Your experience with silicate dosing

AutumnReefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was curious if you all saw more sponges pop up after dosing silicate. I am considering it as I enjoyed the yellow puffy sponges I had before I cared about using DI resin (I think that is why they died out) but I am wondering if its worth dosing another liquid. I don't want to test for it so I would be dosing half the recommended amount if that at all (thinking about brightwell sponge excel).

Cory

More than 25 years reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dose but my salifert test never detects it. I use sodium silicate (water glass) i dose 1ml per day for a week now. Ive noticed an increase in white sponges under the rocks. I also have that yellow encrusting sponge and some tubucate white tube looking thing. I didnt noticed any diatom growth either which makes me wonder if its actually silicate!

elysics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dose what I think I calculated a long while ago to be roughly 1ppm daily. I put it in my alkalinity reservoir, as I found that splitting that much into less than 4 doses gives me a local cloud of high ph travelling around the tank and really ticking my zoas off

Got relatively small sponges all around the tank and this guy that came from nothing whose growth I definitely attribute to the dosing
IMG_20210415_174823.jpg

Cory

More than 25 years reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dose what I think I calculated a long while ago to be roughly 1ppm daily. I put it in my alkalinity reservoir, as I found that splitting that much into less than 4 doses gives me a local cloud of high ph travelling around the tank and really ticking my zoas off

Got relatively small sponges all around the tank and this guy that came from nothing whose growth I definitely attribute to the dosing
IMG_20210415_174823.jpg
Oh nice! What did you use to dose water glass?

elysics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh nice! What did you use to dose water glass?
36% technical grade sodium silicate solution from fischar, 5€ per liter and a liter goes a loooong way, I think it was 10 years or more at my current dose for my roughly 15 gallon tank

OP
OP
A

AutumnReefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also wonder if my lawnmower ate those particular sponges I had. Before they disappeared (all but a tiny trace of one left), most had a bite mark that fit the mouth of the blenny, not to mention I thought I saw the blenny nip at one. Then again, I have never heard of a blenny eating a sponge.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 84 56.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.4%

Back