Your favorite phosphate and alk checker?

RobberyinCSharp1824

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently learned about the Hanna reef chemistry testers and they've piqued my interest, particularly for the phosphate and alkalinity measurements of my tank.

I've been using API for phosphates, and both API/Salifert for Alk. I've been told by other forum members and pros in the field to ditch API for good. Which is fine, because I've come to love Salifert. However, both API and Salifert are giving me off-the-chart alk readings, both within the 15.5-15.9 range. My Salifert Ca reading is about 470ppm, which makes sense and I think is reflected in the fact that all my corals are healthy. I also feel like an alk reading THAT high would show in the health of my fish, too. I was told the phosphate checker for API is highly unreliable and likely not giving me correct readings.

So, have any of you used the Hanna checkers? What are your thoughts on them, and would you recommend them? And if you use something else, what do you use?

LILBUDDHA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I owned a Hanna Phos low range checker and it worked great . If I do get another one I will try the ULR Pho checker .
I am not comfortable with the alk checker . I saw a friends unit go bonkers. I prefer the Red Sea Foundation Pro ALK,CALCIUM,MAG kit .
All the rest of the needs are Sera for ammonia n Nitrate.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 17 8.3%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 35 17.2%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 136 66.7%
  • Neither.

Votes: 10 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.9%
Back