Your favorite seaweed sheets for your tang gang

Fishingandreefing

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The seaweed sheets that sold by pet stores are absolutely insane in price. I have been using this for the past two years but the price jumped since

Nagai Deluxe Sushi Nori, 50 Count

I was wonder if this one works, it’s ingredients say 100% seaweed and has zero sodium but then it say “5mg” so I figure I double check here:
100 Full Size Sheet 260g Premium Restaurant Quality / Yaki Sushi Nori Roasted Seaweed Rolls 'n Wraps Laver, Resealable Bag - Full Sheet - 260g ( 100 Sheets ) - Very Fresh / 김, のり, 海苔, 紫菜

Or what do you use?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I like my Ocean Nutrition seaweed sheets

ludnix

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the sushi rolling sheets from my local japanese market, or at least I used to when things were open. There is a difference between the sushi sheets and the nori sold for reef tanks in that some of the nori sold for reef tanks is sun dried instead of roasted or baked. You can tell a big difference in how dry the sheets are. I have no idea if this imparts any benefit to the fish though, I use them interchangably. As long as there are no additives or seasoning I'm happy to use it.

Kryptonian

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Tangs and Angels really like Julian Spring's Sea Veggies. I switch off between green and purple. Price isn't bad. About $10 for approx 50-60 good sized sheets.

Fishurama

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use San Franscico bay brand nori sheets. I buy it buy the 100 count since it's cheaper and i feed my 9 inch Tang 1 full size sheet a day. Loves it. My issue is with using "human grade" might be cheaper, but sometimes comes with the cancer warning like Nagai does for example. So i skip it.

SF bay brand link

big boy.jpg
big boy and goniopora.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
F

Fishingandreefing

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use San Franscico bay brand nori sheets. I buy it buy the 100 count since it's cheaper and i feed my 9 inch Tang 1 full size sheet a day. Loves it.
SF bay brand link

big boy.jpg
big boy and goniopora.jpg
I wonder if there’s any different perhaps better quality control or “safer” if it’s made for fish but $47? That’s at least 3-4 times more expensive.

Fishurama

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wonder if there’s any different perhaps better quality control or “safer” if it’s made for fish but $47? That’s at least 3-4 times more expensive.

Im sure the quality is a lot better on the SF bay stuff, it's red,brown, and green algae and it doesnt come with a cancer warning like the Nagai stuff does. So it's going to have a high amount of lead or something in it for it to earn that warning.

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Front left is a feeding station with caulerpa brachypus I grow in the sump and little tank, free food! ;)

DSC_0011 (1024x712).jpg

OP
OP
F

Fishingandreefing

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im sure the quality is a lot better on the SF bay stuff, it's red,brown, and green algae and it doesnt come with a cancer warning like the Nagai stuff does. So it's going to have a high amount of lead or something in it for it to earn that warning.
No offense, but based on my theory is that the SF product was made for fish so I don’t think there’s a need to warn about cancer. On the other brands that’s made for human consumption, I think by law it’s required. Unless there’s a solid evidence to proof that’s its way better or else I would stay with what I have been using.

mtfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also buy mine at the Asian market, one hundred large sheets in a package. I feed two of those sheets a day so it last me about 1 1/2 months. This is the only way I can afford it. I figure if it is made for human consumption, my fish have no right to complain!

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 111 77.1%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 11 7.6%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 20 13.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.4%
Back