Your opinion on drilling full tank?

Conrad Noto

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just saw guy's post on Facebook. He is going to drill overflow and return on tank. Tank is full and fully stocked, looks like 300gal. I'm thinking not the best idea. Your thoughts?

NicksTanks223

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just saw guy's post on Facebook. He is going to drill overflow and return on tank. Tank is full and fully stocked, looks like 300gal. I'm thinking not the best idea. Your thoughts?
i would do that. Doesn’t sound like a smart idea, seems like to much of a risk to lose everything if something goes wrong.

acro-ed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
It certainly "can" be done, but the risk isn't worth it, in my opinion. If he is intent on doing this remind him not to push, at all, with the drill; let the bit do all of the work even if it seems like it's taking forever. I've drilled countless holes in glass and I wouldn't attempt it unless absolutely necessary.

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
and keep bit wet and cool as possible

peterj66

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It would seem keeping the drillbit cool would be a challenge. I assume the holes would be at the top of the tank but any cracks would be disastrous if they propagate downwards. In short I think it an uneccesary gamble. Removing fish, rock and coral for a day is no big thing.

vanpire

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It depends on whether the tank is glass or acrylic. I have drilled my 300 gallon acrylic tank nearly full of water and fish/coral inside. Didn't miss a beat.

Glass would be another story.

TriggerFinger

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you report results if he goes through with it? I understand not wanting to or having the space to drain 300g plus the livestock but that’s better than it being all over your floor and your aquarium shattered.

vanpire

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It would seem keeping the drillbit cool would be a challenge. I assume the holes would be at the top of the tank but any cracks would be disastrous if they propagate downwards. In short I think it an uneccesary gamble. Removing fish, rock and coral for a day is no big thing.

I would not say it is no big thing. Trust me. It is a major undertaking to do this for a 300 gallon, but worth the effort when drilling a glass tank.

nicsound

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Absolutely not! I'm sure it could be possible if done under certain perfect conditions but the massive forces involved in 300g of water pushing on that glass, mixed with the local temperature change and other forces applied by drilling are just begging for a catastrophic crack.

Just compare the hassle of taking down the tank and drilling it safely with having to carry out an emergency rehoming of livestock, cleaning up the resulting destruction of your home and eventual replacement of the tank when it shatters on you and it's a no-brainer for me.

reefer fro canada

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have drilled numerous holes in glass tanks.Did some on the bottom if not tempered glass and on sides for over flows.The trick is you must support the glass so it doesn't move at all.When I was doing it we used water and a compound to drill with.The water keeps it cool while drilling.I would never do it dry like I have seen with diamond drills.One small mistake and its all over using water and of course a proper stand to holed the drill dead straight is a must.Not for a beginner.

OP
OP
Conrad Noto

Conrad Noto

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have drilled numerous holes in glass tanks.Did some on the bottom if not tempered glass and on sides for over flows.The trick is you must support the glass so it doesn't move at all.When I was doing it we used water and a compound to drill with.The water keeps it cool while drilling.I would never do it dry like I have seen with diamond drills.One small mistake and its all over using water and of course a proper stand to holed the drill dead straight is a must.Not for a beginner.
He is drilling while tank is full and stocked, he just lowered water 8''

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I find myself paraphrasing Forrest Gump a lot lately ... stupid is what stupid does ....

Billdogg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Doable? Sure. Just not by me or in my house. He's looking at tens of thousands in damages to the house and the probable near total loss of livestock - and insurance might not cover any of it.

The pucker factor is waaay too high for me. He must not realize just what 300g of water looks like when it's just a 1/4" deep - like it will be throughout his house if there's a problem.

VIDEO PLEASE!!!

jerrod

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did it to a baffle in my sump with nets to collect debris before but there is no way I would do that on a tank.

Jedi Knghit

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems like a recipe for disaster.

Full disclosure: I have never drilled a tank

notsobigtime

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cracking an empty tank is bad enough to have to patch or replace glass. I couldn't imagine 300 gallons of water with stock all coming loose at once.

Possible? Sure. Recommended? Definitely not.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 130 75.1%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 16 9.2%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 25 14.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.2%
Back