Your Resident Electrician for all your electrical questions!

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
uploadfromtaptalk1398216170448.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1398216205456.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1398216259914.jpg

Not sure how good the pics are. The canopy is on the tank and atm I have no one to help lift it off. It's a heavy, awkward 6' canopy with LEDs and CF lighting also.

I've been doing some reading. These lights were extreamly bright when they were lit. ATI coral+ & ATI purplr+. Could this ballast (ice cap 430 ) have made them that way and burnt them out?

Jackie

ChouDawg

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LOL I am an electrician... 14 years and counting now...

We wire houses with 20 amp wire exclusively. But that's just how we roll and really the larger wire isn't much more expensive.

if the wire has 14 awg then its a 15 amp, if it has 12 awg its a 20 amp

you will see it on the wire, you should take a picture of the wire with the number. to make sure.

hello. I am a master electrician and licensed in 26 states. I do residential, commercial and industrial. 14 AWG is standard on older houses. In a good hand full of states its now code to use 12 AWG on new houses or houses with 12 AWG as standard. The true pro con to 12 - 14 AWG is 12 can take more heat being good for less chance of overloading. 14 is good because it saves money for smaller loads but bad because it overloads a lot easier. I personally recommend using 12 AWG on any new install. People will argue or agree weather I recommend 12 or 14 AWG. If your looking to be "more safe" with any gauge, get GFI breakers. Note you cannot put a GFI receptacle on the same circuit as a GFI breaker. You can only do one or the other.

Thank you to everyone for the detailed replies, I will check on the wiring and report back. Should I check this at the circuit breaker box or at any of the receptacles on that circuit? I already put a GFCI outlet on the receptacle my tank is on but if I do end up moving it to its own circuit breaker would a GFCI circuit breaker be better than a GFCI outlet or are they the same?

newjack0000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you to everyone for the detailed replies, I will check on the wiring and report back. Should I check this at the circuit breaker box or at any of the receptacles on that circuit? I already put a GFCI outlet on the receptacle my tank is on but if I do end up moving it to its own circuit breaker would a GFCI circuit breaker be better than a GFCI outlet or are they the same?

If you are talking about checking the amp rating and gauge of wire you would have to check this at the panel orrr if the wire is in the attic or crawlspace or somewhere u can get to were its not stripped it would be a lot more safe. If you check in the panel you will have to open it and that can be very very deadly dangerous if you don't know what your doing and were exposed energized parts are. Ive seen a guy have his finger tips melted off and heat stopped because he put his hand in the wrong place while putting the cover back on.

There is a slight chance you could find it behind a receptacle. Make sure the circuit is off before you even take the cover off. Pull out the receptacle holding it my the ears. (the metal flanges on the top and bottom) and look all around the wires for writing. If that does not work send me a pic of behind the receptacle and I should be able to tell.

You can really tell this just by looking at the breakers because you can put a 15amp breaker on 20 amp 12AWG wire.

OK for the GFI. What I have always done with change orders or new installs for fishy circuits (lol what we call them for circuits dedicated for tanks) is a WRGFI (Weather Resistant GFI receptacle) This is the best one for moist environments. as for standard GFI and GFI breaker there close to being the same in safety. Its a preference thing.

newjack0000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure how good the pics are. The canopy is on the tank and atm I have no one to help lift it off. It's a heavy, awkward 6' canopy with LEDs and CF lighting also.

I've been doing some reading. These lights were extreamly bright when they were lit. ATI coral+ & ATI purplr+. Could this ballast (ice cap 430 ) have made them that way and burnt them out?

Jackie

It is possible and likely in this case.

Its hard to tell with the blue tent. I cant tell if the wire is burnt, melted, old and dirty or if there's a skinned spot. I am still leaning at bad ballast. You could always try to get a new ballast and hook it up. If it does not fix the problem then take it back and tell them its the wrong type and they don't have the right one.

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is possible and likely in this case.

Its hard to tell with the blue tent. I cant tell if the wire is burnt, melted, old and dirty or if there's a skinned spot. I am still leaning at bad ballast. You could always try to get a new ballast and hook it up. If it does not fix the problem then take it back and tell them its the wrong type and they don't have the right one.

That's a great idea! I only have a Lowes near me. Any idea what ballast I should look for?

Jackie

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just looked at lowes and HD and I am now at a loss. Lowes barely has any ballasts and what they have won't support 2- 80w 60" t5. But HD has many ballasts but I'm not sure what one to get. And most have to be ordered online.

Would this one work?
uploadfromtaptalk1398269098303.jpg

newjack0000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that is a commercial ballast and the most popular one I install in storage facilities. It is a PITA! There easy to hook up but about 50% of them are defective and unstable. I cant really tell if it will work without the actual specs of what you already have and the new one.

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The one I already have is an icecap 430 and believe it either blew out or blew my brand new bulbs. It used to be used for 2 t12 vho. I now have 2 60" ati 80w. I need to get a ballast that won't break the bank and will work for these bulbs to see it the problem is the ballast.

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The one I already have is an icecap 430 and believe it either blew out or blew my brand new bulbs. It used to be used for 2 t12 vho. I now have 2 60" ati 80w. I need to get a ballast that won't break the bank and will work for these bulbs to see it the problem is the ballast.

First, CoralVue might still be able to help you with the old ballast.

Last, I think the ballast you showed in that strange looking app should work fine...make sure you can install it though. (Or that they have a good return policy if you aren't buying local.) Shouldn't be anything out of the ordinary from the reading...

-Matt

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ballasts came. I understand how to do the bulb wiring but the cord hookup is different than I've done before. Does anyone know what the order is here?
uploadfromtaptalk1399040348486.jpg

Jackie

newjack0000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah yes good old pin socketS. It should have came with a little folded up paper. Should show you in there. Can't really tell with the pic. It does not look labeled. All ballasts after. Diffrent so there's no telling from just looking at it. Don't try to do it without something showing witch one is witch. If its wrong it will blow up the ballast

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 3 1.5%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 2.0%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 28 14.3%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 94 48.0%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 62 31.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.6%
Back