Status
Not open for further replies.

cmcoker

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's pretty funny....he needs to correct that so that people use the kits correctly.....subtracting the syringe reading from 1.0. He didn't do that!!! That is, he was looking for 0.88 for calcium....the syringe will actually read 0.12 (1.0 - 0.12 = 0.88)

I also got a kick out of how he said photometer. He said pho-to-me-ter.....it's pronounced pho-tom-e-ter.

Haven't read the rest of the posts yet, but I agree. I also like all the fingerprints he left on the cuvette for the photometer reading.

Sabellafella

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Hello,
I am by no means an expert in water testing. However I was just doing a scroll of YouTube last night and I came across a guy testing "D&D" water. He states that the water will match up exactly to the parameters stated on the bag. As I watched it he falsely measure the red sea kit to make the measurements "perfect". I do not know if I'm allowed to post the video but it's one of Farm boy reefs videos go take a look. I am posting this just in case the video persuaded some of you to buy D&D salt.
Haha i seen this the otherday thought it was funny, hes a cool dude though

Sabellafella

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
That's pretty funny....he needs to correct that so that people use the kits correctly.....subtracting the syringe reading from 1.0. He didn't do that!!! That is, he was looking for 0.88 for calcium....the syringe will actually read 0.12 (1.0 - 0.12 = 0.88)

I also got a kick out of how he said photometer. He said pho-to-me-ter.....it's pronounced pho-tom-e-ter.
Lol he calles harlequin shrimp a harlem shrimp in one of his videos

omykiss001

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OMG that was shocking. That dude hasn't a clue what he is doing or is just plain fabricating results. Look closely when he uses the hanna Pho-tom-eter when he gets his result in mg/L then translated it to PPM (hint they are they same mg/L = ppm) using that sheet. If you look closely it's the Salifert Mg instructions sheet, lol, not even the Hanna sheet, so pretty much his Mg assays are worthless. Here is what I posted, I'm sure he will remove it soon enough. What a pile of horse poo.

That Ca test read is completely wrong at least the pic you showed. If you dispensed 0.88 mL your plunger should be at the 0.12 mark as the 1.0 mL mark is when the plunger is fully extended and zero the plunger is fully depressed (i.e. all liquid dispensed). Also you did not run the titration to blue it's pretty clear the liquid is still purple which is not the end point of the assay. Not sure if I believe what you've said about the salt seems you just showed the numbers you expected to get not real accurate test runs. I can't comment on the hanna photometer as I can't find the Mg protocol online, but the instrument is reading in ppm already (ppm = mg/L) you looked on a table for a 0.1 and translated to a much higher Mg value that make no sense to what the meter was outputting when I looked at the sheet you are reading from I was shocked to see it is just the Salifert Mg instruction sheet not the hanna which doesn't' even use the same chemistry, so why are you misleading your viewers? Also the way you ran the red sea test I would not believe that result as you were add titrant way to quickly to get an accurate end point measure. Maybe you did this correctly and were "just showing examples" of the test for the vid, but given these guys (D&D) sponsor you it looks like you are just making the sponsor happy or just don't have a clue what you are doing. I'm guessing you'll just pull this comment off, but figure if one or 2 folks see it maybe they will be skeptical. Everything in this video is misleading and not correct or accurate by a long shot.

Sabellafella

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Haha oh wow, didnt even see the salifert paper for the hannah checker. Oh , hes just a little doofy, i dont think anyone would ever purposely do this especially on a youtube video

ReefFrenzy

Shrimp Pimp
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha oh wow, didnt even see the salifert paper for the hannah checker. Oh , hes just a little doofy, i dont think anyone would ever purposely do this especially on a youtube video

@Sabellafella We would all like to think that fellow hobbyists are always good natured and looking to spread information to educate hobbyists but this is not always the case. A little over a year ago my company was the target of an attack by a "public figure" in our hobby who had a Youtube channel and active Facebook page. This person used their social media reach to spread lies and fear about toxic levels of mercury in a "popular frozen aquarium food" which ultimately turned out to be LRS. Fortunately industry experts and writers picked up the story and did a THREE PART investigative series on this subject. All of the allegations proved to be unfounded and false. The entire story was a make believe attempt to hurt our family business.

Here is a link to the article: http://www.reef2rainforest.com/2015...-and-the-controversy-that-shouldnt-have-been/

Please note that parts two and three of the article are links listed below the header of the article. If you choose to read the entire series, especially part three, you will learn that there never was any risk of mercury in aquarium foods, there was no university study, and there were no lab results presented as documented proof. The person who made such false claims was subsequently banished from the industry over the fabricated story and every sponsor severed ties. Coincidentally his last video before the "toxic mercury" story broke was done to promote another brand of frozen food whose owner is pictured in the first article. So it appears that not all of the people posting self-help videos have the best intentions. Anyone can make a video testing or evaluating a product, and my website and social media pages have dozens of LRS feeding videos. Videos can be an amazing way to market a product. However, as folks have pointed out producing a misleading video to bolster claims about a product to a captive audience of 10,000 followers does nothing to help the hobby. If actions like these go unchecked hobbyists may make purchasing decisions based on inaccurate information presented in such videos.

Sabellafella

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
@Sabellafella while all of us would like to think that fellow hobbyists are always good natured and looking to help spread information to help the hobby, this is not always the case. A little over a year ago my company was the target of an attack by a "public figure" in our hobby who had a Youtube channel and active Facebook page. This person used their social media reach to spread lies and fear about toxic levels of mercury in a "popular frozen aquarium food" which ultimately turned out to be LRS. Fortunately industry experts and writers picked up the story and did a THREE PART investigative series on this subject. All of the allegations proved to be unfounded and false. The entire story was a make believe attempt to hurt our family business.

Here is a link to the article: http://www.reef2rainforest.com/2015...-and-the-controversy-that-shouldnt-have-been/

Please note that parts two and three of the article are links listed below the header of the article. If you choose to read the entire series, especially part three, you will learn that there never was any risk of mercury in aquarium foods, there was no university study, and there were no lab results presented as documented proof. The person who made such false claims was subsequently banished from the industry over the fabricated story and never heard from again. Coincidentally his last video before the "toxic mercury in LRS" story broke was done to promote another brand of frozen food which is pictured in the article. So it appears that not all of the people posting self-help videos have the best intentions.

I made a public post on my Larry DuPont Facebook page on May 18th which included screenshots of a Facebook "troll" operating under a fake profile. Anyone can go view it to this day as there are nearly 100 responses. People came out of the woodwork to state that persons were sending private messages claiming LRS foods were "contaminated" and also users were adding them to the Farm Boy Reef group without permission. Two of the many fake profiles are "Jake Sprung" and "Bobby Samuel." In speaking with others in the industry it seems that many vendors who were not sponsors of Farm Boy Reef were also slandered. It seems if you sponsor this Facebook group you are given extra kudos, but if you don't you get your name dragged though the mud. It is really sad that individuals would use their reach on social media to try and promote products in a manner which is not fair and balanced.

I don't normally engage in social media drama or acknowledge this nonsense but disingenuous people like this need to be shut down. Screenshots are your friend in this digital age and I have dozens backing up what I have stated above.
Gees who in the world would ever hate on an lrs food lol even if its a competitor. If ever any toxic level of mercury are found in fish, wed humans would be in big trouble lol

kingdog22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,
I am by no means an expert in water testing. However I was just doing a scroll of YouTube last night and I came across a guy testing "D&D" water. He states that the water will match up exactly to the parameters stated on the bag. As I watched it he falsely measure the red sea kit to make the measurements "perfect". I do not know if I'm allowed to post the video but it's one of Farm boy reefs videos go take a look. I am posting this just in case the video persuaded some of you to buy D&D salt.
Lol! Plus he tried to hide the vile with the card! He put wayyyy more solution after it turned blue. And even before.
That was a 100% Douchbag move!

kingdog22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OMG that was shocking. That dude hasn't a clue what he is doing or is just plain fabricating results. Look closely when he uses the hanna Pho-tom-eter when he gets his result in mg/L then translated it to PPM (hint they are they same mg/L = ppm) using that sheet. If you look closely it's the Salifert Mg instructions sheet, lol, not even the Hanna sheet, so pretty much his Mg assays are worthless. Here is what I posted, I'm sure he will remove it soon enough. What a pile of horse poo.

That Ca test read is completely wrong at least the pic you showed. If you dispensed 0.88 mL your plunger should be at the 0.12 mark as the 1.0 mL mark is when the plunger is fully extended and zero the plunger is fully depressed (i.e. all liquid dispensed). Also you did not run the titration to blue it's pretty clear the liquid is still purple which is not the end point of the assay. Not sure if I believe what you've said about the salt seems you just showed the numbers you expected to get not real accurate test runs. I can't comment on the hanna photometer as I can't find the Mg protocol online, but the instrument is reading in ppm already (ppm = mg/L) you looked on a table for a 0.1 and translated to a much higher Mg value that make no sense to what the meter was outputting when I looked at the sheet you are reading from I was shocked to see it is just the Salifert Mg instruction sheet not the hanna which doesn't' even use the same chemistry, so why are you misleading your viewers? Also the way you ran the red sea test I would not believe that result as you were add titrant way to quickly to get an accurate end point measure. Maybe you did this correctly and were "just showing examples" of the test for the vid, but given these guys (D&D) sponsor you it looks like you are just making the sponsor happy or just don't have a clue what you are doing. I'm guessing you'll just pull this comment off, but figure if one or 2 folks see it maybe they will be skeptical. Everything in this video is misleading and not correct or accurate by a long shot.
Oh course he deleted it. Dude is no way cool! He is shady though. I commented but he'll probably delete it instead of correct his screw up like a man. It's crazy that he thinks people are that stupid! We can all give the video a Thumbs Down! The thumbs down already surpasses thumbs up!

mattsreefadise

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I copied and pasted your comment. And I'll be reposting it everytime he deletes it.
Im also spreading the link around.
I absolutely hate people like this

mattsreefadise

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
9eb5a6fb0a81e56e26e360d9fcf2c9e7.jpg

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have viewed the video and parts a few times and while I can see where the mistake is made, and there was mistakes, I can't for sure say that it was or was not done intentionally. I do know Ryan from meeting him at a show but I personally don't know how he conducts business. I can't attest to one thing or another. I can't refute or confirm anything except that a mistake was made. Was it purposeful or accidental? Maybe, maybe not. That being said I am not on one side or another but I am on the side of R2R and our terms of service. We go to great lengths to ensure that no one feels bullied or flamed. I can't in good conscience allow this thread to go on because we're just not going to be "that" forum. Thank you for your understanding in this matter..

We aim to ensure that the forum is an enjoyable place that you want to visit time and time again. Our underlying philosophy is that the strength of the member relationships we build here is what sets us apart from the other boards - we are friendlier, more civil, more insightful, more mature and more fun.

* R2R encourages the beneficial exchange of information, ideas, and opinions and we expect members to do so respectfully and thoughtfully. Personal attacks on others will not be tolerated.

* Do not post unsubstantiated gossip, libelous remarks or directly misleading information.

Terms of Service

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 29 15.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 110 58.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.4%
Back