Yup, another powerhead/flow configuration question!

SallyWho

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hiya, guys! I searched around the forum and got some good ideas on which powerheads seem to be good and the best places to put them, but I'm still undecided. I don't have the tank yet, but I know what it will be- a 4x2x2' 120g with a low profile shadow type overflow, eventually a mixed reef. I'll likely be using an island type scape. I have a couple of different configurations in mind, and since this will be my first reef tank, I'm not sure which will be best.

Option 1: One powerhead on each side of the tank blowing against each other, with one on the back wall blowing towards the front. The powerhead on the back will be somewhat smaller, and placed lower to try to eliminate dead spots in the back of the tank. Or should the smaller dead-spot-eliminator go on one side of the tank, further back and lower than the bigger one providing primary flow?

Option 2: A gyre type powerhead on one side, with a more conventional powerhead on the other, programmed to move the point where the two currents meet around the tank throughout the day. Variable turbulence is apparently a good thing. A dead-spot-eliminator in the back- either on the back wall, or along one side.

Option 3: A gyre type powerhead on one side, with two powerheads in the back corners angled towards the front.

What do you think about these possible configurations? Would you do something entirely different? Do you think the dead-spot-eliminator powerhead is even necessary, or should I wait and see where cyano/dinos show up before placing one? If I go with a gyre type powerhead, which would be sufficient for a 120g without blowing my corals off the rocks or sloshing water over the top? And I'm still internally debating on whether or not to get Neptune WAVs or Vortech MP40s. I'd really appreciate any input or advice you may have. Thanks!

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm curious why you aren't considering a gyre on each end? That is the setup I currently have and love it. I've kept my MP40's to use on the back wall if I need them for a little extra turbulence but so far it isn't necessary.

OP
OP
SallyWho

SallyWho

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm curious why you aren't considering a gyre on each end? That is the setup I currently have and love it. I've kept my MP40's to use on the back wall if I need them for a little extra turbulence but so far it isn't necessary.
If you have a gyre on both sides, how do you sync them? Set both to have the current output on top, or below? Or opposite of each other? I guess I'm not familiar enough with gyres to have considered using two of them, but you make a point worth considering. I'll have to add gye research to my to-do list! Do you know if they come Apex-ready, or are at least compatible?

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have a gyre on both sides, how do you sync them? Set both to have the current output on top, or below? Or opposite of each other? I guess I'm not familiar enough with gyres to have considered using two of them, but you make a point worth considering. I'll have to add gye research to my to-do list! Do you know if they come Apex-ready, or are at least compatible?
I use the Maxspect Gyre controller. It uses one controller for two pumps. I find the built in programs to be better than what can be set up in an Apex. If you want to make them Apex controllable you can. Instead of buying the Maxspect controller, buy 2 of the Icecap controllers for them. The only issue I have with it is that Apex limits the number of points you can program in.

I recommend checking out this video, starting at about the 8 minute mark.
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/t...brstv-investigates.333014/page-7#post-4158653

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 77 55.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.5%
Back