YWG suddenly dead. What should I look for?

KonradTO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all.
Sad day. My YWG died suddenly. It was a couple of days that was breathig a bit faster than usual (75 bpm) and not getting out of its cave for feeding. Very unusual.
Is there something I should look for before disposing of him?
The only thing that I can think of is that I increased temperatures from 26.5 to 27.5 slowly in a week to fight dinos. But that seems too slow increase for giving a problem. Also other fish look fine. I did not add any new fish recently apart from 2 small black mollies ( which unfortunately did not survive the acclimation to saltwater).

OP
OP
KonradTO

KonradTO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not see anything suspicious
IMG-20220615-WA0011.jpg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Dino is not going to kill a fish unless there’s a level of toxins in the water. With this type of fishing spending a lot of time hiding, there could be internal or bacterial issue they often are susceptible to.
Fast breathing should have been a red flag looking at ammonia, temperature, ph, salinity and nitrate levels followed by water change
Does tank still have Dino?

OP
OP
KonradTO

KonradTO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dino is not going to kill a fish unless there’s a level of toxins in the water. With this type of fishing spending a lot of time hiding, there could be internal or bacterial issue they often are susceptible to.
Fast breathing should have been a red flag looking at ammonia, temperature, ph, salinity and nitrate levels followed by water change
Does tank still have Dino?
Temperature is 27.5 celsius. Ph I don't test, salinity 35ppt and nitrates stable at 10ppm.
Ammonia I don't think I can have a spike after a year and loads of rocks and biofilters. Nothing died recently in the tank.
I still have dinos in the sand and some on the rocks.

OP
OP
KonradTO

KonradTO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you QT and treat with copper and something for flukes? Possible it's something like a gill fluke that just took a long time to kill.

#fishmedic
I had the goby for 8 months but I never QTed any fish. Few months ago the ywg had some big white bumps near the eye and was diagnosed as bacterial infection by Jay. I just fed some garlic in the food and the infection receded and left only some small scars

OP
OP
KonradTO

KonradTO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also reading some threads it seems to me that breathing rates of 70 bpm is fairly normal right?

OP
OP
KonradTO

KonradTO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you QT and treat with copper and something for flukes? Possible it's something like a gill fluke that just took a long time to kill.

#fishmedic
Is there a way to diagnose fluke with a microscope or a test in freshwater with a dead fish?
I stored the ywg in the fridge in case I can do some tests to find out what happened

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Temperature is 27.5 celsius. Ph I don't test, salinity 35ppt and nitrates stable at 10ppm.
Ammonia I don't think I can have a spike after a year and loads of rocks and biofilters. Nothing died recently in the tank.
I still have dinos in the sand and some on the rocks.
For Dino:
Prepare by starting with a water change and blow this stuff loose with a turkey baster and siphon up loose particles. Turn lights off (at least white and run blue at 10-15% IF you have light dependant corals) for 5 days and at night dose 1ml of 3% hydrogen peroxide per 10 gallons for all 5 nights. If you dont have light dependent coral- turn all lights off. During the day dose 1ml of liquid bacteria (such as bacteria 7 or XLM) per 10 gallons. Clean filters daily and DO NOT FEED CORAL FOODS OR ADD NOPOX

Regarding ammonia, never rule it out. Takes one piece of rotted food, dead plant matter such as chesto or plugged filter to raise it. My main tank at 7 years occasionally has a small rise likely from fecal matter, hence water change need beside replenishing elements

OP
OP
KonradTO

KonradTO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there a way to diagnose fluke with a microscope or a test in freshwater with a dead fish?
I stored the ywg in the fridge in case I can do some tests to find out what happened
Just to rule it out, is there a way to check for flukes?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also reading some threads it seems to me that breathing rates of 70 bpm is fairly normal right?

I wouldn't be too concerned with a goby breathing at 70 BPM at that temperature.

Jay

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to rule it out, is there a way to check for flukes?

If the fish is FRESHLY dead (less than an hour or two) you can give it a FW dip and then look at the bottom of the container with a microscope for flukes. Trouble is, the flukes drop off a dead fish pretty quickly.....

Jay

OP
OP
KonradTO

KonradTO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the fish is FRESHLY dead (less than an hour or two) you can give it a FW dip and then look at the bottom of the container with a microscope for flukes. Trouble is, the flukes drop off a dead fish pretty quickly.....

Jay
Thanks for your feedback Jay. I cannot say how long ago it died. Definitely much longer than 2 hours. Is possible to get flukes from live rocks ? It is the only thing I introduced in the tank recently. If it is actually flukes how long it would take before I start to see negative effects in the rest of the fish?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for your feedback Jay. I cannot say how long ago it died. Definitely much longer than 2 hours. Is possible to get flukes from live rocks ? It is the only thing I introduced in the tank recently. If it is actually flukes how long it would take before I start to see negative effects in the rest of the fish?

Yes - egg laying flukes produce sticky eggs that attached to live rock and can easily be moved tank to tank. Then, fluke infections are slow to take off - possibly months can go by with no symptoms in the fish.....

Jay

OP
OP
KonradTO

KonradTO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish just die man. Or maybe im the ONLY one on R2R that thinks like that. Oh and every LFS I visit. I added a yellow watchman a month ago in a 13.5. Been mia since day 2.
No I know that. But we are responsible for the wellness of the fish we keep and if they die for something I do it p**ses me off.
Also he might have died for natural causes (he was quite huge, maybe was old) but given that I am having quite a lot of problems with the tank between GHA, dinos and corals not growing a single mm in months I tend to think that I did something wrong

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 92 80.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.4%
Back