YWG suddenly dead. What should I look for?

OP
OP
KonradTO

KonradTO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes - egg laying flukes produce sticky eggs that attached to live rock and can easily be moved tank to tank. Then, fluke infections are slow to take off - possibly months can go by with no symptoms in the fish.....

Jay
Ouch. I think I will start recording fish breathing rates so I have a baseline to compare with in case they behave weird.
Hopefully it is not flukes.

doubleshot00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No I know that. But we are responsible for the wellness of the fish we keep and if they die for something I do it p**ses me off.
Also he might have died for natural causes (he was quite huge, maybe was old) but given that I am having quite a lot of problems with the tank between GHA, dinos and corals not growing a single mm in months I tend to think that I did something wrong
Most of what we do is trial and error. Just because someone has a lot of experience doesn’t mean they have the correct answer. All tanks are different. Were trying to have a mini reef in our house. Its tough.

OP
OP
KonradTO

KonradTO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok thanks everyone for the feedback. I truly hope it was a natural death of age or lingering- non incfectious disease. Next week I am going to leave the tank unattended in autopilot mode for about 10 days so I have limited margin of action..

OP
OP
KonradTO

KonradTO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most of what we do is trial and error. Just because someone has a lot of experience doesn’t mean they have the correct answer. All tanks are different. Were trying to have a mini reef in our house. Its tough.
Yes sometimes I think its even too ambitious. Then I see some peoples tank and I want to reach something like that too.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would amphidinium kill a big goby? He survived the ostreopsis outbreak..
Oh I don't know. I had a YWG in my tank for about a month then he started glass surfing stressed instead of chilling with his cave. It was obvious the environment was not to his liking so I had to bring him back to my LFS.

doubleshot00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes sometimes I think its even too ambitious. Then I see some peoples tank and I want to reach something like that too.
I want the same thing you want if it happens it happens if not it is what it is.

My dad had a tank when i was kid late 80’s. 29 gal tall 2 clowns, huge bta and a 12”eel. Had it for years. Never tested a thing, changed the water but once every other month(and thats a maybe) and had that tank for years. No algae but the uglys. I don’t get why its so hard now to tell you the truth.

OP
OP
KonradTO

KonradTO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh I don't know. I had a YWG in my tank for about a month then he started glass surfing stressed instead of chilling with his cave. It was obvious the environment was not to his liking so I had to bring him back to my LFS.
Is swimming against the glass a sign of stress? I had my YWG doing it from time to time and also my sixline does that every now and then. I thought it was just something that they do when they see they reflection against the glass and display some territorial behavior

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is swimming against the glass a sign of stress? I had my YWG doing it from time to time and also my sixline does that every now and then. I thought it was just something that they do when they see they reflection against the glass and display some territorial behavior
Not always but can be an indicator. YWG are bottom rock dwellers when they start swimming up and down the glass near the top something is wrong in their environment.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.2%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 96 81.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.2%
Back