Zebra Barred Dart Fish has a fat lip

snackpack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We purchased a Zebra barred dart fish a few months ago. It looked great when it first went in the tank for about two weeks, then it developed a "fat lip". We've seen it get better and we've seen it get worse, but we don't believe it's ever gone away entirely. I've been reading up on Lymphocystis - it looks like that, but it's localized to only it's mouth. From what we've been reading, lympho typically spreads over multiple parts of the fish over time. It could be an injury, but it's been like this for a little over two months. I'd imagine it should be healed by now if it was.

We did not do a QT before adding to the tank. Our seller does a rigorous QT procedure before offering any livestock up for sale. There are no other symptoms along with this, other than him being a bit "dumb". He's got a strong appetite and comes up to the surface for feeding, but usually misses the food and tries to eat air a few times before he actually finds the food. We've been feeding a mixture of PE pellets, frozen mysis, and freeze dried brine. Once or twice a week we'll soak the food in Selcon.

It's hard to get a decent picture, as this guy doesn't stay still for very long.

We want to transfer him into the 120 gallon, but are hesitant to introduce something into an otherwise healthy tank, if he's contagious or if it's a parasite.

IMG_3819.jpeg IMG_3818.jpeg

OP
OP
S

snackpack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One more note - he did go through two doses of API General Cure with no change to the lump.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
We purchased a Zebra barred dart fish a few months ago. It looked great when it first went in the tank for about two weeks, then it developed a "fat lip". We've seen it get better and we've seen it get worse, but we don't believe it's ever gone away entirely. I've been reading up on Lymphocystis - it looks like that, but it's localized to only it's mouth. From what we've been reading, lympho typically spreads over multiple parts of the fish over time. It could be an injury, but it's been like this for a little over two months. I'd imagine it should be healed by now if it was.

We did not do a QT before adding to the tank. Our seller does a rigorous QT procedure before offering any livestock up for sale. There are no other symptoms along with this, other than him being a bit "dumb". He's got a strong appetite and comes up to the surface for feeding, but usually misses the food and tries to eat air a few times before he actually finds the food. We've been feeding a mixture of PE pellets, frozen mysis, and freeze dried brine. Once or twice a week we'll soak the food in Selcon.

It's hard to get a decent picture, as this guy doesn't stay still for very long.

We want to transfer him into the 120 gallon, but are hesitant to introduce something into an otherwise healthy tank, if he's contagious or if it's a parasite.

IMG_3819.jpeg IMG_3818.jpeg
Appears to be impact damage or infection as General cure will not do much.

Is fish eating?
If feeding- offer brine shrimp which is palatable and treat in quarantine with seachem neoplex

OP
OP
S

snackpack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Is fish eating?
If feeding- offer brine shrimp which is palatable and treat in quarantine with seachem neoplex
He eats very well once he finds the food. I'll get him in QT with NeoPlex once it arrives, I just ordered it. Thank you!

OP
OP
S

snackpack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Is fish eating?
Just to be clear - am I dosing the tank or medicating the food?

Edit - I've got Kanaplex on hand. Would that do the trick or should I wait for the NeoPlex?

Edit to the edit - Also have MetroPlex apparently if that helps

Last edited:

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Just to be clear - am I dosing the tank or medicating the food?

Edit - I've got Kanaplex on hand. Would that do the trick or should I wait for the NeoPlex?

Edit to the edit - Also have MetroPlex apparently if that helps
I have to be quick as im on a tour- Kanaplex will work also in QT tank as its absorbed by fish

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 6.3%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.9%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 4.7%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 103 80.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.7%
Back