zebra eel

joe0813

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
11 years into the hobby and starting to get bored with my tank and want to try something new. Tank has been up and running now for 3 years at the current house (6 years total) was looking at maybe pulling all the fish rock and sand out and hiding some PVC under the sand and then re-scaping the tank around some more PVC. Looking for some good links or advice about adding a zebra. Would like other kinds of eels but with some of my fish being small and my clown that Ive had for 9 years I don't want to risk her being a snack.

S2G

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Zebra is the best pebble toothed eel imo. That said nothing is 100% but the risk is as low as you can get. There's a catch it needs a big tank. The bioload is a lot to handle. It was overwhelming in a 180 and I ended up giving it to a guy with a 300+. If you have the space and you're nutrient export is on point there's not a better eel imho.

bryanfuel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a zebra for a couple years with clownfish and he never touched them. Crabs were a different story, they would never last more than a week.

OP
OP
joe0813

joe0813

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Zebra is the best pebble toothed eel imo. That said nothing is 100% but the risk is as low as you can get. There's a catch it needs a big tank. The bioload is a lot to handle. It was overwhelming in a 180 and I ended up giving it to a guy with a 300+. If you have the space and you're nutrient export is on point there's not a better eel imho.

I also have a 180 with a skimmer that overpowers my tank. I can't get my nutrients off of zero with it running no matter how much frozen I feed my fish. I know they can get up to 5 feet so im not 100% yet if im going to do this or not. id rather not have to get rid of the eel because my tank isn't good enough.

I had a zebra for a couple years with clownfish and he never touched them. Crabs were a different story, they would never last more than a week.

he can have all the hermits and crabs he wants... they keep wiping out all my snails so buuuh bye

S2G

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also have a 180 with a skimmer that overpowers my tank. I can't get my nutrients off of zero with it running no matter how much frozen I feed my fish. I know they can get up to 5 feet so im not 100% yet if im going to do this or not. id rather not have to get rid of the eel because my tank isn't good enough.

he can have all the hermits and crabs he wants... they keep wiping out all my snails so buuuh bye

Just from my personal experience you'd be better served with a skeletor or a chainlink. I just went through 2 12"+ snowflakes and they were extremely feisty during feeding time. Both chased fish. I took the last one back and ordered a chainlink myself. I had a chainlink from 8" to 2' with no problem.

OP
OP
joe0813

joe0813

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
im just nervous about them eating my fish. Thats why I was leaning towards the zebra

sawdonkey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a big zebra in my 220 and it eats four big shrimp a week and I struggle with nitrates even with biopellets and a big skimmer.

Here’s the real reason I’d advise against getting one.....they are boring!!!!!!!!!!! The are super reclusive and rarely come out. I feed mine every 6-7 days and he only comes out for and hour or so on days five and six when he’s hungry. I guess it does make it kinda special when he comes out?

OP
OP
joe0813

joe0813

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's not set that I'm getting an zebra. Just getting a little bored with this current set up. Weighting my options

S2G

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
im just nervous about them eating my fish. Thats why I was leaning towards the zebra

Chainlink is probably as likely as the zebra to eat fish. Most of the reports of smaller pebble toothed eels eating fish are snowflakes. Chains act just like a zebra just smaller. I had my old one @ 2ft+ with a clown and small fish no issues. Not trying to sell you on it but it's an option.

Here's some adults hunting

OP
OP
joe0813

joe0813

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
chainlink are pretty cool looking. it will be my first eel also. Been doing a lot of reading up on them

OP
OP
joe0813

joe0813

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so I think im going to try out the zebra. worst case is my nitrates stay to high even with gfo, big skimmer and biweekly water changes and I have to either find a new home for him or bump up the water changes to every week. Elliot from Marine collectors has found a few that he is looking at for me.

hrdneglcry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was looking into getting a zebra. I don't want all my hermits eaten. The eel is 35" and my Snowflake and barred eel are only 12" & 13" so I am afraid the huge eel might comsume them. Also my 13" Snowflake attacks my 8" Snorflake very agressively. To the point I think he might ear him. So I relocated the 8" but I'd lile to see if they can live together.

Last edited:
OP
OP
joe0813

joe0813

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was looking into getting a zebra. I don't want all my hermits eaten. The eel is 35" and my Snowflake and barred eel are only 12" & 13" so I am afraid the huge eel might comsume them. Also my 13" Snowflake attacks my 8" Snorflake very agressively. To the point I think he might ear him. So I relocated the 8" but I'd lile to see if they can live together.
You shouldn't have any issues at all... Mine was the most peaceful fish in my reef tank and never touched any snail or hermit. Id be more worried about the other eels picking on him

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 37 23.9%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 33.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 30.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%
Back