Zebra Eel

rbourgeois64

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I woke up this morning to my zebra eel on his side and what looks like labored breathing. I did notice that he didn't eat much the last couple of days. I've had him for a couple of years with not a single issue, what can be the problem. I removed him from the DT and he is in quarantine. What should I do next since I really don't know what I'm treating? Thanks for the input!

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hi, I woke up this morning to my zebra eel on his side and what looks like labored breathing. I did notice that he didn't eat much the last couple of days. I've had him for a couple of years with not a single issue, what can be the problem. I removed him from the DT and he is in quarantine. What should I do next since I really don't know what I'm treating? Thanks for the input!
a couple questions:

1. Did you recently add anything new?
2. Change anything else?
3. Anything else (fish-wise) sick in the tank - or inverts?
4. Do you see any lesions?
5. Perhaps think back to the time his behavior changed - anything new?

If you have a picture/YouTube video - great!! And your water parameters?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
They do not handle ammonia, and nitrate well. Same with water changes which is temporary but they do breathe a little heavier after a feeding
What test kits are you using?

OP
OP
rbourgeois64

rbourgeois64

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Absolutely nothing new in the tank. Only thing that I can say is that he didn't eat in a couple of day. Water quality is good other than DKH being a little high at 10 DKH and in turn elevating the calcium to 500. That is all that I see, I have a water change scheduled for today just in case.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Absolutely nothing new in the tank. Only thing that I can say is that he didn't eat in a couple of day. Water quality is good other than DKH being a little high at 10 DKH and in turn elevating the calcium to 500. That is all that I see, I have a water change scheduled for today just in case.
So - is he the only fish? I thought you separated him from the tank? Have you checked ammonia, etc - any toxins near the tank?

OP
OP
rbourgeois64

rbourgeois64

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They do not handle ammonia, and nitrate well. Same with water changes which is temporary but they do breathe a little heavier after a feeding
What test kits are you using?
I haven't checked ammonia but the nitrates were 6.04 yesterday which is inline with what my reef stays. I see no lesions or anything on him what indicate any trauma. Very confused on what's going on with him.

OP
OP
rbourgeois64

rbourgeois64

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So - is he the only fish? I thought you separated him from the tank? Have you checked ammonia, etc - any toxins near the tank?
I separated him this morning when I found him laboring, checking ammonia as we speak and no toxins near the tank that I can think of. Thanks for all you input.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I haven't checked ammonia but the nitrates were 6.04 yesterday which is inline with what my reef stays. I see no lesions or anything on him what indicate any trauma. Very confused on what's going on with him.
what other fish are in the tank?

costaricareef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FWIW not really much help. My experience with Zebras is not good. Happened twice. At first difficult to feed. Then it comes on suddenly and they feed great. After 12-18 months, they suddenly stop feeding, wither and die. One of them was almost three feet long!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I haven't checked ammonia but the nitrates were 6.04 yesterday which is inline with what my reef stays. I see no lesions or anything on him what indicate any trauma. Very confused on what's going on with him.a
Ammonia is my concern
Because eels are not good house keepers, tend to keep no3 as low as possible

OP
OP
rbourgeois64

rbourgeois64

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FWIW not really much help. My experience with Zebras is not good. Happened twice. At first difficult to feed. Then it comes on suddenly and they feed great. After 12-18 months, they suddenly stop feeding, wither and die. One of them was almost three feet long!
Thats exactly my experience.

SeaworthyAquatics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What and how often are you feeding him? Eels can easily be over fed and develop organ failure overtime and should only be fed about twice a week. They can also go downhill if they don't get a proper variety of food. Feeding something like only krill will lead to deficiencies, namely vitamin B1 or thiamine issues, and eventual death.

OP
OP
rbourgeois64

rbourgeois64

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What and how often are you feeding him? Eels can easily be over fed and develop organ failure overtime and should only be fed about twice a week. They can also go downhill if they don't get a proper variety of food. Feeding something like only krill will lead to deficiencies, namely vitamin B1 or thiamine issues, and eventual death.
I have tried a varied diet, but he wouldn't except much more then shrimp and he would insist on it every night I fed the fish, so you theory is definitely a good one.

I guess there is nothing I can do now but to make him comfortable right, this really has me upset as he was like my dog!

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Ammonia is sitting at 0.25 or slightly less.
ok - I think vetteguy asked - what tests you're using. Why would you think you would have a measurable ammonia - assuming its correct - is that in the tank he is in now? Or your display tank

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tangs, anthias, green cromis, foxface, tusk,clowns.

Just to say, I read through this and I don't see any definitive cause either. As @costaricareef said, they are sometimes difficult to get started to feed, and then they often just drop out on you after a few years, I've never figured out why.

Jay

OP
OP
rbourgeois64

rbourgeois64

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok - I think vetteguy asked - what tests you're using. Why would you think you would have a measurable ammonia - assuming its correct - is that in the tank he is in now? Or your display tank
Only ammonia test I have is an API so that's all I have to go by.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I think ammonia is unlikely - I thought that might have been in your QT tank. (Thanks for answering). Ok - well - I would make sure 1, that your test is accurate (double check it with another one - (could it be expired). 2, Its common to misread/or get slightly positive results. According to the instructions if its just a little discolored, thats 0 as compared to 0.25

Having said that - If the rest of your fish are fine, and its an old tank, etc etc - its highly doubtful that the ammonia is playing a role. I might check for something dead, etc. But - as others have said, the cause is unclear.

Any change in the eel?

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 6.7%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 4.2%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

• I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 96 80.7%
  • Other.

Back