Zebra Moray Eel - yes or no?

Mariette

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Considering one for my 125g 5 foot long tank. TONS of live rock and crevices to hide in. Few questions:
- According to my research, as long as it’s well fed, it shouldn’t eat small fish. True or false?
- what about snails, pistol shrimp, cleaner shrimp, hermit crabs?
- anyone ever been bitten by one of these guys? How bad is it?
- can’t find info about of lids are required.
Anyone?

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 3 footer in my 450. Never ate a fish, that I know of, but my coral banded shrimp went missing shortly thereafter. I have a 4” spiny lobster that has been fine. Mine is quite a picky eater - pretty much just raw table shrimp. I use a feeding stick so no fingers ever get close. I don’t imagine it would try to bite your finger, but they have very poor vision so might latch on by accident. All eels are escape prone so a tight fitting lid is necessary. The problem with my zebra is that you never see it. So kind of pointless.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They aren't fish eaters in nature. They don't have the right teeth for it. That being said, I have seen a snowflake eel eat feeder goldfish out of the water column.

They eat crabs, small urchins, and other inverts in nature...again, look at the teeth. It could be safe with cleaner shrimp, but if you love cleaner shrimp, then maybe skip this eel.

+1 for the lid. It is imperative to keep everything covered, or you will have eel jerky.

OP
OP
Mariette

Mariette

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They aren't fish eaters in nature. They don't have the right teeth for it. That being said, I have seen a snowflake eel eat feeder goldfish out of the water column.

They eat crabs, small urchins, and other inverts in nature...again, look at the teeth. It could be safe with cleaner shrimp, but if you love cleaner shrimp, then maybe skip this eel.

+1 for the lid. It is imperative to keep everything covered, or you will have eel jerky.

I spend a lot of time quarantining my fish and inverts and I get really attached before they make it anywhere near DT. Perhaps the eel is not for me. Thank you

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 24.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 51 34.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 43 29.1%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 14 9.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.7%
Back