Zebra moray in reef tank

shoelaceike

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

I just wanted some info from people who have had or have one of these eels?

My main concern would be rock stability. My rock is just piled up with very little of it cemented. Would the eel knock down rock and corals?

How safe would my small fish and inverts be?

Any other info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

OP
OP
shoelaceike

shoelaceike

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are some pics of my rockwork. I do have about 4 inches of space between the rock and back wall.....I was thinking that I can put some PVC pipes back there and then would it leave the rock work alone?
IMG_20160214_095636.jpg
IMG_20160214_095641.jpg
IMG_20160214_095646.jpg
IMG_20160214_095659.jpg

Duke4Life

Just a crazy eel guy, LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Inverts would be my only concern as they are good about not going after fish unless left for a lengthy period and have no other food source and get hungry. I'd be making sure any rock is secure, think about how a snake (hate to use that example) moves in the wild. My eel will occasionally bump my coral and I have seen no harm, they just close up for a few minutes but reopen (it's like a hermit or snail harassing them).

With any eel a lid is a must as they escape, having eurobracing at the top may help this, in my case it has as mine will nose out along the outer edges and the bracing has prevented escape so far.

OP
OP
shoelaceike

shoelaceike

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Inverts would be my only concern as they are good about not going after fish unless left for a lengthy period and have no other food source and get hungry. I'd be making sure any rock is secure, think about how a snake (hate to use that example) moves in the wild. My eel will occasionally bump my coral and I have seen no harm, they just close up for a few minutes but reopen (it's like a hermit or snail harassing them).

With any eel a lid is a must as they escape, having eurobracing at the top may help this, in my case it has as mine will nose out along the outer edges and the bracing has prevented escape so far.

Thanks...I have a tight lid. As far as rockwork, how secure? Most are just piled on but will not fall if casually bumped into. The lightest and least secure rock is on top....the bottom rock is mostly big heavy pieces.... Some 30+ lbs

Duke4Life

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks...I have a tight lid. As far as rockwork, how secure? Most are just piled on but will not fall if casually bumped into. The lightest and least secure rock is on top....the bottom rock is mostly big heavy pieces.... Some 30+ lbs
How secure is a good question and not the same for everyone. Your top rocks if an eel was to wrap itself half way around would they be able to move these rocks? I have a pile in my corner that are just stacked but are secured with other rocks that are fine. We're your base rocks added before the sand?

Duke4Life

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 1 that is close to a Zebra, a chainlink and was able to add a couple cleaner shrimp and some peppermints. He never touched the cleaner introduced same time with him but the 2nd and 2 more I tried he ate at about the 2 month mark of adding, the original died of natural causes (was a decent size when I bought), he also hasn't touched the peppermints who share his area (it's also the cleanest).

Duke4Life

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An eels playground there. Very nice looking. Try to find a small 1 as they have fewer experiencs and bad habits than an adult possibly would.

OP
OP
shoelaceike

shoelaceike

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should I defrost frozen food or can I feed it still frozen?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 16.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 6 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 17 16.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 53 52.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 7.9%
Back