Zeovit reef tanks of the world

thatsruff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
did your tank not do well when nitrate and phosphate were zero?

No, it has been cruising along doing well, everything is growing and seems happy. The colors aren't as bright as I would like yet, which might partly be due to nitrate shortage and, mainly, I don't want to risk a dino takeover.

SMSREEF

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am really interested in the zeo method.
I have a 60 cube that is just now getting stable. My dream tank is one like @ycnibrc
So I’m gonna tag along in this thread to learn some of the method.

TexAgReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will be going full zeovit method on my new 235g build. Today is day 3 and I’m following the 14 day cycle guide (https://www.korallen-zucht.de/pages-en/service/initial-cycle-just-14-days.html) though I won’t be adding corals that’s quickly nor will I be running lights for a couple of months.

I also have some live rock from KP Aquatics that I have in QT that I will be adding to the sump eventually for that real ocean bacteria.

Pretty excited to see what this tank can do and excited to learn more about the method. I’m committed to it and also have very high expectations!

ReefHomieJon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To be fair I have seen OP post about skimmers mentioning BOTH of those benefits.

I take it you’re in disagreement and believe a skimmer is necessary?
I haven’t turned my skimmer on in a month and surprisingly my tank just looks so much better .

ReefHomieJon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ycnibrc, I would defiantly say your tanks strayed from a true zeo tank but it’s awesome none the less. Don’t you only dose two zeo products or do you use more?

I would love to see anyone’s tanks that are doing the true zeo method and running a uln system with the pastel look. Ignore the comment about it being ugly, there are people here who can appreciate the work that goes into these tanks and the look as well.
I don’t understand what everyone means by the pastel look. Is it different than normal colored up corals?

OP
OP
ycnibrc

ycnibrc

SOCAL REEF TOTM 11/2019 GHL TOTM 02/2020
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I am really interested in the zeo method.
I have a 60 cube that is just now getting stable. My dream tank is one like @ycnibrc
So I’m gonna tag along in this thread to learn some of the method.
Hi there you can read this thread and learn more about zeovit

OP
OP
ycnibrc

ycnibrc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I've noticed zeostart gave me green film all on glass and bubbles with brown everywhere. I cut out the zeostart since last Friday and bubbles are gone and film is gone. Just dosing zeobak and sponge power
Zeostart3 is very potent just dose 50% of what your tank need. However if your nutrients is good then u can skip it.

OP
OP
ycnibrc

ycnibrc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I will be going full zeovit method on my new 235g build. Today is day 3 and I’m following the 14 day cycle guide (https://www.korallen-zucht.de/pages-en/service/initial-cycle-just-14-days.html) though I won’t be adding corals that’s quickly nor will I be running lights for a couple of months.

I also have some live rock from KP Aquatics that I have in QT that I will be adding to the sump eventually for that real ocean bacteria.

Pretty excited to see what this tank can do and excited to learn more about the method. I’m committed to it and also have very high expectations!
No matter which method u decide they all required time to mature. Zeovit when done right your growth rate is as good as in the ocean since the parameters are the same. My stags grow to basketball size in 1.5 years

Reefdom

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, it has been cruising along doing well, everything is growing and seems happy. The colors aren't as bright as I would like yet, which might partly be due to nitrate shortage and, mainly, I don't want to risk a dino takeover.

I have never been worried by test kits reading zero. My view is that test kits just read residual nutrients in the water, I.e what ever is not being used buy any organism in the tank. Imagine an empty fridge but food being constantly brought to your door instead. Do you also need food in the fridge, maybe, but if you don’t eat that too then someone will. I think the trick is to add nutrients to the point just before they become residual nutrients in the tank.
I feed 3x a day and have a reasonable amount of fish constantly producing waste so I’m confident the tank has stuff in the water. I find if I add more I grow algae and cyano before I get a test kit reading over 5/0.05

thatsruff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have never been worried by test kits reading zero. My view is that test kits just read residual nutrients in the water, I.e what ever is not being used buy any organism in the tank. Imagine an empty fridge but food being constantly brought to your door instead. Do you also need food in the fridge, maybe, but if you don’t eat that too then someone will. I think the trick is to add nutrients to the point just before they become residual nutrients in the tank.
I feed 3x a day and have a reasonable amount of fish constantly producing waste so I’m confident the tank has stuff in the water. I find if I add more I grow algae and cyano before I get a test kit reading over 5/0.05

Seems like a reasonable approach you have.

Reefdom

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems like a reasonable approach you have.
I think Anthony has said many times, find what works for your tank. I watch watching a reef dudes video with a reefer tank tour and he said work with your tank and find what it likes rather than try to force it into something.

Graffiti Spot

Cat and coral maker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t understand what everyone means by the pastel look. Is it different than normal colored up corals?

Sorry I forgot I posted in this thread! So the corals are light colored and have very bright coloration, especially greens and purples and yellows are super vibrant and bright. Especially with whiter bulbs over the tank but impressive either way. Some people say it just makes the corals look pale which it can (when they are small frags, getting blasted on all sides by light) but as they grow they look much better and gain more pigment. Some people don’t like it because it is basically stressing the corals into having less zoox.
Not many use the spur3 that I have seen anymore and I never got the guts to try it since it’s so potent but I did enjoy using aquaforest energy, vitamins and micro e suppliments. Normally the vitamins I don’t tell people is needed but I felt like it helped with health in combo with the other two. That combo really gives a nice sleek sheen to certain corals and makes some colors more vibrant. Probably from the manganese and zinc and some of the colors were better partially because of the copper sulphate they each do different things.
I agree with ybnirc and have seen some crazy stag growth in tanks using methods like this. His tank is a great example of the good growth.

ReefHomieJon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry I forgot I posted in this thread! So the corals are light colored and have very bright coloration, especially greens and purples and yellows are super vibrant and bright. Especially with whiter bulbs over the tank but impressive either way. Some people say it just makes the corals look pale which it can (when they are small frags, getting blasted on all sides by light) but as they grow they look much better and gain more pigment. Some people don’t like it because it is basically stressing the corals into having less zoox.
Not many use the spur3 that I have seen anymore and I never got the guts to try it since it’s so potent but I did enjoy using aquaforest energy, vitamins and micro e suppliments. Normally the vitamins I don’t tell people is needed but I felt like it helped with health in combo with the other two. That combo really gives a nice sleek sheen to certain corals and makes some colors more vibrant. Probably from the manganese and zinc and some of the colors were better partially because of the copper sulphate they each do different things.
I agree with ybnirc and have seen some crazy stag growth in tanks using methods like this. His tank is a great example of the good growth.
O ok. Light n bright

Reefdom

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha, after my comments above I have no3 and po4 of 2.5 & 0.04 lol. Not sure why, I think the zeolites my be exhausted after 6 weeks. I will be leaving them in for 2 more weeks with no changes to general maintenance, feeding and husbandry to see what happens and then swapping them out to see what happens. It might help with understanding whether zeolites are having much of an impact on the tank or not.

RudyVH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi , day 40 in full Zeovit start up , Sps corals ( frags) are growing en coloring very good ( more pastel than before ) my setup is automatic zeoreactor 1 liter , zeobak ,zeostart and sponge power , 8 days ago start adding Acro glow and amino acid = why ? = you need to read your corals and add supplement when needed ( colors,growth etc) .Every 2 weeks 10% water change with additional supplements ( as closed as ocean seawater).

Nutrients are PO4 = 0 , NO3 = 0 , KH = 7.7 ,CA = 420 ,MG = 1300 , Potassium = 390 .

I'm very happy so far with this method and will continue finetuning as good as i can.

Aqua 18-8-2020.PNG

OP
OP
ycnibrc

ycnibrc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hi , day 40 in full Zeovit start up , Sps corals ( frags) are growing en coloring very good ( more pastel than before ) my setup is automatic zeoreactor 1 liter , zeobak ,zeostart and sponge power , 8 days ago start adding Acro glow and amino acid = why ? = you need to read your corals and add supplement when needed ( colors,growth etc) .Every 2 weeks 10% water change with additional supplements ( as closed as ocean seawater).

Nutrients are PO4 = 0 , NO3 = 0 , KH = 7.7 ,CA = 420 ,MG = 1300 , Potassium = 390 .

I'm very happy so far with this method and will continue finetuning as good as i can.

Aqua 18-8-2020.PNG
Looking good if you want to darken your color just raise the nutrients a bit 0.08 and 5ppm

Reefdom

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do any of the Zeovit users here use pohls xtra? If so, how far into running Zeovit did you start using it and what effects did you notice, either positive or negative.

Back