• Total voters

Cherub

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all,

Hopefully this is the right place on the forum to ask.

I have been using kalk on my ATO and frankly that just doesn’t work for me. It’s completely inconsistent and I can certainly attribute this for random losses on occasion. Last week I lost 2 really nice across due to a spike and I am over this mess. I have used 2 part in the past with dosing pumps but I want serious results.

I have been considering zeovit for a couple of months but that reactor cost is ridiculous. Where do companies get off charging 300-600 dollars for an acrylic tube with a handle you have to bounce? (I’m looking at you Korallen-Zucht) It’s not a smart investment IMO for what it is… I get that I lose money to alk spikes with kalk but that doesn't justify the reactor cost still. It could be worse mentality never worked for me because it could also be better. Half glass full, ahem. So as I have been annoyed at that I have also started looking into the triton method as well.

From what I can tell this is an easy way to maintain an aquarium and I was leaning toward it but reading reviews on BRS people are having issues replacing their chemicals? I know there are many users of both. I was hoping people who use either could chime in and help me with my decision? I did search for similar posts and found an old one that wasn’t addressing my questions.

Thanks in advance!

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After a serious look at all of the available 'systems' these days, I made an attempt at implementing Triton on my new aquarium, 8 months back or so.

There are some aspects of the system I really like, but their 4 part didn't work out for me. Algae growth was high, availability problems didn't affect me, but it did affect many new Triton users. Equal parts of their 4pt left me with very high Alk, lower Calc that I like, and lower pH than I like. Just didn't give me what I was looking for. Their ICP testing service is a huge deal, one which I still use, and recommend... but you don't have to use the rest of their system in order to take advantage of it.

I looked at Zeovit, certainly one of the more expensive methods to start with, but cost wasn't the deciding factor for me... It was the rather washed out, pastel colors I keep seeing in zeovit systems. Not what I was looking for. Also, the dozens of small blue bottles, and lack of a clear 'plan' to follow were discouraging.

You think startup costs on Zeovit are hight? Go price a calcium reactor :)

I nearly went with Red Sea's system, but in the end, I prefer a macro algae sump to carbon dosing for nutrient export, and without their NoPox, the system didn't seem complete. I may, at some point, review their 'colors' program again.

BRS 2pt, I've used before. Works fine, but you've got to rely on some separate source for the 'other' components that get used up in our reef systems. With BRS discontinuing the well known, long accepted 'standard' 2pt in favor of the more expensive 'pharma' version... seems like a profit motive change rather than one that is honestly trying to improve the hobby. That's not something I want to support.

I ended up with ESV's B Ionic, again. Why? Worked for me in the past, price is reasonable, easy to dose, contains at least _some_ of the 'other' nutrients needed. Add in a large, 'Triton style' refugeum, and a couple quarts of matrix, I've found a stable 'system' that works for me.

ksfulk

Working back towards clean
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you might have some things crossed up here... Zeovit isnt an alkalinity system. Zeovit is a nutrient management system - you have to dose Alk/Calcium by some other means. Triton, on the other hand, is a dosing system (for Alk/Calcium/etc) but is NOT a nutrient management system - it instead uses a refugium to manage nutrients.

Ive run both systems (Triton on a 300 gallon system and Zeovit on my current 120 gallon) with success. You can find Zeo reactors (on fishstreet for example) for quite a bit cheaper than using the branded reactors. I happen to use the Vertex reactor on my system, but its not a requirement.

From the sounds of the issues you are experiencing, I would look into obtaining a high quality dosing pump and some version of 2-part: BRS 2 part is good stuff, ESV B-Ionic is good stuff, Triton is good stuff as well. Focus on dosing 2 part in a manner that maintains your Alkalinity level over time (I would test Alk everyday until you have it dialed in, then you can test less frequently if you desire). Once alk stability is attained, the rest tends to fall in place.

Just as a note - I run Zeovit as my nutrient management (I use 1L of media and dose only ZeoStart, ZeoBak & Spongepower) and run some carbon for water clarity. I use ESV B-Ionic 2 part for maintaining my Alkalinity and Calcium. Ive used lots of different two parts, and this was recommended by the guys at Cherry Corals years ago when I visited their facility. ESV has supplemental elements (much like Triton) in their 2part, which makes it different than BRS, which is only Alk/Calcium.

Hopefully that helps answer a bit of your question. If not, Im sure we can get you there ;)

OP
OP
Cherub

Cherub

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After a serious look at all of the available 'systems' these days, I made an attempt at implementing Triton on my new aquarium, 8 months back or so.

There are some aspects of the system I really like, but their 4 part didn't work out for me. Algae growth was high, availability problems didn't affect me, but it did affect many new Triton users. Equal parts of their 4pt left me with very high Alk, lower Calc that I like, and lower pH than I like. Just didn't give me what I was looking for. Their ICP testing service is a huge deal, one which I still use, and recommend... but you don't have to use the rest of their system in order to take advantage of it.

I looked at Zeovit, certainly one of the more expensive methods to start with, but cost wasn't the deciding factor for me... It was the rather washed out, pastel colors I keep seeing in zeovit systems. Not what I was looking for. Also, the dozens of small blue bottles, and lack of a clear 'plan' to follow were discouraging.

You think startup costs on Zeovit are hight? Go price a calcium reactor :)

I nearly went with Red Sea's system, but in the end, I prefer a macro algae sump to carbon dosing for nutrient export, and without their NoPox, the system didn't seem complete. I may, at some point, review their 'colors' program again.

BRS 2pt, I've used before. Works fine, but you've got to rely on some separate source for the 'other' components that get used up in our reef systems. With BRS discontinuing the well known, long accepted 'standard' 2pt in favor of the more expensive 'pharma' version... seems like a profit motive change rather than one that is honestly trying to improve the hobby. That's not something I want to support.

I ended up with ESV's B Ionic, again. Why? Worked for me in the past, price is reasonable, easy to dose, contains at least _some_ of the 'other' nutrients needed. Add in a large, 'Triton style' refugeum, and a couple quarts of matrix, I've found a stable 'system' that works for me.
thanks for the reply! I can afford zeovit, I just don't want too xD I am a cheapo lol. I have to see the value. So basically zeovit controls nutrients, which I actually don't have an issue with currently but if I add some fish it would make more sense. LOL I have priced calcium reactors too. I will check out the ESV B Ionic. I never heard of it until now. Your feedback is truly appreciated.

OP
OP
Cherub

Cherub

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you might have some things crossed up here... Zeovit isnt an alkalinity system. Zeovit is a nutrient management system - you have to dose Alk/Calcium by some other means. Triton, on the other hand, is a dosing system (for Alk/Calcium/etc) but is NOT a nutrient management system - it instead uses a refugium to manage nutrients.

Ive run both systems (Triton on a 300 gallon system and Zeovit on my current 120 gallon) with success. You can find Zeo reactors (on fishstreet for example) for quite a bit cheaper than using the branded reactors. I happen to use the Vertex reactor on my system, but its not a requirement.

From the sounds of the issues you are experiencing, I would look into obtaining a high quality dosing pump and some version of 2-part: BRS 2 part is good stuff, ESV B-Ionic is good stuff, Triton is good stuff as well. Focus on dosing 2 part in a manner that maintains your Alkalinity level over time (I would test Alk everyday until you have it dialed in, then you can test less frequently if you desire). Once alk stability is attained, the rest tends to fall in place.

Just as a note - I run Zeovit as my nutrient management (I use 1L of media and dose only ZeoStart, ZeoBak & Spongepower) and run some carbon for water clarity. I use ESV B-Ionic 2 part for maintaining my Alkalinity and Calcium. Ive used lots of different two parts, and this was recommended by the guys at Cherry Corals years ago when I visited their facility. ESV has supplemental elements (much like Triton) in their 2part, which makes it different than BRS, which is only Alk/Calcium.

Hopefully that helps answer a bit of your question. If not, Im sure we can get you there ;)
Hey thanks for that. I didn't realize I had to continue dosing as well with zeovit. Glad I asked! so from what you're saying it is possible to run both zeovit and triton for stellar results? The thing about 2 part is it's always on. I do not trust having alk on a drip system without a controller that can read alk and stop the doser as needed. Just me being paranoid lol.

eenoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you mean 2 part being always on? 2 part (if nit manually dosed) is dosed by an aquarium doser which will measure the properlly set amount and dose it into your tank.

You probably shouldnt use the triton core method with zeovit, i would use the triton other method.

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey thanks for that. I didn't realize I had to continue dosing as well with zeovit. Glad I asked! so from what you're saying it is possible to run both zeovit and triton for stellar results? The thing about 2 part is it's always on. I do not trust having alk on a drip system without a controller that can read alk and stop the doser as needed. Just me being paranoid lol.

Triton expects a macro algae refugeum as nutrient export. There's specific ingredients in Core7 that are supposed to feed the macro algae. They do make a 'other methods' 4pt that doesn't have the algae fuel in it that regular Triton Core7 has. That would probably work well with Zeovit controlling nutrients. Zeo systems work well with Calcium reactors, 2pt systems, whatever... as KSFulk said, Zeo is a nutrient control system. Triton 'system' contains a plan for both nutrients, and Ca/Alk/Mag maintenance.

ESV's B-Ionic has been around for decades. I was using it in the late 90's, with great success. It's your basic Calc/Alk 2pt, plus a few extra trace ingredients. They also offer a Magnesium solution, as well as other items that you may or may not need. I use their 2pt + mag, and rely on 15% bi-weekly water changes to take care of any other issues I might have.

Capitol Reef Corals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the reactor I use for $150. It is an ok reactor but lets smaller zeolite particles through the holes which scrape against the side and can be a pain but don't affect the system really. One problem with it is that it does not have a valve to control the water flow (very important when running zeovit). Also the plumbing is in metric so it made it a pain to mess around with. I found a pretty easy way to do it. I can talk more about it and how I did it if you do decide to go this route. Just an option!

Capitol Reef Corals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the reactor I use for $150. It is an ok reactor but lets smaller zeolite particles through the holes which scrape against the side and can be a pain but don't affect the system really. One problem with it is that it does not have a valve to control the water flow (very important when running zeovit). Also the plumbing is in metric so it made it a pain to mess around with. I found a pretty easy way to do it. I can talk more about it and how I did it if you do decide to go this route. Just an option!
https://www.amazon.com/Bubble-Magus...qid=1524078464&sr=8-4&keywords=zeovit+reactor

OP
OP
Cherub

Cherub

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you mean 2 part being always on? 2 part (if nit manually dosed) is dosed by an aquarium doser which will measure the properlly set amount and dose it into your tank.

You probably shouldnt use the triton core method with zeovit, i would use the triton other method.
Sorry let me clarify. The part would be on a doser and it would just constantly drip. I have no idea I would need to dose to begin then top top it off my coral load is changing weekly thanks to all these live sales. I just want an easy way to dose the tank without killing my expensive frags. Now as far as the triton other method. I would love to try it but I guess I want to hear more about how people are having issues restocking the chemicals. Thanks for the feedback

OP
OP
Cherub

Cherub

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Sorry let me clarify. The part would be on a doser and it would just constantly drip. I have no idea I would need to dose to begin then top top it off my coral load is changing weekly thanks to all these live sales. I just want an easy way to dose the tank without killing my expensive frags. Now as far as the triton other method. I would love to try it but I guess I want to hear more about how people are having issues restocking the chemicals. Thanks for the feedback

eenoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dosers dont, and cant constantly drip. Triton, zeovit, b-ionic and any other 2 part is all dosed in small doses throughout the day. You get to choose how much and how often it doses.

Even with adding corals weekly you wont see any rapid changes in coral nutrient consumption. They take a long time to settle in and begin consuming nutrients. Most people have to change their doser settings every once in a while

mdrobc13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been using Triton since Dec and so far so good. Easy to maintain and I am not mixing salt water weekly and chasing that aspect of aquarium maintenance. System seems to have "settled" and no fish losses and my corals are doing okay especially green star polyps and xenia and zoos. However my PH is a bit lower than I want hovering around 8.0 now after being at 8.2-8.3 initially. Testing part is great and I've gone from bi-monthly testing on my own to maybe monthly. Algae growth hasn't been bad and I've been able to fine tune my UV use to have good algae growth in my refugium without excessive growth throughout the tank....I just limit the UV time using my apex and have it on a reverse cycle than my fuge light for now. Biggest issue I've had was re-supply as BRS really hasn't made this stuff available as one would want as an end user. Would think before they'd advertise and kinda push/recommend it that they'd have some sort of re-supply method worked out and set up. However I have been able to find at least two other online suppliers and I did order two sets of Core7 last time so I had enough to resupply. Lasts me basically about 3-4 mos each carton which brings me to my last point...switch from plastic to cartons sucks...go back! They leak and in general are less desirable.

BigJohnny

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your issues are not due to using kalkwasser but the delivery method, your ATO. Kalkwasser is by far the simplest method of maintaining calcium and alkalinity in a new/low to moderate demand reef tank, because it is one supplement that adds both equally. You should dose it with a dosing pump, not your ATO. The next easiest IMO would be 2 part/3 part/etc, those too, will require a dosing pump unless you want to dose by hand every day. Regardless, the only way you are going to stop losing frags from alk swings is by testing frequently and dosing consistently and accurately, regardless of the method you choose.

OP
OP
Cherub

Cherub

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your issues are not due to using kalkwasser but the delivery method, your ATO. Kalkwasser is by far the simplest method of maintaining calcium and alkalinity in a new/low to moderate demand reef tank, because it is one supplement that adds both equally. You should dose it with a dosing pump, not your ATO. The next easiest IMO would be 2 part/3 part/etc, those too, will require a dosing pump unless you want to dose by hand every day. Regardless, the only way you are going to stop losing frags from alk swings is by testing frequently and dosing consistently and accurately, regardless of the method you choose.
Thanks for the feedback. I did actually end up ordering a dosing pump last week and it comes this week. I'll chime in on how it's going once things get to where I want them

chargingxray

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all,

Hopefully this is the right place on the forum to ask.

I have been using kalk on my ATO and frankly that just doesn’t work for me. It’s completely inconsistent and I can certainly attribute this for random losses on occasion. Last week I lost 2 really nice across due to a spike and I am over this mess. I have used 2 part in the past with dosing pumps but I want serious results.

I have been considering zeovit for a couple of months but that reactor cost is ridiculous. Where do companies get off charging 300-600 dollars for an acrylic tube with a handle you have to bounce? (I’m looking at you Korallen-Zucht) It’s not a smart investment IMO for what it is… I get that I lose money to alk spikes with kalk but that doesn't justify the reactor cost still. It could be worse mentality never worked for me because it could also be better. Half glass full, ahem. So as I have been annoyed at that I have also started looking into the triton method as well.

From what I can tell this is an easy way to maintain an aquarium and I was leaning toward it but reading reviews on BRS people are having issues replacing their chemicals? I know there are many users of both. I was hoping people who use either could chime in and help me with my decision? I did search for similar posts and found an old one that wasn’t addressing my questions.

Thanks in advance!

Just wondering if you ended up going with the ZEOvit? I've been thinking about it myself

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.3%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 43 17.8%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 161 66.5%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 5.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.5%
Back