Zinc and aluminum remover

nybern

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Received my water test back and have high zinc 9.8 and aluminum 52.2 in the water. What can I do to remove them without water changes? Anyone know of a good product? I'm trying not to do water changes since I started the Reef Moonshiners method.

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Metazorb.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FWIW, those numbers are not likely high enough to be a significant issue, but I would try to prevent them from getting higher.

There are a number of metal binders that may work (polyfilter, metasorb, cuprisorb), but removing the source is also desirable.

Most people with elevated aluminum use white media in their sumps. Do you have any?

Zinc can come from overdosing a trace element additive, or metal parts in the water.

OP
OP
N

nybern

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
FWIW, those numbers are not likely high enough to be a significant issue, but I would try to prevent them from getting higher.

There are a number of metal binders that may work (polyfilter, metasorb, cuprisorb), but removing the source is also desirable.

Most people with elevated aluminum use white media in their sumps. Do you have any?

Zinc can come from overdosing a trace element additive, or metal parts

Zinc can come from overdosing a trace element additive, or metal parts in the water.
In my sump I use socks, nano tech bio spheres and some small rock.
I have cuprisorb will put some in and get some polyfilter. Next test I'm sending 3 weeks hoping will go down.
Thank you

OP
OP
N

nybern

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The biospheres may be the aluminum source.
I thought thy were the better option that don't leach. But I could be wrong.
I think I'll try the curbasorb and polyfiler. Then remove send in a test. Then remove the bio spheres before I send in the next test to see if that it. Do you think that a good idea?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I'll try the curbasorb and polyfiler. Then remove send in a test. Then remove the bio spheres before I send in the next test to see if that it. Do you think that a good idea?

That's certainly possible, but unless you have a clear reason to want it there, I'd remove it.

OP
OP
N

nybern

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The biospheres may be the aluminum source.
I think I'll try the curbasorb and polyfiler. Then remove send in a test. Then remove the bio spheres be
That's certainly possible, but unless you have a clear reason to want it there, I'd remove it.
Ok I'll remove them thanks for all your help

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 42 22.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 65 34.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 62 32.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 18 9.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.1%
Back