Zoa and paly disappearing

richierich01

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello I have a 20 gallon tank that my spas keep shrinking and eventually dies off. I also put some paly in the tank and the disks shrunk and also the whiskers. Slowly disappearing as well. I’ve dipped and still can’t figure out. Please help!!

image.jpg image.jpg

Redfoxtang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Zoas melting away is usually a water quality issue or something eating them. Just to get this out of the way, what does your water parameters looks like?

OP
OP
richierich01

richierich01

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ph 8.0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 0
Calcium 480
Ammonia 0
Alk. 7.3

light is a artic t247 @ 15% blues 1% whites
On at 12pm-10pm
I was thinking to ramp up lights some more. But everytime I do. Everything seems annoyed until I put back.

image.jpg

Last edited:

Redfoxtang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I would bump your light up more. I would also try and raise your nutrients a little more as well. Zoas prefer dirtier water. Try not to let N04 and P04 hit 0. The corals will also adjust to your light change so with them not liking it at first will be ok. Just ramp it up slowing and not all at once.

OP
OP
richierich01

richierich01

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long has the tank been running?
What livestock do you have?
Any crabs?
+1 on dirtier water, maybe feed more.
Do you test phosphates?
I don’t have a phosphate test yet. I have 1 bengal cardinal 1 white damsel. 1 six line wrasse. 1 emerald crab. And 2 hermits. 1 cleaner shrimp. 1 brittle starfish. I feeds every other day. Should I start feeding daily the fish? I was using reef roids also. And amino acids. But they don’t like the aminos. They tend to shrivel. I could just be to paranoid. Lol. Tank has been set up for a year

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t have a phosphate test yet. I have 1 bengal cardinal 1 white damsel. 1 six line wrasse. 1 emerald crab. And 2 hermits. 1 cleaner shrimp. 1 brittle starfish. I feeds every other day. Should I start feeding daily the fish? I was using reef roids also. And amino acids. But they don’t like the aminos. They tend to shrivel. I could just be to paranoid. Lol. Tank has been set up for a year
I suspect you have high phosphates, using the reef roids. Test for that.
If phosphates are above 0.3, handle that.
Otherwise, Emeralds can bother zoas if they are hungry, so feed more.

Urban

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Just another thought... I can't really tell by the picture if any are present, but have you checked for hydroids? Mine started doing the same thing, and they were being stung by the branching variety.

Dustin

OP
OP
richierich01

richierich01

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I suspect you have high phosphates, using the reef roids. Test for that.
If phosphates are above 0.3, handle that.
Otherwise, Emeralds can bother zoas if they are hungry, so feed more.
I do perform a water change on the tank every week. And I’m definitely going to start feeding more. And I bumped up the light 5%. Blues only for now. I’m running a marine land hang on back filter. And a canister filter I got from amazon. Could my water be to clean?

image.jpg image.jpg

OP
OP
richierich01

richierich01

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just another thought... I can't really tell by the picture if any are present, but have you checked for hydroids? Mine started doing the same thing, and they were being stung by the branching variety.

Dustin
I pulled the frags out and dipped them in coral rx. About 2 days ago. A lot of little critters came out. But I do have other colonies that are wide open but have darkened. Could that be a light issue not enough? And I have noticed lines in the disks of this colony. Is that normal?

image.jpg

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do perform a water change on the tank every week. And I’m definitely going to start feeding more. And I bumped up the light 5%. Blues only for now. I’m running a marine land hang on back filter. And a canister filter I got from amazon. Could my water be to clean?

image.jpg image.jpg
Test your phosphate

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to eventually get the Hannah phosphate tester. But what brand do u recommend? I saw amazon had an api po3 po4 test kit for around $13. Will that work?
I imagine so, we're not looking for exact numbers, just if its bad/too high.

Redfoxtang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Until you can get Hanna I would say Salifert would be the next best but that’s just me.

MaxxuM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I pulled the frags out and dipped them in coral rx. About 2 days ago. A lot of little critters came out. But I do have other colonies that are wide open but have darkened. Could that be a light issue not enough? And I have noticed lines in the disks of this colony. Is that normal?

image.jpg

Zoa's die in a predictable way depending on what's killing them.

1. If it's environmental conditions (lights/water) a whole colony will usually react in unison, they will become more and more tiny and eventually just fade away. They can melt too, but IME they just shrink away to nothing.
  2. If it's disease they typically will die off in a "connect the dot" sort of way. And you can tell which will be next by following the tissue that connects them to each other. You'll see zoa melting and falling apart.
  3. If it's a predator they will die in a pattern(s) sweeping across the colony. You'll need to examine them during the night at random times - preferably with a red light.

If it's a predator or disease you're going to want to QT the colony as soon as possible. You really don't want those spreading. I just had an issue like you and tossed the rock with them. I didn't want to risk the whole garden for 1.

OP
OP
richierich01

richierich01

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Zoa's die in a predictable way depending on what's killing them.

1. If it's environmental conditions (lights/water) a whole colony will usually react in unison, they will become more and more tiny and eventually just fade away. They can melt too, but IME they just shrink away to nothing.
  2. If it's disease they typically will die off in a "connect the dot" sort of way. And you can tell which will be next by following the tissue that connects them to each other. You'll see zoa melting and falling apart.
  3. If it's a predator they will die in a pattern(s) sweeping across the colony. You'll need to examine them during the night at random times - preferably with a red light.

If it's a predator or disease you're going to want to QT the colony as soon as possible. You really don't want those spreading. I just had an issue like you and tossed the rock with them. I didn't want to risk the whole garden for 1.
So I ended up buying the Hannah phosphate checker and tested the water. It reads 0.04

OP
OP
richierich01

richierich01

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Until you can get Hanna I would say Salifert would be the next best but that’s just me.

Got the tester. Just more confused now. Lol

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 39 48.1%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 17 21.0%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 19 23.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 7.4%
Back