Zoa and paly disappearing

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Look at them at night, with a red light flashlight. That would help you spot if something is eating them. It might be amphipods, those are usually harmless but can be an issue in some tanks. They look sort of like a little shrimp curled into a C-shape. It's normal to see some running around, but if you see a lot on the zoas, that could be a clue. They normally eat only dying corals, but I have had them attack perfectly healthy zoas.

michael inocencio

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anecdotal experience: For the first couple of years in this hobby I was using a cheap plastic hydrometer. 50% of all coral I purchased died, half my zoa's and paly's melted. I finally had my water tested at LFS and found my salinity was way off 1.031 even thought the hydrometer reading was 1.026. Purchased a Hanna Salinity tester and have not lost a zoa since.

ReQuackulous

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you check with your Hanna Phosphate checker, is the tube clean when you place it in? I read smudges could lead to inaccurate reads.

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I retested and got different results. First test 0.04. Second test 0.09. Third test 0.08. I’m confused at this point
Gotta make sure you get all the toxic powder in the tube.
Try to shake the powder into the corner opposite the cut marks. Then make your cut and open the package. I put a corner in the tube and gently tap both on the surface im working on. Visual check if package is empty. Shake for 2 minutes, etc.

MaxxuM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please help. I’m at a lost. Thank you

If your phosphates are ~0.04 that's fine. If you've done all the recommended things like using a red light to check the zoa's at night, tank temperatures are good, all the chemical parameters are good, you tossed in a bag of ChemiPure or a Poly Pad, then you only have two options and they both suck. One, you can just sit and wait and try to keep your parameters as good as possible while feeding them. Or two, you either QT or toss them. I ended up tossing mine. It was $30 down the drain, but I just had too many other colonies to risk it.

OP
OP
richierich01

richierich01

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have read about dipping them in furan 2. Anyone have experience with this ?

OP
OP
richierich01

richierich01

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep. It's a way of dealing with external issues. If it's disease or the parasites are inside the zoa it may not help. Do you think they have pox?
I was checking my larger colony and I believe they might have pox? Not all heads have it but a few have like a white pimple. But the paly I have looks fine but the skirts shrunk and the heads. I do have a bit of red cyano growing on sand but I have been controlling it. It’s only in a small section of sand. There’s a drag that each day one head just closes and won’t open again. Running out of ideas

Thespammailaccount

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was checking my larger colony and I believe they might have pox? Not all heads have it but a few have like a white pimple. But the paly I have looks fine but the skirts shrunk and the heads. I do have a bit of red cyano growing on sand but I have been controlling it. It’s only in a small section of sand. There’s a drag that each day one head just closes and won’t open again. Running out of ideas
For zoa pox: add one package of furan 2 to one cup of tank water for 15min everyday for three days then place back in the tank near high flow

fnlyreefready

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ph 8.0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 0
Calcium 480
Ammonia 0
Alk. 7.3

light is a artic t247 @ 15% blues 1% whites
On at 12pm-10pm
I was thinking to ramp up lights some more. But everytime I do. Everything seems annoyed until I put back.

image.jpg
Bring that all in to about 10 and the ph will come up with it. You want 8.2 ph to 8.3

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 40 46.0%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 20 23.0%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 21 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 6.9%
Back