Zoa issue

David J

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got my first corals on Friday. I did the RX coral dip and my hairy mushroom has been looking fine, My zoa has had 2 heads that have been closed pretty much since I bought it. Today I get home and 4-5 are closed. I do see my hermit up next to it so maybe it brushed into it. Should I be worried and do another dip ? Is it normal for them to be closed for the first week ?
2019-02-20 16.38.04.jpg
2019-02-20 16.37.28-1.jpg

sbash

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't see any cause for concern at this point. They were just removed from their home, put in a bag, then dipping in a tangy juice and put into another strange place. I would be just as wary.

Zoas are funny sometimes. I'll get some that open up right away, nice and happy. Or, like yours, only a few polyps open up right away and the rest take forever to decide they are hungry and want food. Or even worse, close up for like, 6 weeks, lol...

Unless you see a film starting to build up on the closed polyps, there is nothing to be worried about. Especially if some polyps are opening.

OP
OP
David J

David J

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2019-02-20 17.18.19.jpg

The middle one left side looks like a little brown spot ? I fit is a brown spot what does that mean ? I did also try and feed them a little 2 nights ago as I heard that helps them grow faster even though they don't need it.

sbash

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The middle one left side looks like a little brown spot ? I fit is a brown spot what does that mean ? I did also try and feed them a little 2 nights ago as I heard that helps them grow faster even though they don't need it.

It may not mean anything. I use a turkey baster to blow that stuff off, usually works, and it could just be a random piece of detritus which is causing it to be irritated.

If the turkey baster does not work, get a very soft (and clean) toothbrush and gently brush it.

OP
OP
David J

David J

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hit them with a my feeding baster, see what happens just fed my clowns too.

OP
OP
David J

David J

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
no change today same. Tested level 0 Am, 0 Nitrite, about 10 Nitrate, 8.2 PH, Sal 1.025 and temp 76.5

I'll probably do a water change this weekend to lower the Nitrates a bit, Thought my chaeto would be absorbing a lot of it.

OP
OP
David J

David J

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
think im going to coral dip tomorrow again when I do water change and check for pests

kdogginz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Sometimes my zoas just close up for no reason. Other times you can be dealing with a pest or an infection.

I personally like to dip zoas in iodine so you may want to try that out. Also, if your zoas look like they are getting white spots it could be zoa pox, which can be combated with Furan 2.

Also, the parameters you posted are fine. I wouldn’t really worry about the 10ppm of nitrate. Do you happen to know what your po4 and alk are at?

OP
OP
David J

David J

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I was going to try and dip them again tonight. When I bought them I dipped them in Coral RX for 10 minutes. Maybe I missed some eggs or something that didn't fall off. Doing my normal water change tonight and might pick up a goby at my LFS so be perfect timing. Have to watch and see how they are today. If no change I will dip for sure. Its been a week, they were open so unless something is bothering them I don't get why all of a sudden they would be closing up. Water perimeters look good. I'm also wondering if I should get a second salinity tester just incase mine is off.

kdogginz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
What are you using to test your salinity?

I know it’s a little pricey but the Hanna salinity tester is really nice and super easy to use.

kdogginz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I used the same one and it worked well, just make sure you are using refractometer calibration fluid to calibrate it.

You can most likely take it to your LFS and test it against theirs to see if yours is reading correct.

ericguy1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My zoa's like hydrogen peroxide. I take them out and spray them, and after a minute rinse and put them back. Might leave em alone for a week before you try. They are stressed at this point.

ericguy1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sometimes zoa's are picky where you put them. Some like high up in light. Some like different water flows. But definitely let them be they are stressed.

OP
OP
David J

David J

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They seemed almost all open today, however when I checked later my hermit went over them so theyw ere closed up again

ericguy1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They seemed almost all open today, however when I checked later my hermit went over them so theyw ere closed up again
Sometimes new corals or rocks have tasty treats. He's probably just snaking and making them close.
They should be fine.

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 37 28.7%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 25 19.4%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 30 23.3%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 35 27.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.6%
Back