Zoa / Paly size

pjdiddy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have seen Utter Chaos in a size of a quarter coin, while mine wont get bigger than a dime. So what makes these corals differs in size?

Cary

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can attest to the fact that Utter Chaos will lose its spots if it get too much light. I have some that are bright orange under blue lights. I have moved them to a more "shady" place to try to recover the "chaos"

Krzydmnd

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with lighting... I have a rock half covered in utter chaos. The polyps on top in direct light are smaller and mostly orange. The polyps on the side with less intensity lighting are much larger, longer lashes, and a lot more speckling to them.
be389246ca13b3567f09a9f3684736b8.jpg

DanTer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These are mine right here, the biggest of the 4 about the size of a penny. I had bought them from an LFS that had them at about the size of a quarter. They had them solely under dim blue LEDs. I'd assume the lack of light made them a lot larger. I assume mind don't mind my lights, because they have grown 2 new heads.

IMG_6617.jpg

urban coral farmer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had this discussion with a few of my buddy's that have frag tanks and we have come to the conclusion it all comes down to light polyps in lower light are huge higher light polyps are by far smaller. Hope this helps

goatcorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree with low light = bigger zoas/palys, but I wonder if spectrum matters too. I have 2 tanks with t5 bulbs. Run whites 4 hours and the blues 8 hours, but one has purple plus blue compared to blue only on the other. Both have large polyps, but the tank with a purple bulb has huge polyps.

The purple does have lower par, but I’m not sure if that’s the difference maker or not?

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 44 21.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 71 34.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 66 32.4%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.0%
Back