Zoa starting to invert it's shape. Thoughts?

Jib

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Over the past 10 days, one of my new Zoas (put in tank on 12/6) has started to invert it shape. It had the classic cup shape once it settled it. It slowing been inverting it's shape now though.

Any thoughts what could be causing this? Other Zoa's in the tank seem happy enough...although it should be noted I believe they are reaching for some light. The Gobstopper (Red one in 2nd pic) is also opened up more broadly, and less cup shaped then before. I attached a picture of my lighting schedule, if anyone has thoughts to the intensity I'm happy to listen. It's a modified Saxby schedule. I decreased the overall intensity by 40% of original, then halved the white light intensity again for my desired look. Tank is a IM 14G Peninsula.

Parameters:
Temp: 78
Salinity: 1.025
NO3: 12
ALK: 9.6
Ca: 415
Mg: 1215
PO4: .03

Inverted Sonic Flair.jpg
1.4 Gob.jpg
1.4 Lighting.png

Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

-Jib

OceanMinded

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m sorry. I meant for food! I have the same zoa’s that you pictured and when they were like that I just fed them. It could also because you already fed them too. That’s just my small experience but I’m willing to bet someone with a little more knowledge can chime in. But with that being said they DO look healthy. :)

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Google zoa umbrella syndrome.

OP
OP
Jib

Jib

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m sorry. I meant for food! I have the same zoa’s that you pictured and when they were like that I just fed them. It could also because you already fed them too. That’s just my small experience but I’m willing to bet someone with a little more knowledge can chime in. But with that being said they DO look healthy. :)

It started before I fed them yesterday. The food didn't seem to impact their appearance either way.

They may be hungry or they may be getting ready to poop.

When I've seen them poop they didn't change in appearance at all. Maybe something is different this time. I'll keep an eye out.

Google zoa umbrella syndrome.

Whoa, so this leaves me with more questions than answers : ). But somehelpful info to think about. Thank you for providing that terminology.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 47 40.9%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 12 10.4%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 33 28.7%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.7%
Back