OP
OP
jpontier212

jpontier212

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stress maybe could be the cause? Ive heard of this but i imagine they have some rediculous reason... mine always have hermits on em ******* em off
The hermits are the worse. Crawling all over them trying to clean the plugs. Ugh

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. Never knew exactly how corals thrive just been following you guys' leads to the best of my abilities
welcome to the addiction family.:):D

Mature tank is a weird concept until you have one. sometimes you get lucky sometimes not.:)
A LOTS of folks ignore it completely. To various degrees of success.
So yea double check the parameters just cuz n, move it to the bottom to acclimate to the light..
and well...... best of luck.

Yup, zoas are known to melt for no apparent reason. I had some thrived for 6 months, and bam it starts to close up and melt away, while all my other colonies are fine. Still trying to figure zoas out after a year and a half.
six or so for me.:confused::D
The hermits are the worse. Crawling all over them trying to clean the plugs. Ugh
thats a good thing. Till the get hungry so feed em.:D

1fishjones

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Before you mess around with your Zoanthids I'm going to suggest you look into poly toxins.

Surfandturf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure if anyone has asked yet, but do you have a powerhead in your tank? If they are getting direct flow, they might be upset. Another thing is the lights. I highly suggest that you invest some money in a light system where you can adjust the colors in the spectrum. From my personal experience zoanthids are different in preferred lighting. I have the higher end zoas and 2 types in particular are what I consider to be highly sensitive to light intensity. Fruit loop zoas and twizzlers.I actually had to move the fruitloops to a shaded area because I do not want to lessen the light intensity in my tank more than I have. They have really taken off since then. Lighting is super important in this hobby. I have tried with standard boicube lights and I don't like them. Now I have an AI system and the difference is amazing! With lighting you get what you pay for.

OP
OP
jpontier212

jpontier212

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Link to the lights you purchased? That may be part of the issue.

Salt
My salt comes from my water change. I have yet to buy the first grain of salt. There salt water i get is from the same system that the zoas are in

NanoDJS

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They look freshly fragged . It is not uncommon for zoas to "shift" around some algae when they are fragged and also want to heal up basically , give em a week at least till you pop any judgement the pics look like gorilla nips and Hrrc cant see the other one , the GN really love light , but the hrrc are a bit more light shy

BoneXriffic

GO BLUE!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm, get us a pic of the light. I know some cheaper leds can not supply efficient lighting for coral growth...one of the most expensive things in this hobby is lighting and it cant be cheaped on unfortunatley. Its the back bone of your system imo

NanoDJS

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hrgn[1].jpg
I just put this frag with GN in a few hours ago , and this is what they look like , the Hrrc (left velvet green) , a few zoa tips are they need time to acclimate to dif lights and if they are not getting enough of the right spectrum they will "stalk" up on you see how my guys lay flat , this in an indicator that they are getting the correct amount of light . the frills stay short and fat in lower flow and get longer with higher. I shoot for about 50 - 200 Par on zoas in 12kfor 8hr and 20k 4hr then lights off. hope this helps with your zoanthid care , and a little work goes a looong way with these guys , happy reefing !!!

SALTYwaterDOG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have zoa that need intense light and some of the lower light veriety. I'm not one that thinks they melt for no apparent reason lmo.
Although zoa can take some time to aclimate and stabilize. If they are truly melting I would not just say o well that happens. Something is a miss.

SALTYwaterDOG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hrgn[1].jpg
I just put this frag with GN in a few hours ago , and this is what they look like , the Hrrc (left velvet green) , a few zoa tips are they need time to acclimate to dif lights and if they are not getting enough of the right spectrum they will "stalk" up on you see how my guys lay flat , this in an indicator that they are getting the correct amount of light . the frills stay short and fat in lower flow and get longer with higher. I shoot for about 50 - 200 Par on zoas in 12kfor 8hr and 20k 4hr then lights off. hope this helps with your zoanthid care , and a little work goes a looong way with these guys , happy reefing !!!

This +1

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 23.5%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 34.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 46 30.1%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%
Back