Zoas and palys stretching?

turbo21

Fenchies and Fish Oh My
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ahve noticed that in the last week alot of my z's and p's are stretching (getting longer and skinnier). I dont think its a lighting issue i have leds on my tank, and the palys at different heights are showing the same thing.

about a week and a half ago we did a major change in aquascaping and have huge mound of rock on the right side that goes all the way to the surface. the flow to some of theses areas is definitely lower, I have also been trying to bring down my p04 levels slowly.

levels went from .025 to undetectible.

so my questions are, can low flow or low p04 cause stretching?

thanks

bob

Pebbo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my experience zoas stretch to obtain a missing element, whether that be nutrients in the water or light.

Low flow can lead to stretching, high flow will lead to elongated lashes/skirts.

OP
OP
turbo21

turbo21

Fenchies and Fish Oh My
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What kind of leds are you using? usually low light leads to stretching.

i have 92 bridgelux 3w leds over my tank. they sit 8" off of the water. i have been running these lights for 8 months and no issues. i have candy apple reds that were 6" under the surface (14") from the lights that are stretching.

bob

ca2or

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gonna have to agree....zoas stretching is usually stretching for light......mine barely expand all the way under LED

Reef Breeders

ReefBreeders.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bridgelukes are innefficient, but should do the trick. Try increasing the flow, or driving the leds higher, if they are dimmed.

OP
OP
turbo21

turbo21

Fenchies and Fish Oh My
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bridgelukes are innefficient, but should do the trick. Try increasing the flow, or driving the leds higher, if they are dimmed.

i have had no problem with the lights the are driven at 100% and i am growing a little bit of everything in my tank, most of the z'sand p's i'm talking about have been fragged many times because of the growth i have. all my sps and lps look fine, just the 50 or so variations of zoas. i am running out to get some carbon (only have very small amount left)

here is my build thread, where you can see some pics of my tank a few weeks ago

https://www.reef2reef.com/forums/member-tanks/66817-turbos-220-a-4.html

bob

peppip

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my fire and ice zoas stretched once ever and that was to get closer to the light. i left them alone and they simply moved slowly and then shrunk back to normal when they found the spot they were happy with. was neat.

hermesfansf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my vivid rainbow stretches even though they are under MH lighting directly and high flow. How can u guys explain this.........

OP
OP
turbo21

turbo21

Fenchies and Fish Oh My
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added a bunch of carbon and changed the gfo, and did a 45% water change and things seem to be settling down. Scary that being down 2 weeks for back surgery and the tank was headed down hill fast.

bob

arch85

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the more I read the more I learn! Now I've salinity to check AND carbon + gfo to add! (sorry -- my zoas have been doing the same stretch thing)

Thanks!

NickRile

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The first Zoas in my tank have stretched quite a bit (upper right of photos) they were already a bit long when I first got them, but even tho they have stretched, they seem quite happy ‍♂️
906E76DA-F8F4-483F-99A2-F56A0A36F196.jpeg

danschoenherr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As already said, increasing the flow should help and the addition of new carbon results in clearer water, which in turn, lets more light penetrate.
Be careful with bottoming out your PO4.......Ive found my zoas need some to be happy.

SauceyReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The palys in my tank are all stretching for more light. I have AI Prime 16 HD. It is quite annoying actually because I dont want to raise my PAR at all. Even the ones on the frag holder 2" from the water surface are stretching for more light at near 300 par... And being blasted by flow

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 42 31.1%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.7%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 34 25.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 48 35.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.4%
Back