Zoas/ Palys closed and shriveled up...

lolgranny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whats up guys,
So i made the mistake of getting into zoas and palys because for some reason i can keep everything else but them. I have a few high end "designer" ones that have been doing good (RDPE , Clementines ,Margaritaville, Shazams, rastas, magicians, red and blue hornets..ect)
Well they all started with 1-2 polyps and are around 4-10. Lately some have closed up and look like a shriveled little nub, others have done the same and melted away. I dont get it. Everything is in check. Alk-8.5, Ca-1300, Mg-1400, temp 77-79, salinity 1.025-1.026. Sps, clams, acans, chalices are all doing great. I just cant seem to figure out these **** things. Any ideas??

Thanks!

caudill187

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to think that zoas/palys were the easiest to keep but now I think about this differently. In my experience, while it is true that they will survive in many different setups and tolerate nitrates, high dissolved organics, etc., they can be very touchy and heartbreaking. Too many times I've had nice healthy big colonies melt and never been able to figure out why. I suspect they are susceptible to more fungal, viral, and bacterial illlnesses than some other coral types. My acro colonies, once growing, seem much more stable.

I have had luck using gentle plant-based dips like revive or coral rx in situations like yours. Have you tried this? Have there been any big changes in conditions recently?

OP
OP
lolgranny

lolgranny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey bro, i was thinking about taking them all out and using CoralRx, but i wanted to check with you guys first. All the palys i got from you were thriving then they just change. Its like 1 polyp will grow into 3, as it does that the 1st one closes up, then the 2nd and shrivel away. It makes no sense.

How are you dipping them? Reg concentration? How long..ect?

MadReefer1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
is there a funky looking algea/fungus on them try peroxide 50/50 dip 50 peroxide 50 tank water for r5 mins

OP
OP
lolgranny

lolgranny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitly do the dip. I use coral rx with success

How are you dipping them? Concentration / time
TY!

is there a funky looking algea/fungus on them try peroxide 50/50 dip 50 peroxide 50 tank water for r5 mins

Doesnt look like a fungus, but im unsure. It looks like they are closed up completely and ****** off but no real signs of anything on them. Im going to try this either way along with doing a coral rx dip.

Its weird because the polyps right next to them are doing great

Me z

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since you have acros are your phosphates and nitrates really low? If so try feeding your tank a little more and use some amino acids to get them a little more food for their zooanthalae. Ammonia nitrate is an essential for all types of plants zoanthalae algae included. Unless they can obtain the essential nutrients to maintain a large colony you will see the melting you are experiencing. Just my .02. I had similar problems until I added a couple more fish and fed more. Didnt see an increase in nitrates or phosphates but saw a big difference in coral growth.

PolandSpring

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dip them and put them in front of the powerhead for a few seconds and keep them in med-high flow. Sometimes i have had infections and a month later they would recover

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 92 80.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.4%
Back