OP
aop

aop

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Use to run at 50% blue and 70% white just to compare at his same time of day which would compare to the brightest time of day

OP
OP
aop

aop

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Use to run at 50% blue and 70% white just to compare at his same time of day which would compare to the brightest time of day

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's possible you have or had a combo problem. Nutrition and minerals plus light.
The mag cal and alk and Po we test for and can slowly work on. I prefer food over dosing for nutrition. Using dosing when it gets out of balance.
Light we almost or never test for and try to eye ball. I think lux works as a basic guideline to intensity.
Pretty sure you can slowly boost the light.
Personally I set the color to eye then increase the intensity using the same ratio.

OP
OP
aop

aop

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the useful info. As background everything was doing great and growing under all current equipment, and they things just randomly got worse, I didn't change anything. That is why the low nutrients and chemical imbalance makes most sense to me. But I still tried to play when the lights and flow cause now I'm desperate. I started the nitrate dosing but in told that takes weeks before any result. I think next step is to buy mg kit to see what that is. Cause my Ca is 340, Alk 9 dkh, need to know what my Mg is, I feel like can also be an issue since can't seem to keep Ca up.

OP
OP
aop

aop

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's possible you have or had a combo problem. Nutrition and minerals plus light.
The mag cal and alk and Po we test for and can slowly work on. I prefer food over dosing for nutrition. Using dosing when it gets out of balance.
Light we almost or never test for and try to eye ball. I think lux works as a basic guideline to intensity.
Pretty sure you can slowly boost the light.
Personally I set the color to eye then increase the intensity using the same ratio.
What's is the recommended lux, and do I measure it at the water surface like I took pic? What is the formula to come up with results, and with over exposure does it change the results? I could increase shutter speed that would lower the exposure

OP
OP
aop

aop

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh I think I forgot to mention, I got increasing cyano in my tank now that is not getting better, tried vacuuming it and using chemipure without success. I've read somewhere that the nitrate and Po ration imbalance can cause cyano?

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The old schoolers I have found run SPS at 35 40k lux to 80k lux. At the water surface. I'm aiming for 20k on my ZOA softie.

I had a similar cyano thing. Not read anything scientific about the imbalance. But I did read a fairly published article. And not cause but feed. We all have cyano and algae it's not feeding them that's the trick.

It's totally weird that they haven't just melted. Bad flow not enough light IME it should have melted in a week.
I've got some doing that right now. An a ton more that are having babies.
Your corraline seems good so you should be ok on cal and alk and mag. It's low cause it's getting used up.

Personally I'm not one to change or use more than one thing at a time. And I'm cautious to use a bottle.
. To slow the cyano in my DT. I got a brighter bulb over the Chato.

I dunno. I'm stumped. Double check everything. And worst case do a re build. If target the sandbed. I had to do that very recently on my 30g.

OP
OP
aop

aop

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have some improvements, however I dosed for about 2 weeks but had to do water change, made mistake with mixture and was too concentrated and got nitrates way too high, anyway since water change I have not been dosing and still no change in coral, so last weekend I decided to shut skimmer off, it's been off for about a week and I've seen the most progress, my people eaters are pretty much back to normal and Zoas are still not great but showing best improvement thus far see photos
image.jpeg

OP
OP
aop

aop

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So just wanted to add an update and say thanks to all for the advice. My corals are now doing awesome!!! Although I started nitrate dosing, I screwed up dose and had levels too high, thankfully without any loss of life, so I did water change. Then I took the suggestion that my water is too clean and no nutrients and decided to shut my skimmer off for about a month, and Zoas started coming to life, now they are doing great, and I now have been running the skimmer for can out a month as well. Through this process however I got hair algae bloom and what looks like cyano but more brown than red and doesn't respond to chemiclean like the red slime did when I had it. So this is my new problem :(

OP
OP
aop

aop

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You'll find the balance.
Having trouble it's quite unsightly and I clean it siphon it tried chemiclean, tried water change tried decreasing lights, even went a day without any light, but didn't wanna do longer cause worried for coral. All of that temporarily decreased the issue but it just comes back in force . It's only on sand not on rocks, the rocks just have the hair algae. My tang use to eat algae now not so much so got emerald crab he ain't going for it either. So don't know what to do, parameters all great and I use to/di

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 12.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 89 57.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.1%
Back