OP
aop

aop

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So sounds like this is a permanent thing?

twilliard

Tank pests..
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for the delay, someone tried to steal my black lab last night.

Export is skimming and or a diverse refugium.
Now if you employ both your no3 will continue to drop in most cases.

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will chime in as well as I was/am having the same problem, hopefully not causing any additional confusion. After Googling the topic on the interweb, I found some information regarding treating with API's Furan 2, so I decided to give it a try. I just finished that process about a week ago. I actually set up my QT tank (for which I used DT water to fill, so same water) and kept them in there while doing the treatments so I didn't have to keep getting in and out of my DT. What I can say is they looked much better and were opening very nicely while in the QT tank. I was actually very excited that it actually "worked". However, once I put them back in the DT, they are back to their old habits - not opening up. As a point of information, I have AI Vega's on my DT and I also have an extra that I use on the 20g QT.

I mentioned the lights because I've made the following conclusion, albeit I will admit, it's probably unfounded at this point. I had the Vega turned down a little on the QT tank during this process in comparison to the settings on the DT. So once I put the zoas back in to the DT, I even tried to put them in a more shaded area than their original placement. But as I said, they are back to being closed up for the most part. Therefore, that is how/why I concluded they are getting too much light. Ironically, I have other zoas growing up high in the tank, under direct light, that are doing quite well. That is why I said my conclusion may very well be incorrect. The only real conclusion I can come up with is I have no idea what the heck I'm doing!!!

Based on the great information here, I may try to elevate the no3 as it's always undetectable on tests.

Great thread!

OP
OP
aop

aop

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for the delay, someone tried to steal my black lab last night.

Export is skimming and or a diverse refugium.
Now if you employ both your no3 will continue to drop in most cases.
I do employ both however my fug is quite small, a third of a 20g long tank with dsb some rock and mostly filled with chaeti( takes up most of the room in that chamber)

twilliard

Tank pests..
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do employ both however my fug is quite small, a third of a 20g long tank with dsb some rock and mostly filled with chaeti( takes up most of the room in that chamber)
Keep an eye out on your no3 :)

cincyreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are you noticing?

Along the same lines. Some of my zoas are shrinking, and some just wont open at all. Instead of sort of growing together almost in a clump, they're all spread out as well. I've stayed up and used a flashlight checking for pests, but found none. My parameters are in check as well, except that I have not had an readable nitrates (API) since my cycle ended. I can post more if needed, just don't want to hijack the thread. May start my own here soon, as I've been battling this for months. To the extent I went and changed my lights, and it's still an issue after 2 months of the new light.

twilliard

Tank pests..
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Along the same lines. Some of my zoas are shrinking, and some just wont open at all. Instead of sort of growing together almost in a clump, they're all spread out as well. I've stayed up and used a flashlight checking for pests, but found none. My parameters are in check as well, except that I have not had an readable nitrates (API) since my cycle ended. I can post more if needed, just don't want to hijack the thread. May start my own here soon, as I've been battling this for months. To the extent I went and changed my lights, and it's still an issue after 2 months of the new light.
Start a thread and I will be more than happy to assist you.
Just tag me and I will be there.

OP
OP
aop

aop

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep an eye out on your no3 :)
Yes well I will start dosing, also a friend whose tank is amazing and Zoas and all corals grow like on steroids, gave me couple frags to see if they will open up in my tank, he is wondering if my corals are just past a point of no return

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes well I will start dosing, also a friend whose tank is amazing and Zoas and all corals grow like on steroids, gave me couple frags to see if they will open up in my tank, he is wondering if my corals are just past a point of no return

Don't give up hope. Mine were closed for months before I did the treatment mentioned above. I think they're more robust than we give them credit for. Keep us posted on your progress please, as it appears many share your same problem and we're all learning here.

Reef_a_holiks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
aop

aop

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, I'll keep posting but it takes some time so I'll post any changes, gonna start tomorrow when I get my kno3. My friends Zoas that I just put in are fully open hour after put them in, I'll see how they progress as well

OP
OP
aop

aop

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a similar issue about a year or more ago. Everything was perfect but zoas will not fully open no matter what. Check out this thread it worked for me and ive been great ever since. https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/whats-wrong-with-my-zoas-pics-inside.155151/page-3

You can also check out our write up on this on our blog: http://reef-a-holiks.blogspot.com/2014/06/could-chemiclean-be-new-key-to-healthy.html

Hope you sort this out
Thanks, I have actually tried chemiclean with no success

OP
OP
aop

aop

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How are the zoas looking @aop ?
Nothing new Zoas still closed no sign of improvement, and the good ones I got from my friend just to check out they will do, also not good and closed now

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 85 56.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.3%
Back