Zoas won't open fully about 2 months

ECreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Changes in flow and light can irritate corals, most of the time not really in a bad way. They just need time to adjust typically. However, too much light or direct flow can cause damage.

ECreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Strong indirect flow in a reef tank is extremely important for the health of corals. Just look at the ocean, huge surges of water that don't directly hit into any corals.

OP
OP
aop

aop

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I have lots of strong flow that is indirect to the corals

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well if it's lights why would corals grow and doe very well and then suddenly close under the same lights? I did forget to mention I switched flow close to two months ago from koralia to jebao rw8 wave maker but corals seemed ok for a while, but since this issue I've been playing with flow and lights tried all kinds stuff settings without success, tank is actually pretty clean terms of algae grunge
Flow.
And pretty clean is relative. Like Mr Twillard said zoas like it dirty. People obsess over parameters and honestly IMO n exp n research different corals grow in different water conditions. The same for flow.
Clean and sterile is a human thing not a nature thing. It makes even buying coral hard because even though its a zoa it cant find what it needs in your tank to grow. Thats why its reccomended to move the coral around in your tank. Changing flow is just like moving the coral.

One difficulty in troubleshooting is I (and anyone else)dont know what you running. Reactors? fuge? skimmer? wet or dry? Deep sand bed or shallow. Changed flow? Dosed? Sump? Whats the return volume in gph?
And we cant see flow in a still picture.
And internet help sometimes isnt. I asked once what is the perfect flow for zoas was . Most said rw8. That makes no sense.

Take a look at other tanks on line, and try to see them in person. Almost all the really nice tanks with happy animals have some grunge, research & read from the experts. Real ones and check out thier tanks too.
Heres some names. Paul B (member here kida invented reefing) Dana Riddle lighting and ecosystems, Ron Shimek sandbeds and ecosystems, and Randy Farley chemistry(and doesnt run gfo, uses a fuge).

Last thing is stability and patience. Drastically changing anything lighs flow chemistry can be bad. Go slow especially until youve gained some experience.
I didnt have Zoas for 2 years. Got tired of them melting. Got some finally ($10) and now Im having babies.

Lastly(sorry long) IMO if its dirty enough for algae its dirty enough for zoas. If its sooo dirty alge goes crazy you have a problem. My back glass and corners are my barometer.
Really lastly now 3 types of flow.. Laminar, turbulent & Surge. I find my zoa (in general ;)) like Slow to medium turbulent. With the dc thingy now you can add the surge. But try for turbulent first.

twilliard

Tank pests..
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Flow.
And pretty clean is relative. Like Mr Twillard said zoas like it dirty. People obsess over parameters and honestly IMO n exp n research different corals grow in different water conditions. The same for flow.
Clean and sterile is a human thing not a nature thing. It makes even buying coral hard because even though its a zoa it cant find what it needs in your tank to grow. Thats why its reccomended to move the coral around in your tank. Changing flow is just like moving the coral.

One difficulty in troubleshooting is I (and anyone else)dont know what you running. Reactors? fuge? skimmer? wet or dry? Deep sand bed or shallow. Changed flow? Dosed? Sump? Whats the return volume in gph?
And we cant see flow in a still picture.
And internet help sometimes isnt. I asked once what is the perfect flow for zoas was . Most said rw8. That makes no sense.

Take a look at other tanks on line, and try to see them in person. Almost all the really nice tanks with happy animals have some grunge, research & read from the experts. Real ones and check out thier tanks too.
Heres some names. Paul B (member here kida invented reefing) Dana Riddle lighting and ecosystems, Ron Shimek sandbeds and ecosystems, and Randy Farley chemistry(and doesnt run gfo, uses a fuge).

Last thing is stability and patience. Drastically changing anything lighs flow chemistry can be bad. Go slow especially until youve gained some experience.
I didnt have Zoas for 2 years. Got tired of them melting. Got some finally ($10) and now Im having babies.

Lastly(sorry long) IMO if its dirty enough for algae its dirty enough for zoas. If its sooo dirty alge goes crazy you have a problem. My back glass and corners are my barometer.
Really lastly now 3 types of flow.. Laminar, turbulent & Surge. I find my zoa (in general ;)) like Slow to medium turbulent. With the dc thingy now you can add the surge. But try for turbulent first.
Well said! Thank you :)

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And lighting is a PITA in this hobby as no one can quantify the amount in terms of intensity only par witch is variable depending on the color of rock around it and what color the back of your tank is.
Currently many of my zoas are happy with appox 1000- 1800 lux or 140 foot candles.

Wolff92

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your params are good then I would be concerned about Zoa eating nuddy branches. They are almost impossible to see and will cause Zoas to stay closed. Zoas are hardy and typically don't display this behavior. Take out on small colony and dip them. Shake the plug in the bowl of dip and see if you see any little critters fall out. If so and they are Nudi you have diagnosed the issue.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Twillard and Brandon429 turned me on to the hydrogen peroxide recently. Works better than the rest of everything I have used. I did a 5(tank water) to 1(per) bath. Perox 4 to 5 min (or till the pods stop squirming)while basting. Tank water rinse with basting, one more tank water rinse with basting.
Zoas came out clean. bugs float to the top. opened next morning a little groggy. fine after that.
A baby toothbrush if they are really grungy in second rinse.

OP
OP
aop

aop

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've tried lighting, flow, and in the past i had a nudibranch and I took care of it and then all flourished until this issue. In my origional post I included info on my system. Could it be that my skimmer is too powerful? it is rated for 130g my tank is 75g. Friday I should receive potassium nitrate and I will try Twilliard's suggestion see if anything happens. Twilliard, how long do you think until I should start seeing some results?

twilliard

Tank pests..
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've tried lighting, flow, and in the past i had a nudibranch and I took care of it and then all flourished until this issue. In my origional post I included info on my system. Could it be that my skimmer is too powerful? it is rated for 130g my tank is 75g. Friday I should receive potassium nitrate and I will try Twilliard's suggestion see if anything happens. Twilliard, how long do you think until I should start seeing some results?
You know I wouldnt say to powerful. Now over skimming might do it. But that is good! It keeps your organics down which in turn keeps your po4 down.
When you start to dose no3 (dont over shoot it!) you will see results in a matter of weeks.
It takes time for the zooxanthellae to form.
Please be patient as you dose this. At first you may see no increase in no3 so please dont increase the dosed amount :)

OP
OP
aop

aop

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I won't see an increase with first dose? How do I know if it's enough or too much then

esolo16

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I may have missed it but what test kit are you using for nitrates?

twilliard

Tank pests..
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I won't see an increase with first dose? How do I know if it's enough or too much then
Just follow my steps and you will have to test daily till you reach your desired goal
And no you wont see an increase on your first dose. The tank will eat it like candy.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just follow my steps and you will have to test daily till you reach your desired goal
And no you wont see an increase on your first dose. The tank will eat it like candy.

"When you start to dose no3 (dont over shoot it!) you will see results in a matter of weeks. The tank will eat it like candy."
Todd, I dont know how much more I can learn this week man.
Thx

twilliard

Tank pests..
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"When you start to dose no3 (dont over shoot it!) you will see results in a matter of weeks. The tank will eat it like candy."
Todd, I dont know how much more I can learn this week man.
Thx
Most here at home consider me an electronics and chemical nerd. I am retired at 41 and have spent my whole life to this outside my previous occupation.

OP
OP
aop

aop

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well thanks for all the valuable tips will try it, kno3 should come fri, that stuff is nowhere to be found locally this stuff is quite hard to get had to get through eBay

twilliard

Tank pests..
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well i will tell you a little goes a long ways!
I dose 16ml of my mixture once a week now

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back