Zooxanthellae expel I hope

jreefier

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Against my better judgment instead of qt i put a couple of small corals I bought from a guy in my tank. He assured me he had added no new fish for a year and a half so I took a chance. I rinsed them off first with tank water also and changed all the water the corals were in with water from my tank being careful not to get any of his water in my tank . Today two of my fish have this stringy mucus like clear whitish substance kind of like cobwebs on their faces and the coral is bleached completely white. I did see other stringy mucus gunk on the live rock that looked similar. The piece on my pseudochromis has to be a half inch long and sort of waves in the current. All fish seem fine otherwise. Hoping this is just coral mucus they have swam through since the two that hang out closest to it were effected. Couldn't get pics as they are too quick to hide when you approach and lighting was already in night mode.

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry but from your description of the mucous sloughing off the fish, it sounds like you may be dealing with Brooklynella. Here's more information on the parasite and treatment for the fish.

OP
OP
J

jreefier

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I sure hope not. My clown is the only one that doesn’t have any on it.

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I sure hope not. My clown is the only one that doesn’t have any on it.
Some clowns seem to build an immunity to the parasites and become carriers. Humblefish told me once about a pair of clowns that were alone in a tank and didn't show the parasites until something or some stressor set it off and the fish finally displayed Brook almost a year later. Wow!

OP
OP
J

jreefier

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since it doesnt have an encysted stage is this likely from a coral that had been rinsed twice though? There’s been nothing more added than the Montipora and the fish are all over a year in the tank.

OP
OP
J

jreefier

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So this morning my tang is all clear and happy and the pseudochromis has much less gunk, so its not brooklynella though the photos did bear some resemblance. Guessing it was what I thought. Looked similar to mucus string and mucus web below.
various-form.jpg

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 5.9%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.7%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 7 5.1%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 110 80.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.4%
Back