Zyltech stand kit - assembly questions or thoughts

slowride175

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Hello all, I bought the kit from Zyltech that has the 39 inch or so 3030 T slot and pictured is the hardware I have with it.

I noticed a lot of builds with this little silver "L" or 90 degree connectors and I don't have those. Seeing the image I have attached, is this good to build with what I have? I believe I still need a piece of HDPE for the top for the 36 long x19.5 deep acrylic tank but I will worry about that once get this cut and assembled.

I plan on cutting the t-slot pieces into 36 inches to match my tank length, and I am wondering how I should go about the general assembly as I read the many threads here. How would you form the top and are the 4 corner pieces straight from the bottom of the tank to the floor or do I set a framed top on the 4 legs, etc.

zylt.JPG

OP
OP
S

slowride175

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, that is what I was hoping. This MS Paint effort here shows how I planned to build it, without considering the larger plates which will fasten over the facing corners and center beams front and back, and I need to get the plastic to go under the tank.

Is this the proper way to do it? Hope it makes sense.

Attachments

• fdff.jpg
    fdff.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 30

Reefer Reboot

F.V.P.!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Something like this? How tall is the stand going to be? How tall is the tank? My personal preference is to have the vertical pieces sandwiched between the horizontals. You probably won't do that for the bottom part of the legs as you have footpads to be installed (hence the tap in picture). Putting the top horizontals on top of the vertical legs eliminates the chance of the brackets slipping down.
One other question, what is your flooring, IE, concrete slab, wood with subfloor crawl space or something else?
Stand Screenshot.jpg

OP
OP
S

slowride175

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking 36 inches for the stand height, because I went with a bit of a shallow height and want to bring it up for cleaning and viewing. Is that too tall? Here is a very rough mock up I threw together 36 inches or so off the floor in my unfinished basement with the new tank. It seems ok but I could bring it down some.

Dimensions - 36”Lx19.5”Wx11.5”H (34-36 gallons I think)

I have a 24 gallon nanocube with sand and rock in my home office and this is going to replace it. I am planning on moving over two zoa covered rocks from the current tank (and algae but I am hoping the new tank lacks whatever is feeding it)., in with that dead rock I have in there.

This is the underside of the floor where it will be going (where the nanocube is now). The floor in my home office is carpeted but I was hoping the leveling feet would be enough or do I have to put something under it?

Reefer Reboot

F.V.P.!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
36" is good in my book, that's what mine is. (and what I mocked up.) As for the floor, I can't really say as I have only dealt with concrete floors personally. Maybe someone else can chime in.

OP
OP
S

slowride175

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am going to cut the pieces this weekend with a Dewalt miter saw and non-ferrous Diablo blade I bought for the job, and now that I see places cut this stuff for you, I wish I would have waited lol.

Anyway, I think I will build it like your drawing, having a box frame for the tank to sit on looks better to me vs my original design.

I'm still deciding what to do under it, as I think I might so something there to keep it off the floor itself.

Is there a place that sells high density plastic stuff that folks like here? I need to shop for panels for under the tank and for the decorative panels maybe, but for sure the under tank piece.

OP
OP
S

slowride175

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Due to some pretty unexpected life changes I had to delay this, but now I'm back looking at it.

I just realized when looking at the 10 x 39 inch 3030 extruded aluminum I bought that I won't have enough of it to build this stand.

Also, does anyone suggest or know if there are leveling casters for 3030 that just bolt on with a plate? I am trying to figure out the best way to level the tank and this seems like a good way, but I have to buckle down now and keep my head in this and get the pieces I do have cut and then I'll know how many pieces I am missing.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.1%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 91 80.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.4%
Back