adding CUC's to a sump

reef tank 2.0

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 100 gallon stock tank (75 gallons of water) that has Rock, hears, return pump, and a skimmer.
With my tank being very new, I have considered buying a couple CUC's that I could throw in the sump and leave it be.
I know I have snail and crab options, but I'm not sure what would be best in the sump. I'm thinking crabs, since I don't have sand.

for those of you that have CUC's in your sump........do you ever check on them, or feed them directly to make sure they are alive? With me having a lot of rock, the only time I would be ab;e to see them is if I remove the rocks when vacuuming out the sump.

I thought about an emerald crab, but should I think smaller?
I feel bad for throwing them in there to live in the dark until I'm down there for maintenance each night. but do they care about light?

suggestions?

19Mateo83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
This is a good question. I’m curious also as I have some hermits that are starting to get big and need to go somewhere other than my display.

JNalley

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have CUC in my display and sump... I have both snails and crabs in both... But, my sump is a refugium with its own light and light schedule... They eat the abundance of algae that grows down there, as well as the meaty foods that flow into it the one day a week I run sockless...

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have CUC in my display and sump... I have both snails and crabs in both... But, my sump is a refugium with its own light and light schedule... They eat the abundance of algae that grows down there, as well as the meaty foods that flow into it the one day a week I run sockless...
Yeah, I should have mentioned I have one snail in my refugium. Hair algae is growing so fast in there the poor thing is completely covered…

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 43 20.8%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.4%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 151 72.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 4.8%
Back