Need ID .. nuisance macro?

buruskeee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Starting to see more of these pop up in my sand. What is it and what eats it?

IMG_5290.jpeg

IMG_5291.jpeg

OP
OP
B

buruskeee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

NeedAReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking it could possibly be a type of Caulerpa but I’m really trying to nip it now before it gets invasive. Hoping to find out exactly what it is and what eats it. Tangs and CUC so far haven’t touched it.
hmm odd they don't touch it maybe because it is small, keep other things away if you do not want it. I love having stuff like that in my reef, makes it look more natural plus fairly easy to remove a lot at once, and away go nutrients. Maybe, if you do not want it there, you could grow it out in a small tub with some cheap grow light just to see what it becomes?

OP
OP
B

buruskeee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hmm odd they don't touch it maybe because it is small, keep other things away if you do not want it. I love having stuff like that in my reef, makes it look more natural plus fairly easy to remove a lot at once, and away go nutrients. Maybe, if you do not want it there, you could grow it out in a small tub with some cheap grow light just to see what it becomes?
I have a refugium with some PomPom macro I just started up again a couple weeks ago. I rather not have any in my display because I heard when macro gets on ricks they’re hard to remove.

Hopefully it’ll siphon out of the sand easy.

NeedAReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used chaeto and gracilaria without issue in the display and the sump. I am growing some grape caulerpa in a qt (nothing else in it at the moment) just to see what it does to my water there. it choked out some gha that I put in there on a rock. guess it grows faster? I dunno, but I felt like experimenting.

OP
OP
B

buruskeee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am growing some grape caulerpa in a qt (nothing else in it at the moment) just to see what it does to my water there. it choked out some gha that I put in there on a rock. guess it grows faster? I dunno, but I felt like experimenting.
Emerald Crabs eat these different macros I think? Maybe I’ll just grab some of those.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 43 21.0%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.5%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 149 72.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 4.9%
Back