1K Reef.... Miracles custom 1000 gallon aquarium 120”x60”x30”

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think a standby generator is a great option, I have to look into one that has enough juice to run the tank.

I want to get a home generator like a generac but haven’t crossed that bridge yet or priced one out yet with installation.
I commonly lose power, so it is not optional for me. How often do you lose power?

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve come home in last 2 years to microwave blinking once not sure how long power was out and a couple of flickers.

major power outage here none yet.
If your street power is underground, you are probably good. Our neighborhood is located "end of line" from the transmission center and all carried by overhead lines. So anytime wind gusts break over 40 mph, some section will lose power as trees topple over the lines.

bakbay

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We usually get hit 3-4 times / year for “scheduled maintenance”. However, one of those outages was for the whole day while we were at work. So glad I got the MP40 on battery - no harm/no foul.

@748S911 - you got automatic power transfer or gotta crank up the generator manually? To me, it’s very important to have continuous circulation while you’re away. Heat is another problem but almost all our tanks are indoor so we got time, esp the large water volume.

OP
OP
748S911

748S911

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We usually get hit 3-4 times / year for “scheduled maintenance”. However, one of those outages was for the whole day while we were at work. So glad I got the MP40 on battery - no harm/no foul.

@748S911 - you got automatic power transfer or gotta crank up the generator manually? To me, it’s very important to have continuous circulation while you’re away. Heat is another problem but almost all our tanks are indoor so we got time, esp the large water volume.
I don’t have anything if power went out today, I’m looking for options at the moment.

It’s looking like kohler or generac, but I’ve been reading there is a long wait time for delivery and instal.

I’m still doing my research on best option for my tank.

Sounds like it’s gonna be a dual fuel portable for the time being.

Seems like every YouTube, podcast, or talk is about generator smh and I don’t have anything right now.

bakbay

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t have anything if power went out today, I’m looking for options at the moment.

It’s looking like kohler or generac, but I’ve been reading there is a long wait time for delivery and instal.

I’m still doing my research on best option for my tank.

Sounds like it’s gonna be a dual fuel portable for the time being.

Seems like every YouTube, podcast, or talk is about generator smh and I don’t have anything right now.
You can get a cheap battery backup for your Jebao (assume you still got that?) while you figure long-term power backup solutions.

OP
OP
748S911

748S911

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I finally figured out my uv/ozone. I dialed it in so I don’t smell the ozone but the unit is connected and the diy air dryer is attached to end feeding dry air.

I increased the flow of return pump and the line attached to Venturi nib is sucking in air/ozone. I turned off the air pump so I’m not forcing the unit more air it’s just sucking up what the Venturi demands.

If I want more ozone I can close valve to suck more ozone through the Venturi nib. I don’t need to feed the unit with additional air for my application. It’s working and my ORP is steadily climbing it’s currently reading 320. Im waiting to get to 375 and I’ll back down and open the manifold valve until I find the sweet spot.

My water is crystal clear, the only reason my water isn’t perfect is because I have two now large diamond gobies playing in the sand, my Melanarus is in and out of sand too daily and occasionally I have sandstorms from the power heads cause I have them all cranked up to 85% heavy water flow here.

Last edited:

bakbay

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve done UV before but never Ozone. UV definitely helped with water clarity though but I switched to carbon dosing and ended up shutting down the UV. Per my understanding, UV is good for fish and algae and Ozone is good for corals. It’s cool that you’re doing both - looking forward to see how things go when the tank is filled with corals!

OP
OP
748S911

748S911

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went to go see a man about a Haddoni.

@PacificEastAquaculture Thank you Dr. Mac for all your help…The nems, clams, corals are all happy, healthy and enjoying the reef.

I finally got both nems to stay on rocks, spectacular all I can say is wow! The movement, color, and size of the nems are incredible. I think the Red haddoni is at least 30”+ stretched out. The Magnifica is huge!

water is a bit cloudy after a jar of phyto

CAD64D2D-0D16-43DC-A914-FFACBC9BD221.jpeg
3E722081-A7C5-4432-B19D-0576276E47EC.jpeg
AB4B2C43-1BA3-4285-AF4E-EB7A037476E5.jpeg
616E420B-4FEB-4B6D-9FA4-73DE02A59938.jpeg

zoohoot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any thoughts on flow? I love these big peninsula tanks with no hood. But I’ve heard it can be a real challenge to get flow all the way to the end of the tank.

OP
OP
748S911

748S911

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have 6 jebao mow-22 at 100 percent power they blow sand away from glass on opposite end. My issue is really how much flow I can push pumps to with out moving sand. That’s my main goal now lol. I’m not having issues with flow at the moment.
Plus I have Deltec Eflow16 for my return that moves a ton of water.

OP
OP
748S911

748S911

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When corals grow out it will be interesting to see how much flow gets to other side, I have another deltec eflow 16 and two mdp-20000 jebao return pumps that move water too. So I have some whirlpool wave options for future flow options lol.

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 33 29.2%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 21 18.6%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 28 24.8%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 29 25.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.8%
Back