How to unstick any seemingly stuck cycle

FindingNem0

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And I found it most interesting reading from Randy’s posts how freshwater vs saltwater are opposite cycling goals: nitrite is the important one for freshwater vs ammonia

That always fascinated me, thanks for posting :)
So I recently just got back into reefing, bought a waterbox 20 aio, running barebottom with bio media and rockscape. Currently day9 dosed Dr tims one and only. Once that's done cycling, I am thinking about dosing eco balance straight away. What you reckon?

OP
OP
brandon429

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a testless cycling thread, we use timeframes to cycle not test kits for reasons stated in post #1
(So that we avoid all false stalls and so we can assign a predetermined completion date for all cycles vs an open- ended wait)

Based on the jobs here i recommend to not add nor buy eco balance its not needed. If you used Dr Tims nine days ago your cycle is fine and done, we wait ten days here for all these jobs. Do a water change, then you can begin reefing. Add one capful of bacteria back to the clean water then never look back on cycling again, it'll be done

Your main challenge isn't the cycle it's disease imports that come in on the first fish added without quarantine

OP
OP
brandon429

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can u post a pic of your setup we like to see pics to assess surface area in place during this wait time

besides the Dr Tims, what did you put in as feed? the directions state to input some feed for the bac/what was that part

Last edited:

FindingNem0

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can u post a pic of your setup we like to see pics to assess surface area in place during this wait time

besides the Dr Tims, what did you put in as feed? the directions state to input some feed for the bac/what was that part
I have feed the bac, Dr tims ammonia. 50 drops on first day and 3rd day another 50 drops. Slightly under the recommended dosage.

Attachments

• 20240511_091058.jpg
    20240511_091058.jpg
    149.1 KB · Views: 4
OP
OP
brandon429

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
very nice, thats plenty of surface area. whatever you add will live if the acclimation is careful/no big salinity shifts but new additions also bring in disease at a rapid pace nowadays, so be sure and check out the disease forum on the site for fallow/quarantine prep options.

FindingNem0

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
very nice, thats plenty of surface area. whatever you add will live if the acclimation is careful/no big salinity shifts but new additions also bring in disease at a rapid pace nowadays, so be sure and check out the disease forum on the site for fallow/quarantine prep options.
So you reckon I should setup a QT now or in the near future?

OP
OP
brandon429

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a way to not have to set one up at all, yet still have a disease plan in place

(point of the thread: stocking all fish last, after complete build of the coral reef part instead of adding fish as first animals, has advantages. You can fallow the entire setup for three months before adding fish, and with pre-quarantined fish from places like Dr. Reefs fish you can then add them in. The discipline it takes to add fish last is the point of that thread)

Pick any method and run the one u like. It's true doing qt at home is wisest because you control the variables vs having to trust someone else.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 142 43.0%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 117 35.5%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 50 15.2%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 16 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.5%
Back