Just ordered a Red Sea S 550 G2

DustinDec

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welp, after over a month of going back and forth, I narrowed down my list to the following:

• IM 100 EXT or INT complete
  • Waterbox Infinia Reef 150.4
  • Red Sea 425 G2
  • Red Sea S 550 G2
  • Cade S2 1200
All of these are great tanks, but we kept running into little things. No cabinet space, sump wouldn't work with an automated reefmat, cabinet quality, pain to piece together, list goes on. We really liked the Red Sea tanks, and it helped that several LFS have them, so we could actually see them in person. But, we really didn't trust a plywood stand for long term ownership. Then we realized the S series, while more expensive, had aluminum stands. Still some things we're concerned about, but overall it fits what we wanted most. It also helped that my LFS has a good relationship with Red Sea, and was able to score me the tank with ~15% off.

Given we're upgrading after only about 4 months into the hobby from our Fluval Flex 32.5g, we're hoping to reuse as much equipment as possible. We have two new Ai Prime HD 16 lights for example. We plan to do one on each side, and buy a Hydra 32 to go into the center for now. Given we only have a duncan and some zoas, I think it'll be fine, and we can extend to 2 or 3 hydra 32 lights later.

We also have 2 nero 3 wave makers. I'm planning to use on on the back within the tank display, on the far right. The other will be kept for the Fluval which we will leave setup until this new tank is fully cycled and as a QT going forward. Otherwise, we figured we could use it in the sump eventually. Lastly, we're thinking we will pick up an Orbit 4 to go on the far left.

Thinking we will grab red sea pump to handle the return pump. Still debating this. Might go with Apex, since I already have their controller.

No idea what we're going to do for the heater yet.

Any feedback/suggestions is appreciated, but to be honest, I'm just really excited. Thinking about doing a tank thread.

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got no direct answers but I’m managing Apex and Red Sea gear using two apps…not a show stopper, but annoying from a integration point of view and also monitoring two different apps is not ideal
If I had a do over I’d pic one app universe and stay there

OP
OP
D

DustinDec

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got no direct answers but I’m managing Apex and Red Sea gear using two apps…not a show stopper, but annoying from a integration point of view and also monitoring two different apps is not ideal
If I had a do over I’d pic one app universe and stay there
I completely understand and I'm doing the same right now with AI, Apex, and Red Sea. None of them are perfect integration unfortunately. At least with the AI, I only go in now to edit flow rates, with macro's setup in Apex to shutoff the flow during feeding, and it's timed. I probably should try to keep the flow controls all with Apex though.

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I completely understand and I'm doing the same right now with AI, Apex, and Red Sea. None of them are perfect integration unfortunately. At least with the AI, I only go in now to edit flow rates, with macro's setup in Apex to shutoff the flow during feeding, and it's timed. I probably should try to keep the flow controls all with Apex though.
yes, and my attempt to at least chuck the AI mobius app and integrate the AI universe into Apex failed with that clunky MXM, which seems to always be missing in Fusion

smallfox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welp, after over a month of going back and forth, I narrowed down my list to the following:

• IM 100 EXT or INT complete
  • Waterbox Infinia Reef 150.4
  • Red Sea 425 G2
  • Red Sea S 550 G2
  • Cade S2 1200
All of these are great tanks, but we kept running into little things. No cabinet space, sump wouldn't work with an automated reefmat, cabinet quality, pain to piece together, list goes on. We really liked the Red Sea tanks, and it helped that several LFS have them, so we could actually see them in person. But, we really didn't trust a plywood stand for long term ownership. Then we realized the S series, while more expensive, had aluminum stands. Still some things we're concerned about, but overall it fits what we wanted most. It also helped that my LFS has a good relationship with Red Sea, and was able to score me the tank with ~15% off.

Given we're upgrading after only about 4 months into the hobby from our Fluval Flex 32.5g, we're hoping to reuse as much equipment as possible. We have two new Ai Prime HD 16 lights for example. We plan to do one on each side, and buy a Hydra 32 to go into the center for now. Given we only have a duncan and some zoas, I think it'll be fine, and we can extend to 2 or 3 hydra 32 lights later.

We also have 2 nero 3 wave makers. I'm planning to use on on the back within the tank display, on the far right. The other will be kept for the Fluval which we will leave setup until this new tank is fully cycled and as a QT going forward. Otherwise, we figured we could use it in the sump eventually. Lastly, we're thinking we will pick up an Orbit 4 to go on the far left.

Thinking we will grab red sea pump to handle the return pump. Still debating this. Might go with Apex, since I already have their controller.

No idea what we're going to do for the heater yet.

Any feedback/suggestions is appreciated, but to be honest, I'm just really excited. Thinking about doing a tank thread.

Looking forward to reading about your build! I just ordered the same tank/stand combination this morning!

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get a plain titanium finnex heating element. No electronics built in. And an external controller. If you don’t need to integrate with anything finnex makes a bundle with both

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 24 23.1%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.9%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 74 71.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.8%
Back