Looking for a mentor

Shawn_Palmer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

I live in East Texas and am looking for a mentor. I am looking to set up a mixed reef tank here in the near future. I’ve had experience in the past with a FOWLR tank about 7 years ago but I was a lot younger then and jumped into this hobby head first and made probably all of the beginner, want results ASAP mistakes. I just didn’t set myself up for success.

I’ve been doing bundles of research and watching a whole lot of BRStv and World Wide Corals channel on YouTube.

I just want someone who knows what they’re doing and can give me advice through out this journey.

I’d like to say I have a vision of what exactly I’m looking for but the endless options an expert opinion on equipment, stock selection, and ESPECIALLY corals would greatly benefit me. I want to do this the correct way this time around.

If anyone is interested, feel free to reach out and we can maybe create something awesome for my family to enjoy.

Thanks,

Shawn

Outlaw Corals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would be happy to help, I’m in New Jersey i am retired and i am into my 31st year of reefing, reefing is not a hobby for me it’s a way of life, when I’m not tending to my tanks I’m alway’s looking at all the websites doing my research on prices on corals, fish and equipment, I also have some great contacts for just about everything from all the networking I’ve been doing for years, feel free to inbox me with any questions or anything else you may need help with

OP
OP
Shawn_Palmer

Shawn_Palmer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey! I’m located in the DFW area, so not super local to you, but happy to offer advice on anything that comes up…
That would be great! I appreciate it. Here in the Longview area we have one LFS. My last go around I found myself in the DFW area quite a bit. Usually at Dallas North Aquarium. Are there any other places you recommend to check out?

I’m still currently trying to decide what tank to go with at the moment. I want to go in the 50-100 gal range and no more than 40” in length for where I want it to go in my living room. I’m also weighing and All in one or sump set up.

OP
OP
Shawn_Palmer

Shawn_Palmer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would be happy to help, I’m in New Jersey i am retired and i am into my 31st year of reefing, reefing is not a hobby for me it’s a way of life, when I’m not tending to my tanks I’m alway’s looking at all the websites doing my research on prices on corals, fish and equipment, I also have some great contacts for just about everything from all the networking I’ve been doing for years, feel free to inbox me with any questions or anything else you may need help with
Wow that’s awesome. I would love to get to that level someday! I will definitely be reaching out.

I’m still trying to decide on a tank I have a few I’m interested in but I’ve learned to have some patience. I want to be as prepared as I can be when I ready start up. I’m looking in the 50-100 gal range and no longer than 40” in length for where I want to put it in my living room.

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That would be great! I appreciate it. Here in the Longview area we have one LFS. My last go around I found myself in the DFW area quite a bit. Usually at Dallas North Aquarium. Are there any other places you recommend to check out?

I’m still currently trying to decide what tank to go with at the moment. I want to go in the 50-100 gal range and no more than 40” in length for where I want it to go in my living room. I’m also weighing and All in one or sump set up.
My favorite LFS in DFW is AquaStudios. It's not as massive as Dallas North Aquarium, but they have really cool stock every time I go there. Exotic aquatics is also decent, they have unique fish sometimes and the staff is very helpful.

What tanks are you considering? What's your budget? For that size range, definitely give waterbox a look:

OP
OP
Shawn_Palmer

Shawn_Palmer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My favorite LFS in DFW is AquaStudios. It's not as massive as Dallas North Aquarium, but they have really cool stock every time I go there. Exotic aquatics is also decent, they have unique fish sometimes and the staff is very helpful.

What tanks are you considering? What's your budget? For that size range, definitely give waterbox a look:

I will definitely check those stores out! Thank you.

I’ve been looking at a few water box tanks. Not sure how I would feel about the peninsula style tanks just because I where I want to put it. I would want the side viewing angles. I’d prefer not to push $3K just so I could justify getting more equipment earlier. I love the AquaForest OceanGuard 435 right now! But it’s right there at the man do I want to spend that much range. Also been looking at the RedSea Max-E260. On the less expensive side I’ve been looking at the innovative marine SR Pro 2 60 gal AIO and the EXT 75 gal complete marine reef system.

Outlaw Corals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow that’s awesome. I would love to get to that level someday! I will definitely be reaching out.

I’m still trying to decide on a tank I have a few I’m interested in but I’ve learned to have some patience. I want to be as prepared as I can be when I ready start up. I’m looking in the 50-100 gal range and no longer than 40” in length for where I want to put it in my living room.
You don’t want to go with a AIO you loose to much room with the sump on the back of the tank, i know of 2 really good options for you both just about 36 inches in length

Outlaw Corals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I’ve been looking at a few water box tanks. Not sure how I would feel about the peninsula style tanks just because I where I want to put it. I would want the side viewing angles. I’d prefer not to push $3K just so I could justify getting more equipment earlier. I love the AquaForest OceanGuard 435 right now! But it’s right there at the man do I want to spend that much range. Also been looking at the RedSea Max-E260. On the less expensive side I’ve been looking at the innovative marine SR Pro 2 60 gal AIO and the EXT 75 gal complete marine reef system.
This is a nice system even comes with a return pump

Outlaw Corals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I’ve been looking at a few water box tanks. Not sure how I would feel about the peninsula style tanks just because I were I want to put it. I would want the side viewing angles. I’d prefer not to push $3K just so I could justify getting more equipment earlier. I love the AquaForest OceanGuard 435 right now! But it’s right there at the man do I want to spend that much range. Also been looking at the RedSea Max-E260. On the less expensive side I’ve been looking at the innovative marine SR Pro 2 60 gal AIO and the EXT 75 gal complete marine reef system.
This is a great deal, I’m thinking of replacing my 30 gallon with this

OP
OP
Shawn_Palmer

Shawn_Palmer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a nice system even comes with a return pump

Yes, this is one of the systems I have been looking at and leaning towards!

OP
OP
Shawn_Palmer

Shawn_Palmer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a great deal, I’m thinking of replacing my 30 gallon with this

Yes this one is nice. I haven’t looked at this system yet! I will have to show my wife. She is picky on the cabinets

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 24 24.5%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 2.0%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 69 70.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.1%
Back