New Guy from Dallas

smithcamt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey R2R,

Been lurking around for a couple weeks to glean some info and decided to make a profile. I have had a freshwater tank for years, and upgraded it to a 55gal a little over a year ago. I do really enjoy it, but I've always been curious in the saltwater community. Last month, my fiance got me a Nuvo Fusion Pro 20 gallon. Ironically, I read that bigger tank setups are easier to upkeep, but it's a good size for where it's located in my office, and I think it'll be perfect for me as I pick up this hobby.

I need a good protein skimmer that'll fit behind the tank. Tank has been cycling for about a week and a half now, and my goal is to have a couple Ocellaris Clownfish, but really focus on some lively coral for it. The LED is an AquaKnight A029.

Any good tips for beginners based off my setup? And/or any other recommendations for equipment?

1.jpg 2.jpg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0

moreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome fellow Texan. Love the scape. Yes bigger is easier but thats a nice little tank. Hard to tell in pic but will need a powerhead or two for flow. May want to invest in auto top off when able. Our local club is DFWMAS and would be good resource for dry goods and also livestock. Reef2Reef is best club in country imo so your off to great start. Good luck and enjoy the ride.

El_Guapo13

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R fellow Texan!!!
giphy.gif

Your tank looks good. As others have mentioned, take it slow and don't rush things. When you rush, things go crazy, crashes happen, fish die, and you have to start over. So take it slow.

Have you tested it since you started cycling to see where your parameters are at? Even then, I would add a small CUC first, cause if you add them and they die fairly soon after, then you need to check tour parameters again and possibly continue cycling for another week or two.

After you have had your CUC in for about two weeks (and hopefully been watching your parameters the entire time), then add a pair of Clowns or a few hardier corals. Wait a few weeks to ensure your tank is able to handle the biolad. Add whichever you didn't add previously between the clowns and corals.

And then just keep up on maintenance, add a few more corals here and there. If you need to add more CUC, do that. And any other fish, probably add one at a time, a few weeks apart - unless it is something that also comes in a pair or school.

living_tribunal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey R2R,

Been lurking around for a couple weeks to glean some info and decided to make a profile. I have had a freshwater tank for years, and upgraded it to a 55gal a little over a year ago. I do really enjoy it, but I've always been curious in the saltwater community. Last month, my fiance got me a Nuvo Fusion Pro 20 gallon. Ironically, I read that bigger tank setups are easier to upkeep, but it's a good size for where it's located in my office, and I think it'll be perfect for me as I pick up this hobby.

I need a good protein skimmer that'll fit behind the tank. Tank has been cycling for about a week and a half now, and my goal is to have a couple Ocellaris Clownfish, but really focus on some lively coral for it. The LED is an AquaKnight A029.

Any good tips for beginners based off my setup? And/or any other recommendations for equipment?

1.jpg 2.jpg

I live in Dallas as well!

Welcome to r2r

Back