Please do a review/ article on the massive amount of red sea tank failures for the last five years

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

OP
OP
brandon429

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reefbuilders

You're fully aware now of a massive number of red sea fails after having wrote the article helping them sell more to unsuspecting buyers, with radio silence, you won't provide any counter information at all. This removes your trustworthiness in my book, in it for the ad cash only it seems

There are enough new breaks you've already seen in the forums, at this point you're just selling anything to readers without any vetting.

Here is the sales article that you wrote that brought new buyers to red sea

Now that you can find several g2 seam split examples here, for what you sold, where is the counter balance info for your readers?

and a new one, still not one single mention of 30+ breaks uploaded to forums in the last 3 months.

how is this not misleading your readers

Last edited:

Kopka

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's what happens with these tanks when a dude spends 10k on a tank that weighs as much as a small car when filled and then doesn't want to pay the dealer $500 bucks to install it professionally. Saturday afternoon Billy Ray and his buddies 14 beers in.... I own a lawn/ landscape company and people will spend 2k on mulch and then not want to pay $300 for weed barrier and then 3 weeks later wonder why they have weeds coming up.. I own a reefer 625 and paid to have it installed properly. I also have owned several IM tanks and others through the years. So I'm not partial to any brand really. In fact I'm strongly leaning toward a tenecor acrylic next because I'm sick of lugging heavy glass tanks. My stand alone probably has 3 dozen leveling legs. Two guys spent nearly 3 hours leveling it. First just the stand then again after the tank was setup then they put 100 gallons in it and did the whole process again . There's no way the guy who ordered it off BRS or wherever is going through all those steps. The brand doesn't matter. Proper setup does . There's a risk for failure on any tank.
Crazy Eyes Meme GIF by MOODMAN
Sorry but this is a terrible hot take on the issue. I had my LFS deliver and install my Reefer 350. Perfectly level on tile floor. The bottom seam burst open this weekend dumping 70 gallons of water in my living room. The problem is the design. The bottom seal is completely unsupported. Redsea knows its an issue because they ADVERTISE that the new tanks have "upgraded" bracing and seals.

Waynerock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had slight silicone separation on the bottom panel sent pictures in an email to Red Sea I was still within my three year warranty. They replaced the aquarium portion. No questions asked and I had a new tank within four days that was two years ago and the replacement has been just fine. I have a thread on here somewhere about that experience, but they handle it like champs.

OP
OP
brandon429

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Kopka had you seen the break warning threads before choosing red sea for your tank or after? Nobody in the sales chain is going to pre warn, they have stock to move

Last edited:
OP
OP
brandon429

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for posting this for reefbuilders to see, they are a routine sales promoter for red sea tanks and not one word to their readers about break risk even after multiple requests and a clear market issue in the matter.

It's an ethics matter to me: bottom line vs fair disclosure

Kopka

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had slight silicone separation on the bottom panel sent pictures in an email to Red Sea I was still within my three year warranty. They replaced the aquarium portion. No questions asked and I had a new tank within four days that was two years ago and the replacement has been just fine. I have a thread on here somewhere about that experience, but they handle it like champs.
Thats great. You were one of the lucky ones that noticed it and was within your warranty. The problem is that they should be sending out a recall to all G1 reefer owners telling them to check the seams and file for a replacement immediately. Thats the right thing to do. Or, at the very least they should still replace the tank if its say under 5 years old or so. Nobody spends 2k on a fish tank and hopes it will survive for at least 3 years. Best believe I will go to war with them as my tank is only 3.5 years old.

OP
OP
brandon429

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
reefbuilders I'm aware that I have no right to request/borderline demand that you inform readers of these risks, I'm a gnat on the wall in the matter.

but as a reader of your work the fact I'm seeing 2x sales pitches with no counterbalance is offensive, am saying that constructively

let's say that 1/3 of my laptops for sale stock were known to explode due to bad lipo production, and I kept selling them anyway

meaning I could get online, type in the brandon429's fanstastic laptops, and if I saw over 40 mentions of lipo fires in 2023 I could reasonably assume I'd aligned with a questionable producer. I could then choose to act, or stay radio silent on what is clearly outstanding data.

would that make me a good or a bad salesman, is it ethical to just keep selling them anyway? wouldn't I need to warn about the bad production lot while at the same time pitching for the new and safer lot? Could I as an ethical salesman simply omit mentioning the bad stock, always root for the good stock, but not actually stop any buys of the bad stock I carry or write ads for>?

being silent on 3 red sea breaks, even though I can't find three for another brand in 2023 would be understandable

but how about now, what is this 40 or so across forums?

Last edited:
OP
OP
brandon429

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Kopka thank you so much and I'm sorry this happened but your statements will help.

that means any forewarning outside just these rogue threads would be valid and darn near ethically required for readers. sometimes a blog is a person's critical means to understanding and sometimes its a forum, or word of mouth from a pet store. wherever the whispering goes down is where the disclosure for risk was due.

Last edited:

Waynerock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats great. You were one of the lucky ones that noticed it and was within your warranty. The problem is that they should be sending out a recall to all G1 reefer owners telling them to check the seams and file for a replacement immediately. Thats the right thing to do. Or, at the very least they should still replace the tank if its say under 5 years old or so. Nobody spends 2k on a fish tank and hopes it will survive for at least 3 years. Best believe I will go to war with them as my tank is only 3.5 years old.
My tank is only the reefer 250 and not one of the problem ones and still separated! And yes they advertise the “floating “look where the front Paine does not touch the stand. No support on the front. I was lucky to sign for the extended 3 year warranty or else I would of been SOL. My issue would of probably been ok and not led to failure but coraline was getting down in the gap and looked like trash. It was a super easy process to get replaced and they never gave me a hard time. I can understand not doing a recall cause even people that don’t have problems would probably do something dumb to get their tank replaced for free cause you know how people can be but they should have something in place. It’s crazy how everything holds together as it is with these tanks. I could not imagine more water than the 65 gallons I have going all over. Sucks so bad to have that happen. At the end of the day these are “affordable” mass produced Chinese made rimless tanks. All we can do is pray the workers were having a good day at work and did everything perfect. Sucks when you can’t rely on a company to catch any issues but I guess it even happens with custom American made tanks too. The difference is Red Sea sells thousands more every year so more people get bad ones. Should be 0 bad ones but that never happens. I have 3 friends with RS tanks. All are over 5 years old and 1 is over 10. No sagging or any issues with those. They must of go lucky or they made them better/different back then

Joe24Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone, this is my first post. I wanted to add my xl 525 g1 failure to the list. The tank failed last week, unfortunately I did not take pictures as my priority was to either stop the leak somehow (futile attempt) and rescue the livestock. Luckily I caught the leak pretty much when it started and got a brute under it. I was able to transfer the livestock to another smaller tank. The seam failure occurred on the bottom front seam between the left hand and middle door. Pretty much the same place most of them have failed. I bought the tank used so I had no ground to stand on with Red Sea. The tank was leveled when I set it up and still is. This was a nightmare I will never forget or forgive. My sympathies go out to all that have experienced this tragedy. I hope this post will be useful to anyone researching what brand of tank to buy. My advice... stay away from red sea aquariums.

OP
OP
brandon429

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reefbuilders what's your response.

DIFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there any test or visual inspection for this? One of the first times I am hearing about this and got my 250 second hand and it is a 2018 so any indicators or warning signs would be great.

Icedphoenix

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How are the seams busting out on the bottom? Is the bottom glass set within the four panels kind of like a floating bottom?
The front panel is basically suspended and is glued to the other 3 panels. From what I can gather where the front panel is glued to the bottom the seam tears slowly over time until the weight causes it to pop away. Draining the tank and sand onto the floor. I personally had an old curved panel Max and was not worried about it at all but specifically went with another company when I upgraded because of the issue of panel separation on red sea tanks.

OP
OP
brandon429

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reefbuilders

just wanted to get you another chance to say something, anything about the pattern on file

soon we will be on page four radio silence. Five months, no acknowledgement and two Red Sea sales blogs posted

Last edited:
OP
OP
brandon429

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s hard to fathom why we can’t get bloggers or writers to discuss the issue

Last edited:

Kopka

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wanted to follow up on this. Redsea is sending me a new Reefer 350 G2 version for free. The tank was out of warranty by 8 months so I'm happy they are owning up to it. Still would have liked to see some compensation for loss of livestock and damages to house but I highly doubt that ever happens in situations like these.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wanted to follow up on this. Redsea is sending me a new Reefer 350 G2 version for free. The tank was out of warranty by 8 months so I'm happy they are owning up to it. Still would have liked to see some compensation for loss of livestock and damages to house but I highly doubt that ever happens in situations like these.
How much pressure did you have to apply?

WHITE BUCKET CHALLENGE : How CLEAR do you think your water is in your reef aquarium? Show us your water!

• Crystal Clear

Votes: 98 41.5%
  • Mostly clear with a tint of yellow

Votes: 116 49.2%
  • More yellow than clear

Votes: 9 3.8%
  • YUCKY YELLOW

Votes: 5 2.1%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 8 3.4%
Back