regal swimming at surface . strange issues

chicago

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so I’ve had a pair of regal angels in my system for a few years now they tend to get along. Recently, I noticed a smaller one swimming at the surface. This has been going on for a few days now, and it appeared to only be during the evening hours. sometimes the pair would swim up top as if doing a ritual. Today I woke up to the smaller one now, vertical and trying to eat off the glass braces out of the water. He is taking a turn for the worst. I have him in an isolation box. Please see video any thoughts of what might be going on. All other fish in the tank were good no change in medication no changes in parameters. I had a feeling that perhaps it was a snail that stung the fish while sleeping.

Attachments

• IMG_6610.mov
    39.6 MB

MERKEY

Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
When you say no changes in medication....what were you using and why?

What kind of snails do you have that would sting a fish?

So sorry this is happening

OP
OP
chicago

chicago

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what I was trying to convey was that I have not changed any of the parameters to the tank in the past months or so. No chemi clean no carbon no use of changing any phosphate removers nothing just came out of the blue. I hesitate to say this, but the only thing that changed was one time feed. of my tank. Perhaps this is a stomach issue. I have been feeding all my fish pellets heavy variety of pellets heavy for the past six months and do very well and very fat. Last week I got an urge to cut up some frozen food and fed him some scallops. It had slight freezer burn on the scallops but again all other fish are doing fine and well.

Muppy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am certainly not an expert in fish health, however I have kept a few regals in the past. Mine often hang around at the surface playing with bubbles. And I am certain that if I put one in an acclimation box that small, it would act the same way yours is. Is he squirting water out of his mouth at the surface?

OP
OP
chicago

chicago

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
understood.. he is in the box .. because he is and was having hard time swimming... was ending up in power heads.. he was doing the head **** thing before putting him in the box...

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 36 29.8%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 21 17.4%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 30 24.8%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 32 26.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.7%
Back