0 nitrate readings

Arjuna32

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I upgraded my tank from a 10 gallon nano to a Waterbox Mariner 60.2 (36 gallon display around 15 gallon sump) it’s been running for a few months now and I’m consistently getting 0 nitrate readings with Hanna high range nitrate. I heard that you’re not supposed to dose nitrates during the ugly stage so I’m not sure how to increase my nitrates. Stocking is 2 clowns, shrimp goby pair, blue neon goby and a bicolor blenny. For filtration I have a filter sock I change weekly, protein skimmer, and a refugium I just recently put in but the Chaeto doesn’t seem to be growing

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would just feed the fish more.

If you transferred established media to the new tank, you could already have enough anaerobic bacteria to convert nitrates back into nitrogen gas... especially given the new tank volume.

If you're trying to bring nutrients up, you might want to shorten the photoperiod on the chaeto (so it doesnt consume as much) and run the skimmer without the cup. That way you'll still get good gas exchange but won't strip nutrients.

Upvote 0

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
As long as you don’t have corals and things are looking OK I would not worry about it for now. Even if you have corals it’s probably not the end of the world. I pretty regularly get 0 nitrate readings in my mixed reef. Some corals don’t like but most tolerate it for at least a little bit. I started dosing nitrate for those corals that don’t like it.

Could try turning off you skimmer and fuge also, as both are going to directly or indirectly remove N from the water. . . Or feed more, though this can cause issues of its own.

Upvote 0

Macbalacano

Recovering Reef Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have to disagree a little bit with some folks here - I would not advocate for keeping 0 nitrates long term - that is just begging for Dinos to come, in my opinion and experience.

I dose both phosphates and nitrates daily in my 15G, because I can't keep that much fish and I have a lot of coral. When I did have nitrates go to 0, I got hit with Dinos and you can read any of the long Dino threads on this forum and they will all say the same.

I would feed more and if that doesn't get your levels up, I would dose, even by hand just so that there is at least some trace amount of nitrates that are detectable by your test kit.

Just my 2 cents, but of course ymmv!

Upvote 0

DO YOU USE A PAR METER WHEN PLACING NEW CORAL IN YOUR TANK?

• Yes! I think it's important for the longterm health/growth of my coral.

Votes: 6 8.3%
  • Yes, but I don't find that it is necessary all the time.

Votes: 16 22.2%
  • Not currently, but I would like to.

Votes: 32 44.4%
  • No. I don't measure PAR and my corals are still healthy/growing.

Votes: 14 19.4%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 4 5.6%
Back