Rating - 0%
0   0   0

luis angel

Tailspots and Tacos
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today I am going to check the water to see how I am doing with the parameters, I did the first water change last week with the new salt, what do you recommend? Change more water today or wait 1 or 2 more week to not make such strong changes in the tank

OP
OP
00W

00W

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good morning y'all!
Happy Saturday!
Enjoy every minute of today!
clint-eastwood-1955.jpg

OP
OP
00W

00W

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today I am going to check the water to see how I am doing with the parameters, I did the first water change last week with the new salt, what do you recommend? Change more water today or wait 1 or 2 more week to not make such strong changes in the tank
Nothing wrong with changing water.
What are your parameters now Luis?
I change a little every week and siphon out junk from the bottom.
Not a huge water change unless I really want to lower either N or P.

luis angel

Tailspots and Tacos
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nothing wrong with changing water.
What are your parameters now Luis?
I change a little every week and siphon out junk from the bottom.
Not a huge water change unless I really want to lower either N or P.
I want to change 5g a week, but I want to do it little by little now at the beginning, I am going to check parameters now at 11am

kevgib67

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have always done a weekly water change but with a low bioload in that size tank I would probably be comfortable doing biweekly.

luis angel

Tailspots and Tacos
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have always done a weekly water change but with a low bioload in that size tank I would probably be comfortable doing biweekly.
Right now I do it once a month, but every 2 weeks works for me, do you recommend 5g or 10g?

kevgib67

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do a 4 gallon water change weekly, the corals look happier after and it removes nutrients and replenishes trace minerals, but that’s just me there are other ways to accomplish the same things. There are people on this forum that never do water changes.

ESABOE

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do a 4 gallon water change weekly, the corals look happier after and it removes nutrients and replenishes trace minerals, but that’s just me there are other ways to accomplish the same things. There are people on this forum that never do water changes.
Agreed. Luis, it’s based on % of water per month. Rule of thumb is 30%. That can be achieved weekly, bi-weekly, monthly or any way that works for you.

For me, the 30% model works for my brain and also easy for me to know how much if i were to miss a week.

Right now, my schedule is one 30% water change every three weeks (Dylan does this one). And I do a 10% water change sometime within that 4 week period (depending on how tank is looking and water parameters are).

Everyone handles WC differently and with a different philosophy- you have to find one that works for you. Does it fit within your RL schedule; will you have saltwater on hand rdy to go?; and most importantly does that schedule/% of water keep your tank where you want it to be.

luis angel

Tailspots and Tacos
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you very much, I will keep your advices in mind, the truth is that changing 5g a month has been good for me, the problem has been no3 and po4, I know that I overfeed the fish and corals, but since that is what is working for me in growth and color I am looking for a solution for no3 and po4 so that they do not go up too much

WalkerLovesTheOcean

"Just keeps swimming!"
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you very much, I will keep your advices in mind, the truth is that changing 5g a month has been good for me, the problem has been no3 and po4, I know that I overfeed the fish and corals, but since that is what is working for me in growth and color I am looking for a solution for no3 and po4 so that they do not go up too much
Try adding some macroalgae to your tank.

DOES TANK SIZE MATTER WHEN TRYING TO MAINTAIN A STABLE ENVIRONMENT FOR YOUR REEF?

• Yes, the environment in smaller tanks is harder to maintain.

Votes: 45 63.4%
  • Yes, the environment in larger tank is harder to maintain.

Votes: 1 1.4%
  • Reef environments are hard to maintain no matter the size of the tank.

Votes: 14 19.7%
  • You have problems maintaining your reef's environment? Noob.

Votes: 8 11.3%
  • Other (Please explain!)

Votes: 3 4.2%
Back