100 Gallon Tropical Saltwater Paludarium

dpoltsdsu

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone and welcome to the thread!

I'm going to be attempting to do something that I have wanted to do for a very long time, a fully fledged saltwater Paludarium. I have had my 120 gallon SPS reef running for a few years but a pipe burst in the wall behind the tank and I had to take it down. I figured this would be a great opportunity to create this Paludarium.

Concept - I want this Paludarium to have a beautiful coral reef on the bottom that slowly transitions to a tropical rainforest on top. I think this concept will be a challenging and unique setup. The goal would be to showcase all kinds of live, on both land and water. I would focus mainly on hardy soft corals and inverts on the bottom and then the setup would transition to a land portion with tropical plants and likely a couple of small geckos.

Tank - 36" long by 36" tall by 18" wide. The tank will have a 7" water height for the saltwater section. My hope is that the extra height of the tank will allow enough room where salt creep is minimized. Within the tank, I will form a watertight barrier so there is no chance any saltwater can get into the land area. The land area will be quite a ways up from the saltwater section to try and minimize the salt creep which I assume is going to be the biggest challenge with this. The "transition" will be a wall that's foamed over with rock and sand to try and give it a cliff like feel to lead to the tropical land area. The land section's back wall will also incorporate a custom background with Bromeliads and other Epiphytes. I will likely incorporate the ATO into the saltwater section with some kind of small waterfall as well. The tank will also be setup with automatic misters which should hopefully aid with the salt creep as well.

Lighting - Lighting for this tank is going to be a bit of a challenge as I'm going to need to find a middle ground in the spectrums that will hopefully work . I'm still researching some options for this

More to come!

Devaji

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
differently fallowing this one. thought about this a few times.

is that 7" with sad or with out? might water to make the water deeper IMHO with LR and sand does not leave much room for the corals to grow. with softies most grow up. unless you are talking about shrooms and zoos.

have you seen this:

OP
OP
dpoltsdsu

dpoltsdsu

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
differently fallowing this one. thought about this a few times.

is that 7" with sad or with out? might water to make the water deeper IMHO with LR and sand does not leave much room for the corals to grow. with softies most grow up. unless you are talking about shrooms and zoos.

have you seen this:

Thanks! I’ll take a look at that video right now!

It’ll be about 7 inches of pure water space. Not a ton of water height but I already have quite a bit of flatter pieces of live rock. I have a good collection of Rock Flower Anemones, Ricordea, Zoas, Acans, that shouldn’t grow too high hopefully.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

IS YOUR REEF AUTOMATED? WHY OR WHY NOT?

• Yes, my tank is almost fully automated.

Votes: 7 23.3%
  • Yes, I have some automation in my tank.

Votes: 10 33.3%
  • Yes, but I have very little automation in my tank.

Votes: 7 23.3%
  • No, I have no automation in my tank.

Votes: 6 20.0%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back