Is the reefing community cooling down?

Cichlid Dad

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Recently, I flew 1000 miles with a coral frag on my lap, and met a total stranger in the cell phone lot at my final destination airport to give it to them. That was fun. We need more of that :)
I hear stories of " the olden days" where reefers visiting a fellow reefer at home and always walking away with a frag or two for their tanks because he liked a coral.

exnisstech

Grumpy old man
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the age of internet has hurt along with helping. I believe many people get in and have this illusion they can create that perfect IG youtube etc. tank and fail to realize how much effort it takes to get those tanks to look they do. Personally I'm skeptical if many of those tank are even running tanks. Seeing is no longer believing like it used to be, at least not for me. Then a few months in they get some algae and freak out. Start trying to stop the tanks natural progression because it's ugly and things go down hill from there. Ryan hit the nail on the head with his recent video when he said stop listening to everyone and start listening to someone. May not be an exact quote. JMO

rtparty

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
People staying inside and getting handed "free" money made many hobbies boom. Reality caught up though. Can't stay inside forever, money isn't free, the hobby is hard, the economy sucks, things aren't getting better under current policies, etc

The hobby bubble burst and dropped like a rock. It will take years to come back, if it ever does

Bpones

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d say there will also be a perceived lessened interest after folks get into the hobby as they settle in. I was super active when I set up my first tank 10+ years ago. I was at my LSF at least once a week. Constantly talking to folks in person and online. But after 2-3 years the tank was super stable, fully stocked, and I just let it roll. I didn’t need more fish, coral, or equipment. I made water at home and enjoyed the tank. I’m sure my LFS assumed I got out of the hobby and I wasn’t active on any reef forums or Facebook pages.
In that time I’ve dabbled in other hobbies. Koi, orchids, grad school.

This last year I finally decided to make some changes to my big tank in addition to buying a 15g. Now I’m back in it. Cycling a tank, keeping inverts I’ve never had before, buying live stock, selling frags to my LFS so I can get store credit for new gear/fish, needing advice and learning new lessons. I’m sure with in a year or two I’ll be back to cruise control and just doing my occasional water changes and feeding the fish. Maybe not. But it sure is fun to shake things up now and again.

Bpones

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the age of internet has hurt along with helping. I believe many people get in and have this illusion they can create that perfect IG youtube etc. tank and fail to realize how much effort it takes to get those tanks to look they do. Personally I'm skeptical if many of those tank are even running tanks. Seeing is no longer believing like it used to be, at least not for me. Then a few months in they get some algae and freak out. Start trying to stop the tanks natural progression because it's ugly and things go down hill from there. Ryan hit the nail on the head with his recent video when he said stop listening to everyone and start listening to someone. May not be an exact quote. JMO
Man, the point about letting a tank be ugly is such a good point. People see my newest tank and ask, why are the rocks covered in algae? And I tell them that’s just where the tank is in its life cycle. They ask how I’m going to fix it. Well, I’m just going to let it roll. When I say it’s a “young” tank because it’s only like 7 months old I can tell who is and isn’t made for this hobby.

So many people want immediate results like they see online. That’s just not how it works.

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it’s definitely tied to the economy. Reefing is a luxury, not a need for survival for most people. I don’t think we’ll see a boom like the covid days, but when people have more money in their pocket, and more time, they may look to reefing. But, imo, reefing is also seasonal and usually mainstream from December to April in the U.S.
Reefing is also a tiny fraction of the pet industry. And those that “reef” year round are a tiny fraction of that fraction.

jkcoral

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
During COVID there was a lot of people that just needed something to do to entertain themselves and keep busy. Some people who were already in the hobby probably indulged even further during these times, and some people maybe got started reefing to pick up a new hobby.

And economic factors almost certainly play a part. When rent/housing is costing more than ever, grocery prices going up and up, etc., people are being more selective with how they use their expendable income (if any).

That said, I still see reasonably priced gear and frags sell (and rather quickly). And I think that the over commoditization of coral has led to some burnout. It is increasingly common to see people who buy over priced corals with the mindset of “I can sell frags of this for so much.” And the growing number of posts over the years (on many different sites) showing a chopped up, booger sized frag accompanied by a silly price tag and a “no lowballs, I know what I got” in the listing is honestly pretty tiring.

Been reefing for many years, and things tend to gently correct over time.

Bpones

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
During COVID there was a lot of people that just needed something to do to entertain themselves and keep busy. Some people who were already in the hobby probably indulged even further during these times, and some people maybe got started reefing to pick up a new hobby.

And economic factors almost certainly play a part. When rent/housing is costing more than ever, grocery prices going up and up, etc., people are being more selective with how they use their expendable income (if any).

That said, I still see reasonably priced gear and frags sell (and rather quickly). And I think that the over commoditization of coral has led to some burnout. It is increasingly common to see people who buy over priced corals with the mindset of “I can sell frags of this for so much.” And the growing number of posts over the years (on many different sites) showing a chopped up, booger sized frag accompanied by a silly price tag and a “no lowballs, I know what I got” in the listing is honestly pretty tiring.

Been reefing for many years, and things tend to gently correct over time.
My least favorite part of this hobby is the “frag bro’s”. People who see dollar signs instead of living art, cherished pets, tiny pieces of nature.

So many people in my area treat reefing like a mix of stock market trading and crypto coins. And yeah, that mentality will lead to burn out for most folks as soon as something goes wrong and they aren’t making the wild profits they dreamt of.

Jimbo327

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Every hobby from plants to pokemon cards were booming during pandemic because everyone was locked in, got free government checks, and had nowhere outside to spend their money on.

Now it is back to reality with high rent, student loans, and basically all inflation on everything. It is harder to find the extra money to spend on hobbies. So obviously, reefing is probably very high on the extra $ hobby list to cut.

I also think social media really gives the wrong impression for newbie reefers. It all looks so easy and instant full grown reefs. It's all great until dinos, byropsis, cyano, nuisance algae or some pest shows up and wrecks most new reefs. It's hard to stay motivated when your tank looks like a brown wasteland vs. the rainbow glowing reefs on IG with the bumping music. The worst is all of the overpriced commercialized products out there, it's basically sucking you dry because you want to fix things and get to that IG reef.

I spend a lot on this hobby, but I also keep grounded by doing a lot of DIY and mix my own supplements to keep cost down. That allows me to splurge on choice corals that I want.

Last edited:

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I strongly feel that the reefing community was much more active during COVID. Many new people were joining, and there was a lot of buying and selling. Any equipment or frags would sell rapidly at relatively high prices.

However, since last year, we've started to see more people quitting, and selling frags has become much more difficult. Many frags are left without buyers for a long time.

I guess this isn't a good sign. It's partly due to the return to office after COVID, but it could also be a reflection of where the economy is heading. Any thoughts?

Pet shelters are overflowing with unwanted dogs and cats too.

People started lots of 'pet' projects during COVID and a lot of those are being dumped and forgotten now.

Just a couple of days ago, my son who just turned 21, remarked that he'd forgotten that 4 years ago we were all at home wearing masks.

It's good, it means things are normalising and healing after a savage blow to most peoples psyche.

IS YOUR REEF AUTOMATED? WHY OR WHY NOT?

• Yes, my tank is almost fully automated.

Votes: 20 25.0%
  • Yes, I have some automation in my tank.

Votes: 29 36.3%
  • Yes, but I have very little automation in my tank.

Votes: 20 25.0%
  • No, I have no automation in my tank.

Votes: 11 13.8%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back