2 for 1: BEST FISH & INVERT for cleaning sand and eating algae!

Do you have a specific fish or invert that you always keep for helping keep the aquarium clean?

• I have a fish and an invert I always keep for cleaning.

Votes: 311 55.7%
  • I just have a fish I keep for cleaning.

Votes: 24 4.3%
  • I just have an invert I keep for cleaning.

Votes: 135 24.2%
  • I don't have a specific fish or invert I always keep for cleaning.

Votes: 85 15.2%
  • Other (please explain in the thread)

Votes: 3 0.5%

• Total voters

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
2 for 1: BEST FISH & INVERT for cleaning sand and eating algae!

It's a 2 for 1 kind of Friday and today we're going to talk about what you think in the best fish and the best invert for two very important aquarium tasks! Keeping the sand clean and keeping the algae eaten! YES!

Sand gets ugly at times and (along with our own regular maintenance) needs a critter or fish to help keep it stirred and cleaned. Along with that is nasty algae that can begin to grow and various fish and inverts may or may not eat it depending on the type. So there are several variables at play here but today we're going to focus on the BEST of these in our own opinion. So now I need your opinion on the matter by answering the following questions.

1. What is the best invert and fish that is best for keeping the sand stirred and clean?

2. What is the best invert and fish that is best for keeping aquarium algae eaten?

@bubbaque's beautiful blue spotted jawfish
710CC19B-AF63-451D-860B-CCCF122585A7.jpeg

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
diamond gobies might put the sand rinse thread out of business

I once asked a fella to drop test his sand on cell video where only the miniscule fish was employed to do work

I got my popcorn ready for a sandstorm and it passed plain as day, I thought, 'huh' well that was pretty thorough. you little sifting rascal you did it. well played

Last edited:

BradB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 yellow tangs and a lawnmower blenny, which eat a lot of algae but are really cool fish in themselves. Ctenochaetus are similar, but I don't have one now.

The question seems to ask if people keep ugly or boring animals because they keep the tank clean, and I can't think of any that fit that (maybe snails).

stanleo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would never have a reef tank without blue leg hermits and astrea snails. I do think gobies are essentual however after my tiger goby died a while back I am worried about getting another goby. I had diamond gobies in my first tank but they never seemed to last long either. It's weird because in this tank I have had a sand sifting starfish for 18 months that shows no signs of withering away and I have read they don't last long, maybe 6 months.

H3rm1tCr@b

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. What is the best invert and fish that is best for keeping the sand stirred and clean?
I would say a pistol shrimp and goby. They stir the sand better than any snail or crab I've ever gotten. I really gotta get another pair.
2. What is the best invert and fish that is best for keeping aquarium algae eaten?

I would say snails/chitons and blennies of sorts. Never kept a blenny before but I have heard that they are great.
When it comes to an invert that I always keep for algae control, I would have to vote hermit crabs. I love their antics, and they do decent jobs of eating leftover stuff.

PicassoClown04

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fire shrimp go in every one of my tanks. I feed heavy so the detritus clean up is much appreciated! I also love how we form a bond over time and they feel safe enough around me to eat from my fingers and ride around my arm while I’m in the tank. Feels good to be loved like that

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sand sifting species of goby and/or a conch for the sand.

Short or long spines sea urchin for the the algae along with just about any tang or foxface.

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
How do y'all think a blue spotted jawfish does for sifting sand?

Drewb628

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Someone was reading my mind. I am 3 months into my first tank, and after a spout of marine velvet a few weeks ago (yeah bad luck) I have about 1 month left on my fallow period. I have some Coraline algae popping up and was deciding on some CuC for maintenance until I can reintroduce my fish. Perfect timing.

mermaid_life

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right now my one tang does the best job. He constantly whips his tail around to clean out his caves. Awesome for me since I can't reach in there to clean the sand!

Calm Blue Ocean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Tiger Sand Conch, hands down, best cleaner. He will eat anything that grows, even climbing rocks sometimes to get the best morsels (wish he was a better climber, I'd never have trouble with algae again). When the rest of the CUC members turn their noses up at something, the conch will eat it. Love that guy. Best part is that I got him mostly for utility but he turned out to be a really cool creature on top of that. Definitely a guy I'd always want in my tank.

WHITE BUCKET CHALLENGE : How CLEAR do you think your water is in your reef aquarium? Show us your water!

• Crystal Clear

Votes: 93 42.1%
  • Mostly clear with a tint of yellow

Votes: 110 49.8%
  • More yellow than clear

Votes: 7 3.2%
  • YUCKY YELLOW

Votes: 4 1.8%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 7 3.2%
Back