2 for 1: BEST FISH & INVERT for cleaning sand and eating algae!

Do you have a specific fish or invert that you always keep for helping keep the aquarium clean?

• I have a fish and an invert I always keep for cleaning.

Votes: 310 55.7%
  • I just have a fish I keep for cleaning.

Votes: 24 4.3%
  • I just have an invert I keep for cleaning.

Votes: 135 24.2%
  • I don't have a specific fish or invert I always keep for cleaning.

Votes: 85 15.3%
  • Other (please explain in the thread)

Votes: 3 0.5%

• Total voters

Calm Blue Ocean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m thinking about getting a conch for it 20 gallon. Will be damage my corrals in the sand bed ?

I haven't tried keeping corals on the sand in a while, not because of the conch, but my pistol shrimp is pretty sure anything on the sand might be a good door for his new building project. That said, my conch goes where my conch wants to go. He's like a bull in a china shop sometimes, except I've never seen him harm anything that he's run over in his clumsiness. He doesn't throw sand and has never eaten anything that he shouldn't. I just wouldn't discount the possibility that he might go right over and through or maybe shift something over if it's on the sand (although that holds true for pretty much everyone in my CUC).

Wayne P.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Best boy right here. I also have a Lawnmower blenny,2 fighting conchs, and 1 green brittle star.
Little punk buries coral though, so thats his con.

diamond goby.jpg

Keeps my sand like this. Very shinny, i have pictures where corals disappear because the sand is so reflective. LOL
August 2020.jpg
I've got that guy, paired with a Tiger Pistol Shrimp. I thought it was the shrimp burying the frags. When I had them on the sand bed I would find them pulled towards his hole in the sand. Garfield and Odie.

Fishurama

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got that guy, paired with a Tiger Pistol Shrimp. I thought it was the shrimp burying the frags. When I had them on the sand bed I would find them pulled towards his hole in the sand. Garfield and Odie.
Haha it's the diamond goby, they use their mouth to move things. I have a few frag plugs of left over and/or dead frags or snail shells, and it uses them as a door to brace it's home from falling in. Smart fish.

20200901_135950.jpg

breefrost

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really want a sea star! Would you recommend one for a wayyy smaller tank though? Mine is only 25g?
I agree with SmugglersReef, a sand sifting star probably wouldnt be able to get enough to eat. But there are many other kinds of sea stars you can try out! Chocolate chip stars are common. Most stars you can hand feed little pieces of meaty food occasionally and are much more enjoyable rather than a sand star which stays buried most of the time.

Back