30 Gallon Stocking

ReefToad

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone, I've got a 30 gallon fish and live rock only tank that currently houses a tailspot blenny and a court jester goby. As I'm sure you're all aware they're quite small in the space, so I'd like to add 2, maaaaaybe 3 more fish. Eventually I would like to add soke corals, primarily euphyllia as they are my favorite. With that in mind, what fish would get along with the 2 I currently have? Also are there any clean up crew members I should avoid or will Hermits and snails be okay? Thanks for reading! :)

ShakeyGizzard

RedNeck Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is a wide variety of ways to stock the tank. But you are limited on what fish you can have in that size tank. There is a ton of you tube videos with stocking ideas for your size tank. I would check them out and see the kind of fish they use for stocking. You need to research each fish you want or plan to add for compatibility.

edit: clean up crew is a must, be careful, some fish will kill your clean up crew, research, research

Gumbies R Us

Certified Noob
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With a 30g you have a pretty good variety of fish you can add to your tank. I have a 20g with a watchman, firefish, and 2 Picasso clowns. Cuc I have snails, hermits and a tuxedo. There’s a couple people on here who have 30g tanks. Maybe they can chime in with how their tanks are stocked!

AlyciaMarie

Where's my anemone?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone, I've got a 30 gallon fish and live rock only tank that currently houses a tailspot blenny and a court jester goby. As I'm sure you're all aware they're quite small in the space, so I'd like to add 2, maaaaaybe 3 more fish. Eventually I would like to add soke corals, primarily euphyllia as they are my favorite. With that in mind, what fish would get along with the 2 I currently have? Also are there any clean up crew members I should avoid or will Hermits and snails be okay? Thanks for reading! :)
Some people are anti-clowns, but I'm a sucker for them. There are so many varieties of them, too, so you have many options if you decide to go that route! Just make sure you pick out a small variety of clowns because clowns can become huge.

OP
OP
ReefToad

ReefToad

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is a wide variety of ways to stock the tank. But you are limited on what fish you can have in that size tank. There is a ton of you tube videos with stocking ideas for your size tank. I would check them out and see the kind of fish they use for stocking. You need to research each fish you want or plan to add for compatibility.

edit: clean up crew is a must, be careful, some fish will kill your clean up crew, research, research
Thank you, so far just a tailspot blenny and court jester goby. Going to the lfs tomorrow so I'll decide on the "main" fish and clean up crew then. I've researched a few options so I know whether to go with snails, Hermits, or urchins.

OP
OP
ReefToad

ReefToad

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some people are anti-clowns, but I'm a sucker for them. There are so many varieties of them, too, so you have many options if you decide to go that route! Just make sure you pick out a small variety of clowns because clowns can become huge.
I'm not at all opposed to clowns, I just already have some in another tank so I wanted to try something new. I was considering maybe a pygmy angel, and a pair of ocellaris? I'd get them all as juveniles and add them together to minimize aggression.

littlefoxx

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not at all opposed to clowns, I just already have some in another tank so I wanted to try something new. I was considering maybe a pygmy angel, and a pair of ocellaris? I'd get them all as juveniles and add them together to minimize aggression.
The cherub angel would work, small little angel but I wouldnt put any other angel in there size wise. My 32 biocube has a trio of breeding saltwater mollies, clown pair, baggani cardinal, zebra goby, starry blenny, neon dottyback and a baby hi-fin snapper (moving him to my 300 when he is big enough that my eels cant eat him lol cause he would be a snack at his size)

OP
OP
ReefToad

ReefToad

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With a 30g you have a pretty good variety of fish you can add to your tank. I have a 20g with a watchman, firefish, and 2 Picasso clowns. Cuc I have snails, hermits and a tuxedo. There’s a couple people on here who have 30g tanks. Maybe they can chime in with how their tanks are stocked!
Sounds like a good variety! I was hoping to hear from others like yourself to get an idea of what people have had luck keeping together. Also maybe someone who knows about some oddballs that would do well. I love the peculiar fish lol.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

IS YOUR REEF AUTOMATED? WHY OR WHY NOT?

• Yes, my tank is almost fully automated.

Votes: 12 27.3%
  • Yes, I have some automation in my tank.

Votes: 15 34.1%
  • Yes, but I have very little automation in my tank.

Votes: 10 22.7%
  • No, I have no automation in my tank.

Votes: 7 15.9%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back