Votes: 14 13.0%

• Total voters

BZOFIQ

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
I prefer DC because I can throw everything on 12/24/48V system and not worry about stupid losses with APC units.

Then there is the consolidation factor where you dont have million power supplies.

PharmrJohn

The Dude Abides
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Back 15 years ago, there was no D/C that I was aware of. I liked my Mag9.5s. Had one handling the skimmer and one handling the return. And a bunch of Koralias in the tank. Only thing was I had to plumb with adjustable flow joints (for lack of a better term) to scale down both the 9.5s in case I needed to. I didn't really like the set up. My next iteration will have D/C everywhere.

Serpentman2024

Back at it after a 12yr hiatus
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
DC pumps weren't much of a thing "back in the day". Since I've rejoined the fray, I'm a big fan of DC. Quiet, energy efficient and adjustable. Definitely going the DC route for future equipment.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only just recently. It sounds pretty snazzy! I would love to ditch all the bricks!

magikfly

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If all was equal, I would prefer dc equipment be the standard just from a safety standpoint. Ac used to be cheap as dirt and bulletproof. Ac pumps can be a bit louder but it’s more of a white noise hum to me. Dc pretty silent but that whir sometimes bothers me but that’s just my brain/auditory dis function. I think having variable speed is good for some, but at the same time a hurdle for others. Sometimes, some people would just be better off with on or off being the only option. I do despise the power brick though! Here a brick, there a brick, everywhere a brick! A bunch of hot potatoes laying around. I always thought a universal dc power supply/strip with 12 and 24 volt standardized plugs would be cool beans.
You mean like this?

CoastalTownLayabout

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Acdc GIF
Premium Aussie live rock.

Reefering1

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This entire topic seems very risky to me... I'm a bit surprised that more people don't like their current going "both ways", it's 2024 afterall

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Back 15 years ago, there was no D/C that I was aware of.
I was approached back in 2008 or 2009 by a prospective importer to do some testing for on some DC aquarium pumps to market toward the hobby. A year or two later DC pumps were imported as the Waveline series of DC pumps for the hobby and a few other brand names (same basic pump, same factory just as most still are).

Larger industrial DC pump and drive applications have been around for decades. Historically pumps (and lights) used in this hobby were direct industrial adaptations and DC pumps were just too expensive to bother with. That (with the boom of Chinese consumer goods) has changed and now items are developed directly for use in the hobby at a far larger scale than they were over the last few decades.

There are some newer designs (different stator winding configuration and number of poles) but most of the DC pumps have changed very little from the DC aquarium pumps I tested in 2008 or so.

AC and DC pumps vary greatly in their torque capabilities and they way they are speed controlled.

Without getting into a lot of detail (and with a few notable exceptions), DC pumps do not work well in high head applications and if watt per gallon is considered, AC pumps typically outperform DC pumps except in very small applications.

DC pumps are better suited to low head low power applications both from an operating efficiency and manufacturing cost perspective. When scaled up for higher head/flow the manufacturing cost rises significantly compared to AC and efficiency drops. Durability comes at a higher cost too.

Last edited:

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I vote DC all the way.
...but,,, uhh,,, most of us use heaters, so there's that
A watt is a watt - there is no reason that DC can't be used to drive a resistance heating element. I am not advising that you convert your titanium heater by lopping the cord off and connecting to to a DC source but....

apb03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like both, but neither serves all use cases. DC is more efficient, adjustable, and quieter, but it adds tons of wire clutter. Sometimes all you need and want is a simple AC device.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HOW OFTEN DO YOU BUY NEW CORAL?

• Weekly.

Votes: 8 6.7%
  • Monthly.

Votes: 21 17.6%
  • Every several months.

Votes: 28 23.5%
  • A few times a year.

Votes: 32 26.9%
  • Once a year.

Votes: 5 4.2%
  • I'd rather not say as I don't want to leave a digital footprint for my significant other...

Votes: 20 16.8%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 5 4.2%
Back