Acan coral deflated and other corals not well

Radicalrob1982

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20241005_123427.jpg

Not sure why but acan coral is always half deflated ot worse.

Current tank params and condition:

Nitrate: 5ppm
Alk: 9.7
Calc: 420
Mag: 1400
Phos: unreadable (just getting over cyano, on tail end of getting rid of it)

Lighting: 1 21" AI blade grow set at 80/60/40

Low to moderate flow throughout tank.

I recently also lost my birdsnest coral. My Monti cap is also rather white looking. Some others said it was likely tissue loss rather than belachihg.

Seems my parameters other than phos are all ok. Nitrate goes between 5 to 10 ppm but from what I know this is more than acceptable.

Do you think the cyano is toxic in anyway and starved them?

Just not sure, other than low phos, what would cause my corals not to be happy. Will be soon buying the Hanna ulr phos checker to see what is happening. 20241005_123436.jpg 20241005_123421.jpg

OP
OP
R

Radicalrob1982

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never used that light but it's probably not enough along with no phosphate.
The light supposedly puts out 80 par at 24 inches at full intensity. I'm about 17 inches to the sand bed, but my acanbis also a couple inches above the sand on a rock. So I'm guessing it's getting at least 100 to 120 par. Wouldn't that be enough for an acan? My zoas seem happy.

Dburr1014

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The light supposedly puts out 80 par at 24 inches at full intensity. I'm about 17 inches to the sand bed, but my acanbis also a couple inches above the sand on a rock. So I'm guessing it's getting at least 100 to 120 par. Wouldn't that be enough for an acan? My zoas seem happy.
Should be. How about flow?

OP
OP
R

Radicalrob1982

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have low to moderate flow. I have one aquadream power head in the tank rated for 1650 gpm but set on speed 5, I would guess aeiu s 800 gpm? Tank is 25 Gallon, 24*16*16. It's faster at the top but not all that strong on the bottom. I use it to keep a good agitation on the surface to give good gas exchange.

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't put my finger on one thing, but it seems like minimum light, minimum flow, and minimum nutrients, and to me that means minimal results. Parameters are all fine, so then it comes down to light and flow.

I would suggest to start with renting a par meter, you are admittedly guessing based on the manufacturers claim which is often over-exaggerated. Just my 2 cents.

Dburr1014

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't put my finger on one thing, but it seems like minimum light, minimum flow, and minimum nutrients, and to me that means minimal results. Parameters are all fine, so then it comes down to light and flow.

I would suggest to start with renting a par meter, you are admittedly guessing based on the manufacturers claim which is often over-exaggerated. Just my 2 cents.
All true.

OP
OP
R

Radicalrob1982

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I understand as they measure this through the air vs water. I also own a or3 24 inch blue plus which could help with par.

My live rock was from my old tank that leaked, so I had to start over. It sat out of the tank for a day, so I had to do a small wait until my new tank cycled so I could safely add my fish.

I'm still battling cyano at the moment but to me, it looks like it's been going away slowly but surely. I dose microbacter 7 along with weekly water changes. I also turkey baste the rocks and sand daily, and replace my filter floss with clean stuff. Since dosing the microbacter, I've been noticing an increase in nitrate. Before, it was difficult to keep them at 5ppm. Now it hovers between 5 and 10 ppm.

OP
OP
R

Radicalrob1982

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just don't want to waste or endanger any more coral until I get my studd together with parameters.

I'm considering adding one more fish to help with nutrients. Currently have two juvenile clowns, about 1.5 long and 1 watchman goby.

Do you guys have any recommendations on another fish? It's been a few weeks since I put in the goby. So far, all my fish are happy.

Tank dimensions are 24*16*16. Need a non aggressive and small recommendation as the tank isn't that long. I was considering the below based on research and recommendations:

Clown goby
Tailspot blenny
Will a cardinal of any sort work? I think too small of tank?
Wrasse?
Royal Gramma?

I don't have a lid but would consider getting one

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back