Anemone suddenly not okay?

Jennduhh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick post.
My anemone has been fine for 2 weeks now, opening & closing every day as normal, anchored itself to a spot it liked, eating normally, etc.
Woke up today and it looks like this.
I put it in a floating basket to make it easier to scoop our, in case it dies, but what could've caused it to do this? Is this normal? Google hasn't been any help so far.

OP
OP
J

Jennduhh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I had taken photos this morning, but theyre not compatible with the chat boards.
I just took these & it actually looks BETTER than it did this morning, but im still 99% certain it's dead/dying & now it has stringy things coming from it.

Attachments

• 20240726_210025.jpg
    20240726_210025.jpg
    120.8 KB · Views: 33
  • 20240726_210032.jpg
    20240726_210032.jpg
    134 KB · Views: 31
  • 20240726_210102.jpg
    20240726_210102.jpg
    121.5 KB · Views: 32
  • 20240726_210140.jpg
    20240726_210140.jpg
    190.9 KB · Views: 34

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
So I had taken photos this morning, but theyre not compatible with the chat boards.
I just took these & it actually looks BETTER than it did this morning, but im still 99% certain it's dead/dying & now it has stringy things coming from it.
Its foot is falling apart and not a good sign, in fact bad sign. Can be a change in water quality, change in lighting, High phosphate, low salinity or starvation as it also looks bleached, lacking color

Ironic_Water

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When did you get this anemone? Is it getting enough lighting, for example? Anything else in the tank in shock?

OP
OP
J

Jennduhh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When did you get this anemone? Is it getting enough lighting, for example? Anything else in the tank in shock?
Had it about 2 weeks. It's been fine up until this morning. It was attached to a rock and inflated normally last night when the lights went out. It's get 14hours on, 10 hours off (my work schedule).
Params are all pretty spot on. Phosphate is sitting .004. It ate a few wayward pieces of mysis yesterday and has just seemed generally happy until I woke up this morning and found it as it is.

I can see more of its actual foot now & less of the fluffy, gut looking stuff if that matters at all?

Also, my clown did start to attempt it's "move" into the anemone while it was all inflated yesterday. At first I thought that may have been what aggravated it, but I've never seen this happen from that transition(idk what other word to use lol)

Is there anything I can do to help it or prevent it from dying or is it past the PONR?

OP
OP
J

Jennduhh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And grabbing it with tweezers is not a great idea...
I know. In the image it's hard to tell, but im not actually grabbing the anemone, more scooping it up with the tweezers. It's just sitting on the tongs. I didn't want to risk hurting it anymore by grabbing it with my hand.

Ironic_Water

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had it about 2 weeks. It's been fine up until this morning. It was attached to a rock and inflated normally last night when the lights went out. It's get 14hours on, 10 hours off (my work schedule).
Params are all pretty spot on. Phosphate is sitting .004. It ate a few wayward pieces of mysis yesterday and has just seemed generally happy until I woke up this morning and found it as it is.

I can see more of its actual foot now & less of the fluffy, gut looking stuff if that matters at all?

Also, my clown did start to attempt it's "move" into the anemone while it was all inflated yesterday. At first I thought that may have been what aggravated it, but I've never seen this happen from that transition(idk what other word to use lol)

Is there anything I can do to help it or prevent it from dying or is it past the PONR?
Make sure you watch it like a hawk - when anemones die, things can get nasty fast.

BTA's also require a healthy dose of PAR - could you describe your lighting equipment? Though the fact it has turned so fast speaks to something else...

Have you done a hearty water change yet? First thing I'd do.

OP
OP
J

Jennduhh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How old is the tank? By putting it in a box, you remove its ability to find a spot it likes.
The tank itself is newish, but the environment itself has been established for 4+ years. All of the water & inhabitants got moved due to a break in the glass. This tank was originally a quarantine tank, but all the water & rock was transferred from the broken tank, aside from about 2 gallons that was lost from the break in the glass which was replaced with new saltwater.

OP
OP
J

Jennduhh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Make sure you watch it like a hawk - when anemones die, things can get nasty fast.

BTA's also require a healthy dose of PAR - could you describe your lighting equipment? Though the fact it has turned so fast speaks to something else...

Have you done a hearty water change yet? First thing I'd do.
That was why I moved it into the breeder pod, still proper flow & lighting, but separated in case it dies, that way I don't have to worry about all the bits & pieces as much.

I haven't done a water change in about 72 hours. Think it's worth a try at this point?

Also, I'm not 100% on the PAR.
It's a BioCube, but I can't find any accurate information on accurate par levels for the lighting. LFS (PetCo) said it was more than enough lighting for anemones & soft corals being a smaller tank.

Ironic_Water

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That was why I moved it into the breeder pod, still proper flow & lighting, but separated in case it dies, that way I don't have to worry about all the bits & pieces as much.

I haven't done a water change in about 72 hours. Think it's worth a try at this point?

Also, I'm not 100% on the PAR.
It's a BioCube, but I can't find any accurate information on accurate par levels for the lighting. LFS (PetCo) said it was more than enough lighting for anemones & soft corals being a smaller tank.
If something happened chemically in your tank, it's worth a try to water change - for example, if a toxin was released last night that hurt the anemone, a water change could help it recover.

It could be physical damage too, like from a powerhead. In anycase, a big waterchange wouldn't hurt just in case the damage is due to something new happening in your tank chemically.

What's your lighting (as in the brand/model)? (Edit - sorry, didn't realize BioCube has its own lights). We can see their PAR maps to get an idea of the PAR in your tank. If you bought the anemone at a chain store, the issue with the anemone may not actually be your fault, and started months ago. Depends on how competent they are.

So many things this could be of course. But yeah, water change for sure.

Ironic_Water

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

OP
OP
J

Jennduhh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If something happened chemically in your tank, it's worth a try to water change - for example, if a toxin was released last night that hurt the anemone, a water change could help it recover.

It could be physical damage too, like from a powerhead. In anycase, a big waterchange wouldn't hurt just in case the damage is due to something new happening in your tank chemically.

What's your lighting (as in the brand/model)? (Edit - sorry, didn't realize BioCube has its own lights). We can see their PAR maps to get an idea of the PAR in your tank. If you bought the anemone at a chain store, the issue with the anemone may not actually be your fault, and started months ago. Depends on how competent they are.

So many things this could be of course. But yeah, water change for sure.
Kay, I'll do that immediately then. It wasn't overly expensive, but I dont like the thought of any creature suffering a slow death, even "brainless" ones lol

I'll update in the morning to see if it's caput, or if the water change seems to help at all.

Thank you for all of your input. I'll read thw BioCube article before I do the waterchange, too.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back