Angel for 300 gallon??

• Total voters

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys. Almost finalized my list. Debate here is angels… what do you all think? The queen and emperor are my favorite angels. What do you guys think of adding both together last as juveniles? Or should I get one over the other??? Thoughts and votes welcome! :) Tank is 96x24x29. Probably going to be FOWLR. Considering corals for color but due to fish choice if I did I would probably only do GSP/xenia that spread like wildfire and are hardy for the coral nippers. Like I said corals are a maybe, fish always come first for me!

sc50964

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Go both and they will do fine. They are different enough. I got them both in the same tank.

OP
OP
littlefoxx

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Go both and they will do fine. They are different enough. I got them both in the same tank.
Really??? Do you have pictures? Both are beautiful. Did you get them as juveniles too?

OP
OP
littlefoxx

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For reference, stocking list:

Tangs: 9

Naso

Unicorn

Hippo

Bristletooth

Orange shoulder

Atlantic blue tang

Sailfin

Purple

Gold rim

Angels: 2

Queen ADD LAST

Emperor ADD LAST

Butterflies: 3

Saddleback

Raccoon

Melon

Eels: 4

Snowflake

Jeweled

White eye

Zebra or skeletor

Misc. 6

Maroon clown (x 2)

Moorish Idol

Foxface

PP

Marine betta

Bird wrasse

Red coris wrasse

25 total fish

sc50964

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really??? Do you have pictures? Both are beautiful. Did you get them as juveniles too?
Got queen at 4”. Added the emperor about one year ago.
IMG_8737.jpeg IMG_8736.jpeg IMG_8733.jpeg

sc50964

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Naso

Unicorn

Hippo

Bristletooth

Orange shoulder

Atlantic blue tang

Sailfin

Purple

Gold rim

Queen ADD LAST

Emperor ADD LAST

Saddleback

Raccoon

Melon

Snowflake

Jeweled

White eye

Zebra or skeletor

Misc. 6

Maroon clown (x 2)

Moorish Idol

Foxface

PP

Marine betta

Bird wrasse

Red coris wrasse

25 total fish
Hope not all these go to 300G

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys. Almost finalized my list. Debate here is angels… what do you all think? The queen and emperor are my favorite angels. What do you guys think of adding both together last as juveniles? Or should I get one over the other??? Thoughts and votes welcome! :) Tank is 96x24x29. Probably going to be FOWLR. Considering corals for color but due to fish choice if I did I would probably only do GSP/xenia that spread like wildfire and are hardy for the coral nippers. Like I said corals are a maybe, fish always come first for me!
I’ve had a similar conversation in the LFS and honestly in tanks of this size you can have both fairly easily :)

I would add them at the same time personally but they do also seem to get along when added separately.

OP
OP
littlefoxx

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hope not all these go to 300G
Thats my wish list of species Im considering in general, Ill need to subtract some I know :) if you have any suggestions which to cut Im open since its super hard cause these fish are all beautiful! Still trying to figure out which fish would be the best fit and which ones are must haves. The must haves is what Im trying to figure out so I can plan the stocking around them. I have the maroon clowns, snowflake and jeweled eels, marine betta, naso, hippo, bristletooth unicorn, foxface and porcupine puffer currently.

sc50964

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats my wish list of species Im considering in general, Ill need to subtract some I know :) if you have any suggestions which to cut Im open since its super hard cause these fish are all beautiful! Still trying to figure out which fish would be the best fit and which ones are must haves. The must haves is what Im trying to figure out so I can plan the stocking around them. I have the maroon clowns, snowflake and jeweled eels, marine betta, naso, hippo, bristletooth unicorn, foxface and porcupine puffer currently.
Naso or Unicorn, but not both.

Hippo is okay

Bristletooth is okay

Orange shoulder or Atlantic blue tang

No Sailfin as it gets huge

No Purple as they are more aggressive

Gold rim is okay

And just one of the large wrasses

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Hippo is okay

Bristletooth is okay

Gold rim is okay

Honestly I’d say both Orange Shoulder and Atlantic Blue are okay - They’re different enough to work.
Definitely agree with the Purple and Sailfin though, I’ve yet to see an adult Sailfin that isn’t the size of a dinner plate - I currently work around 2. And purples… well, any Zebrasoma I’ve found to be hell when settled (even Scopas, in fact they’ve been the absolute worst for me).

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Naso

Unicorn

Hippo

Bristletooth

Orange shoulder

Atlantic blue tang

Sailfin

Purple

Gold rim

Queen ADD LAST

Emperor ADD LAST

Saddleback

Raccoon

Melon

Snowflake

Jeweled

White eye

Zebra or skeletor

Misc. 6

Maroon clown (x 2)

Moorish Idol

Foxface

PP

Marine betta

Bird wrasse

Red coris wrasse

25 total fish
Both wrasses would work out IMHO, just remember the Bird Wrasse is smaller with 6-7 inches at max size being most common (they grow fast to 3/4 inches but then slow a ton as they get bigger).
Red Coris are good but remember to be cautious with them and aggression.

OP
OP
littlefoxx

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Hippo is okay

Bristletooth is okay

Gold rim is okay

Gotcha. I have the naso and unicorn (vlamingii) already. Both are still juveniles. Will need to rehome one as they grow. And you think the sailfin is too big for a 300, or just with the fish? Ive had two purple tangs, loved them. But their cost is super raised now so probably out of the question for that option. And yeah I was going to do one wrasse since they get big, just not sure which one! Updated list:

Naso
Unicorn
Hippo
Bristletooth
Orange shoulder
Gold rim
Queen angel
Emperor angel
Raccoon butterfly
Melon butterfly
Snowflake
Jeweled
White eye or skeletor
Maroon clown (x 2)
Moorish Idol
Foxface
PP
Marine betta
Bird wrasse

OP
OP
littlefoxx

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Both wrasses would work out IMHO, just remember the Bird Wrasse is smaller with 6-7 inches at max size being most common (they grow fast to 3/4 inches but then slow a ton as they get bigger).
Red Coris are good but remember to be cautious with them and aggression.
Tough. I love the way the bird wrasse swims but the coris is beautiful… lol. Leaning toward the bird

OP
OP
littlefoxx

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly I’d say both Orange Shoulder and Atlantic Blue are okay - They’re different enough to work.
Definitely agree with the Purple and Sailfin though, I’ve yet to see an adult Sailfin that isn’t the size of a dinner plate - I currently work around 2. And purples… well, any Zebrasoma I’ve found to be hell when settled (even Scopas, in fact they’ve been the absolute worst for me).
I havnt had any super bad ones! I love purples but dang their price went up a ton.
Lucked out with mine being 80 (HLLE rescue). I miss her, she passed from old age

sc50964

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gotcha. I have the naso and unicorn (vlamingii) already. Both are still juveniles. Will need to rehome one as they grow. And you think the sailfin is too big for a 300, or just with the fish? Ive had two purple tangs, loved them. But their cost is super raised now so probably out of the question for that option. And yeah I was going to do one wrasse since they get big, just not sure which one! Updated list:

Naso
Unicorn
Hippo
Bristletooth
Orange shoulder
Gold rim
Queen angel
Emperor angel
Raccoon butterfly
Melon butterfly
Snowflake
Jeweled
White eye or skeletor
Maroon clown (x 2)
Moorish Idol
Foxface
PP
Marine betta
Bird wrasse
Unicorn, naso, and sailfin can all get more than 1’. Sailfin is the more aggressive species out of the three. 300G just isn’t big enough for more than one of these large tangs, especially you also have many other fish.

OP
OP
littlefoxx

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unicorn, naso, and sailfin can all get more than 1’. Sailfin is the more aggressive species out of the three. 300G just isn’t big enough for more than one of these large tangs, especially you also have many other fish.
Gotcha. Going to have to choose between the naso and unicorn as they get bigger then :( want my fishies to be happy and have enough room. Wont do a sailfin at all

sc50964

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe…. but mixing Acanthurus is just risky. Gold rim is known to be more timid than other Acanthurus. Atlantic blues live in a different ocean than the other two so there is a chance. It will have the least risk if just one of each tang genus is kept.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe…. but mixing Acanthurus is just risky. Gold rim is known to be more timid than other Acanthurus. Atlantic blues live in a different ocean than the other two so there is a chance. It will have the least risk if just one of each tang genus is kept.
Definitely but as with everything in this hobby it’s always worth taking a risk if you can quickly intervene.

DOES TANK SIZE MATTER WHEN TRYING TO MAINTAIN A STABLE ENVIRONMENT FOR YOUR REEF?

• Yes, the environment in smaller tanks is harder to maintain.

Votes: 25 59.5%
  • Yes, the environment in larger tank is harder to maintain.

Votes: 1 2.4%
  • Reef environments are hard to maintain no matter the size of the tank.

Votes: 9 21.4%
  • You have problems maintaining your reef's environment? Noob.

Votes: 4 9.5%
  • Other (Please explain!)

Votes: 3 7.1%
Back